Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth Without Toxic Signs

Dante

They were treated with androsterone - 50mg - 150mg daily by injection. Not as shocking as treatment with DHT but still pretty close given that androsterone is also being blamed for hirsuitism. The study about reversing liver cirrhosis with testosterone and thiamine said the same thing - that DHT should be used in women instead of testosterone because (counterintuitively) DHT had a lot less virilizing effects on women than T did. So, it seems the virilizing effects need estrogen and strong non-aromatizable androgens like DHT and androsterone do not have as high risk virilization/hirsuitism.
So, age related hairy-ness like hair on ears, shoulders and all the unwanted places should not be blamed on DHT ?

Dante

It blocks the androgen receptor and will stop your hair loss in its tracks. It does NOT effect circulating hormone levels like T, DHT and estrogen, but it produces bad anti androgenic side effects because T and DHT can't bind to the receptor. So what does that do? It makes the receptor more available to estrogen. Once estrogen binds to it, it is going to exhibit estrogenic effects obviously.
A genuine doubt here. So, while i am not sure if it's true but i thought once the receptor protein is blocked, generally no ligand can attach to it. estrogen has very little preference for the AR , so if strong androgens can't bind to it how come can estrogen ? i thought the blocking agent must have some half life during which it keeps attached to the AR.

TubZy

A genuine doubt here. So, while i am not sure if it's true but i thought once the receptor protein is blocked, generally no ligand can attach to it. estrogen has very little preference for the AR , so if strong androgens can't bind to it how come can estrogen ? i thought the blocking agent must have some half life during which it keeps attached to the AR.

I thought that too originally as which is why I gave RU a shot after coming off fin, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

If you look up RU58841 you will see hundreds of reports of nipple sensitivity, gyno, puffy nipples etc. all in line with estrogen. I had nipple sensitivity while using it but no gyno although I have a close friend you who used it for one week and developed mild gyno from RU. Keep in mind this is a topical solution applied to the scalp.

LeeLemonoil

You clearly don't understand the difference between receptor and circulating hormone. I'm referring to the receptor in the study

I think I do - and no, I surely won't "google" some anecdotal brabble about an experimental agent for hairloss treatment.

The doubt is justified. If this agent blocks the AR, it will not lead to estrogens binding to it. If users experience effecs "in line with estrogen" then it is a propietary effect of the agent and it's mechanisms of action - to which blocking of the AR might be part of but not the sole culprit of the side effects and not the binding of estrogenic steroids on it.

Lavender and Tea Tree oils are used for hundreds of years, and are used every day by many males. If such drastic actions would be caused by small quantities of them, there would be many more reports, epspecially if they were able to block a nuclear receptor like the AR via topical application in such small amounts. No, it's not a viable theory.

Here is a study of an actual diterpene-comound that blocks the AR:
Spongian diterpenoids inhibit androgen receptor activity

they went a great lenght to identify such compounds. If terpenoids in Lavender, TT or other widely available and easily sourceable EOs would have a similar spectrum of action I think it would be published.

@Dante
I don't "claim" that 3ß-diol is a srong androgen, not in that sense of the word that is - and it is only a thesis, not a claim. It's an androgen-metabolite with high affinity for ERß and there are many purported benefits for the male health and psyche exhibited by this compound - at least the medical liteature is indicative of it.

TubZy

I think I do - and no, I surely won't "google" some anecdotal brabble about an experimental agent for hairloss treatment.

Your right, I should just stick to using product testimonials as my sources instead lmao.

It's a research chemical that never made it to market. What are you expecting an entire plethora of studies on it? A few anecdotal studies, yeah could be in inaccurate, but hundreds? That shouldn't be discredited.

Evaluation of RU58841 as an anti-androgen in prostate PC3 cells and a topical anti-alopecia agent in the bald scalp of stumptailed macaques. - PubMed - NCBI

From this result, topical application of RU58841, which is considered to be a potential therapy for skin diseases, may induce systemic side effects. However, RU58841, on topical application, revealed a potent increase in density, thickening, and length of hair in the macaque model of androgenetic alopecia, whereas no systemic effects were detected.

Together our results suggest that RU58841 may have potent antagonism to the wt AR and could be considered as a topically applied active anti-androgen for the treatment of androgen-dependent skin disorders, such as acne, androgenetic alopecia, and hirsutism.

Wow,that sounds a lot like the tea tree oil study.

Where did I mention anything about hormone changes from the study? Please point that out because I don't see it from the above post where I mentioned the study. Anti androgenic effect doesn't just refer to "hormone" changes only.

You clearly don't understand the difference between receptor and circulating hormone. I'm referring to the receptor in the study.

Do me a favor and google RU58841. Then google RU58841 side effects and have fun reading all the reports.

It blocks the androgen receptor and will stop your hair loss in its tracks. It does NOT effect circulating hormone levels like T, DHT and estrogen, but it produces bad anti androgenic side effects because T and DHT can't bind to the receptor. So what does that do? It makes the receptor more available to estrogen. Once estrogen binds to it, it is going to exhibit estrogenic effects obviously.

That is why CB-03-01 is in development because it is supposed to be like RU except without the anti androgenic effects as it quickly converts to cortisol once it interacts with the enzymes in the skin.

I know this from first hand experience because I used RU for a year and got anti androgenic side effects along with many many others of users. I also had my testosterone and hormones checked while on it and guess what my test was 800 and estrogen was perfectly normal range.

So tea tree oil looks like it could act in a similar way based on the study.

I think Essential Oils would have effects based on how they are applied. If you spray them, or apply them by inhalation then they may have less of a hormonal effect, depending on whether it is an 'extract' or not. If it is just one component from the herb you wouldn't likely see issues unless its the anti-androgenic component. If its the actual plant oil though, then the effects would likely depend on how much of it absorbs through the body and how many human receptors it interacts with, and which receptors.

Inhaling or ''rolling'' them near the nose would affinitize them for brain receptors, so who knows what the long-term effects would be.

Long-term its probably not a good idea to use, but then, could you imagine some gal' walking into a man's room and it smells like Roses and flower petals? lmao! :rolleyes:
Not my cup of tea.

TubZy

I think Essential Oils would have effects based on how they are applied. If you spray them, or apply them by inhalation then they may have less of a hormonal effect, depending on whether it is an 'extract' or not. If it is just one component from the herb you wouldn't likely see issues unless its the anti-androgenic component. If its the actual plant oil though, then the effects would likely depend on how much of it absorbs through the body and how many human receptors it interacts with, and which receptors.

Inhaling or ''rolling'' them near the nose would affinitize them for brain receptors, so who knows what the long-term effects would be.

Long-term its probably not a good idea to use, but then, could you imagine some gal' walking into a man's room and it smells like Roses and flower petals? lmao! :rolleyes:
Not my cup of tea.

That's true, I can see what you are saying...

I was never a fan of EO's especially for hair. The only oil that legit has a big effect on hair is castor oil due to the stimulation of PGE2. Topically the stuff is like glue and takes a long time to absorb. Orally at a few ml's per day works better, but then you get hair growth all over the body and stomach irritation as it can clear bowels.

I'll occasionally use coconut oil topically once or twice a week just for general scalp health though.

haidut

Forum Supporter
So, age related hairy-ness like hair on ears, shoulders and all the unwanted places should not be blamed on DHT ?

Body hairiness in places other than legs (for men) is usually not due to DHT but to high estrogen/cortisol and sometimes DHEA. High serum levels of steroids are indicative of gonadal activity. Lower levels of steroids are usually indicative of gonadal underactivity and adrenal overactivity. It is adrenal overactivity (especially cortisol and estrogen) that seems to produce hairiness of ears, neck, chest, nose, etc. Look up Cushing symptoms - hairiness is a very prominent symptoms and these people do not have high DHT levels but quite the opposite.

LeeLemonoil

Wow,that sounds a lot like the tea tree oil study

Still, not at all, unless you have a strong confirmaion bias.

Again:
The 3 case reports of gyno and Lavender and TT EO's have been refuted and debunked comprehensively, and are of extremely poor quality to begin with

Somehow you believe that Tea Tree oil and Lavender oil have the same "estrogenic" or anti-androgenic effects as a synthetic, highly active designer drug which was created for a distinct treatment purpose. This experimental compounds exhibits strong side-effects, as you state, reported by hundreds of users. It's either by comletely blocking the nuclear AR or by gene regulating effects by binding on nuclear ER's.
Tea Tree and Lavender essential oils are used for centuries by males. There is no indication in the literature of any similar occurences or reported side effects. And if they would be able to block nuclear receptors, that would be known for decades, I can assure you that.

You then argue with hirtuism, which a blend of Lavender and TT EO's seem to mitigate in one study. Purportedly an excess androgen situation which you seem to implicate is treated by blocking the AR.
Lavender and TT EO do not bind to the AR, there is not one single indication for such an action. Some constituents of some EO's do indeed bind to estrogen receptors,but do not act as estrogen mimetics - indicating they might in fact prevent excessive ER activation.
This review, by the Kings's College no less, proves that:
Assessment of estrogenic activity in some common essential oil constituents

Also, relate EO's to castor oil in one of your statements. Are you aware that essential oils are not fatty oils as vegtable oils?

TubZy

Still, not at all, unless you have a strong confirmaion bias.

Again:
The 3 case reports of gyno and Lavender and TT EO's have been refuted and debunked comprehensively, and are of extremely poor quality to begin with

Somehow you believe that Tea Tree oil and Lavender oil have the same "estrogenic" or anti-androgenic effects as a synthetic, highly active designer drug which was created for a distinct treatment purpose. This experimental compounds exhibits strong side-effects, as you state, reported by hundreds of users. It's either by comletely blocking the nuclear AR or by gene regulating effects by binding on nuclear ER's.
Tea Tree and Lavender essential oils are used for centuries by males. There is no indication in the literature of any similar occurences or reported side effects. And if they would be able to block nuclear receptors, that would be known for decades, I can assure you that.

You then argue with hirtuism, which a blend of Lavender and TT EO's seem to mitigate in one study. Purportedly an excess androgen situation which you seem to implicate is treated by blocking the AR.
Lavender and TT EO do not bind to the AR, there is not one single indication for such an action. Some constituents of some EO's do indeed bind to estrogen receptors,but do not act as estrogen mimetics - indicating they might in fact prevent excessive ER activation.
This review, by the Kings's College no less, proves that:
Assessment of estrogenic activity in some common essential oil constituents

Also, relate EO's to castor oil in one of your statements. Are you aware that essential oils are not fatty oils as vegtable oils?

Let me ask you this. What are you so interested in EO's for? Hair growth? I hate to break it to you, but this has been discussed over a decade on all the hair loss forums (BTT, HLT, HLH etc.) and these studies pop up over and over and don't even know how they work. People (and myself) trial them over and over and get no real success.

That is why I mentioned castor oil, not only b/c it actually has some legit science behind- stimulates pge2 receptor just like bimatoprost which is in trials now for hair growth and is already proven to regrow eye lashes. Your a science and evidence type guy, right? Then you should understand what I'm saying in this situation.

Yes, I know castor oil is not an EO that is why I said the only "oil" not "essential oil" but I should have clarified.

IMO, I'm not ready to rule out lavender and TT being not anti androgenic yet. Other EO's are highly estrogenic like peppermint oil so that really makes me suspcious.

Also referring to RU vs EO, that is like saying saw palmetto can't cause side effects like finasteride since it's weak but it can and does. Just b/c it's "natural" and has been used for many many years doesn't make it healthy all the time. People have been eating starch and grains for many years, does that automatically make it healthy?

I'll copy and paste this as I'm too busy at the moment to get into each individual study which are at the bottom of the page.

Peppermint - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

7.1. Testosterone
In southwestern Turkey, ingestion of peppermint or spearmint tea is said to cause a reduction in libido.[71]

The addition of peppermint to rat drinking water at 20g/L (equal to making 250mL of tea from 5g of tea leaves) was able to reduce circulating testosterone by 23% although a more significant reduction was noted with spearmint (51%).[72]

In women with hirsutism (21 overall, 12 diagnosed with PCOS), ingestion of spearmint tea at 5g tea leaves twice daily is associated with a significant reduction in free testosterone (29%) without altering total testosterone levels[71] which has been confirmed in other trials.[73] It is unsure if this applies to peppermint, as while peppermint is up to 50% menthol by weight spearmint is 29-74% carvone.[74]

In rats, peppermint and spearmint both have antiandrogenic effects. Spearmint, but not peppermint, has been confirmed in human females to possess antiandrogenic effects

7.2. Estrogen
Supplementation of spearmint tea to women with hirsutism is able to increase circulating levels of estradiol (36%) with two 250mL cups of tea made from 5g tea leaves daily.[71]

Peppermint has not been tested in regards to estrogen, but the related herb of spearmint has shown pro-estrogenic effects

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

No interest because of hairloss, which I luckily don't seem to "have" in any accelerated form.

EO's have a wide variety of interesting applications, just a general interest.

The Examine excerpts you posted are about watery extracts (tea) of spearmint obviously. That's is not the same as an EO. Spearmint and peppermint contain phenols, which are often times potent phytoestrogens - the effects observed are no surprise. Teas are much higher in phenols and conain only scule traces of the EOs.
How poor then from Examne to allude to the main terpene-alcohol, menthol and carvone, both which are clearly not phenols.
Obviously you too overlook those important and striking facts and lack the knowledge to put your random findings into context.

We will not agree here and I don't care. I will not be fooled into avoiding such powerful freely availabe substances because of some misinterpreted, badly designed
studies, dubious sources like Examine that obviously don't get the basic science right or illogical connections drawn between similar effects of extremely different compounds and MoAs.

Murtaza

Body hairiness in places other than legs (for men) is usually not due to DHT but to high estrogen/cortisol and sometimes DHEA. High serum levels of steroids are indicative of gonadal activity. Lower levels of steroids are usually indicative of gonadal underactivity and adrenal overactivity. It is adrenal overactivity (especially cortisol and estrogen) that seems to produce hairiness of ears, neck, chest, nose, etc. Look up Cushing symptoms - hairiness is a very prominent symptoms and these people do not have high DHT levels but quite the opposite.

i know this is a 2 year old thread but this comment of yours got my interest. what do you think is causing the hyper adrenal activity? and what can be done to stop it?

Lyall

i know this is a 2 year old thread but this comment of yours got my interest. what do you think is causing the hyper adrenal activity? and what can be done to stop it?

I think several things can drive increased adrenal activity
  • Increased serotonin
  • Low blood glucose or use of glucose
  • Increased PUFA
  • Excess adiposity
  • Stressful life events
  • Gonadal disfunction
  • Low protein diet
  • Excess endotoxin

ddjd

Years ago I was heavily experimenting with almost all methods being discussed on those hairloss forums. From all the stuff tested drinking lots of peppermint tea had the most impressive effect giving me lots of new sprouting hairs in my temples after a few weeks. I had to give up however because peppermint also obliterated my libido. Its very potent at that and I think could easily be used as chemical castration agent in men. In some cultures peppermint is being used by women for controlling hirsutism.
reducing libido sounds like an anti estrogen effect

ddjd

Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs. - PubMed - NCBI Free PMC Article

Abstract
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is a plant native to Europe and has been widely used as a carminative and gastric stimulant worldwide. This plant also has been used in cosmetic formulations as a fragrance component and skin conditioning agent. This study investigated the effect of peppermint oil onhair growth in C57BL/6 mice. The animals were randomized into 4 groups based on different topical applications: saline (SA), jojoba oil (JO), 3% minoxidil (MXD), and 3% peppermint oil (PEO). The hair growth effects of the 4-week topical applications were evaluated in terms of hair growth, histological analysis, enzymatic activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), known bio-markers for the enhanced hair growth. Of the 4 experimental groups, PEO group showed the most prominent hair growth effects; a significant increase in dermal thickness, follicle number, and follicle depth. ALP activity and IGF-1 expression also significantly increased in PEO group. Body weight gain and food efficiency were not significantly different between groups. These results suggest that PEO induces a rapid anagen stage and could be used for a practical agent for hair growth without change of body weight gain and food efficiency.
Why is it supposedly estrogenic according to other sources

S.Seneff

Did someone try to cancel the systemic oestrogenic or anti-testosterone effects with haidut's products while always having a positive effect on the scalp ?

Wilfrid

The original study made by Henley and al is close to useless and merely established a correlation not a causation.
Essential oils have strong solvent properties.
The study made by Henley and al was made in vitro using polystyrene plates as a media.
It has already been largely demonstrated that many types of polystyrene dishes used in labware release estrogenic impurities.
This should be taken into account when one wants to carry out any serious research involving estrogen responsive cells and/or studying its cellular effects.

Last edited:

czecha

reducing libido sounds like an anti estrogen effect
More hair, less body hair, less libido is exactly what happens when you get into estrogen dominance through finasteride (experienced it myself and quit due to it).
I know it was high E because my nipples were getting sensitive and gyno was coming (something I am not prone to at all naturally)

Inaut

The original study made by Henley and al are close to useless and merely established a correlation not a causation.
Essential oils have strong solvent properties.
The study made by Henley and al was made in vitro using polystyrene plates as a media.
It has already been largely demonstrated that many types of polystyrene dishes used in labware release estrogenic impurities.
This should be taken into account when one wants to carry out any serious research involving estrogen responsive cells and/or studying its cellular effects.

Bingo

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals