Pepcid (Famotidine)

iLoveSugar

Curious if the pros outweigh the cons here. I'm dealing with chronic silent reflux. While I do get frequent heartburn, it's not that bad right now. But with the shortness of breath, inflammation, I'm being told I need to take pepcid. I get nauseated alot also.

Pepcid seems to help many with reflux, it also lowers serotonin, but it's also bad to lower stomach acid.

Thoughts?

thomas00

it might raise prolactin

Antihistamines Raise Prolactin?

It seems like the least bad of the antacids to use until you resolve the underlying cause. Someone on the CamphoSol thread was saying 200mcg was enough to relieve his reflux.

I think there is a fair bit of evidence implicating the things Ray has talked about behind GERD

It's usually associated with disturbed muscle action of the whole stomach and intestine and gall bladder. High estrogen, serotonin, prostaglandins, low thyroid, inflammation, and bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine are often involved. Stimulating the intestine with a daily raw carrot often helps.
Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I want to take it, I just dont want to make a problem worse if lowering stomach acid truly is a problem and what this particular drug does.

Mito

“In lower doses of 10mg or even 20mg daily famotidine was shown to not affect stomach acid much and its anti-GERD effects are likely due to the protective effects it has on the gastric and esophageal linings. To start blocking acid production usually at least 40mg daily are needed and for some people up to 80mg. As far as serotonin antagonists - there are quite a few and if you simply google for "serotonin antagonists" you will find a lot of links listing them.”
Famotidine Is A Powerful Anti-serotonin Drug, Can Even Treat Serotonin Syndrome

OP
I

iLoveSugar

So is 10-20 mg likely to help reflux while not blocking acid production? Am I reading that right?

bivic

Does anyone know why fatomidine would raise my morning temperature? I have to take letrozole after my breast cancer treatment.

BearWithMe

Does anyone know why fatomidine would raise my morning temperature? I have to take letrozole after my breast cancer treatment.
By improving your metabolism maybe? Is that a bad thing? I think improved metabolism is very desirable especially when you are dealing with cancer.

bivic

By improving your metabolism maybe? Is that a bad thing? I think improved metabolism is very desirable especially when you are dealing with cancer.
Yes l think it's a good thing to increase my metabolism. I'm just afraid of taking something that could bring the cancer back. I got triple negative breast cancer despite taking progesterone and thyroid for years. I would love to eat eggs again but l don't know if it's a good idea either. I eat low fat.

BearWithMe

Yes l think it's a good thing to increase my metabolism. I'm just afraid of taking something that could bring the cancer back. I got triple negative breast cancer despite taking progesterone and thyroid for years. I would love to eat eggs again but l don't know if it's a good idea either. I eat low fat.
I really understand your concerns. If I would experience what you did, I would be super-scared that I might do something that could bring it back, too.

Stimulating your metabolism is very different thing than stimulating cancer growth. They might go hand in hand sometimes, but only if the metabolism is damaged in the first place / the body is unable to handle the metabolic increase.

Healing the metabolism is the key to healing the cancer. Cancer is a metabolic disease.

You will never starve the cancer by trying to starve yourself. Don't do that.

Famotidine powerfully lowers inflammation and gut serotonin. This is definitely very desirable when dealing with cancer.

Famotidine improves your ability to store glycogen. That is most likely the reason you are warm in the mornings - you simply won't run out of the glycogen during the night.

Running out of glycogen triggers stress hormone release. Definitely not good for cancer.

bivic

Thank you for taking the time to answer. It helps me sleep so l would definitely like to keep taking it. I take only half a pill at night.

BearWithMe

Thank you for taking the time to answer. It helps me sleep so l would definitely like to keep taking it. I take only half a pill at night.
I see no reason why you should not, famotidine is not linked to increased risk of any cancer, quite the oposite, there is a study saying it lowers the risk of certain cancers.

Why would eggs (or healthy dietary fats in general) increase risk of cancer? If you are worried about the PUFA content in eggs, you can eat other healthy fats, like butter, cream or beef meat.

bivic

I see no reason why you should not, famotidine is not linked to increased risk of any cancer, quite the oposite, there is a study saying it lowers the risk of certain cancers.

Why would eggs (or healthy dietary fats in general) increase risk of cancer? If you are worried about the PUFA content in eggs, you can eat other healthy fats, like butter, cream or beef meat.
Triple-Negative Breast Cancers Depend On Fat As Fuel.

BearWithMe

Triple-Negative Breast Cancers Depend On Fat As Fuel.
You can't starve the cancer by starving yourself. The cancer just take the fuel elsewhere in the body (the breasts are made mostly of fat, after all).

I'm not saying you should eat too much fat, but by avoiding all fats, you are just weakening your body (so it have less resources to fight off the cancer), you are deranging your hormones (which are made mostly from cholesterol), you are creating deficiencies of fat soluble vitamins and you are asking for liver, galblbadder and pancreas disease in the future.

While the cancer don't care, it just takes the fat it needs from your breast tissue.

bivic

You can't starve the cancer by starving yourself. The cancer just take the fuel elsewhere in the body (the breasts are made mostly of fat, after all).

I'm not saying you should eat too much fat, but by avoiding all fats, you are just weakening your body (so it have less resources to fight off the cancer), you are deranging your hormones (which are made mostly from cholesterol), you are creating deficiencies of fat soluble vitamins and you are asking for liver, galblbadder and pancreas disease in the future.

While the cancer don't care, it just takes the fat it needs from your breast tissue.
Yes you are right. I take vitamin d, a k and e. I'm sure letrozole is probably attacking my gallbladder and liver anyway.

BearWithMe

Yes you are right. I take vitamin d, a k and e. I'm sure letrozole is probably attacking my gallbladder and liver anyway.
It's great that you make sure you have enough fat soluble vitamins! These will really help your body recover after the illness.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals