People with low BMI aren't more active, they are just less hungry and 'run hotter'

BodhiBlues

I thought that this article lines up well with what people say here, how important metabolic rate and thyroid activity is compared to exercise.

To date most research on obesity has focused on studying those with a high body mass index (BMI), but a research group in China is taking a different approach. In a study published July 14 in the journal Cell Metabolism, the scientists looked at individuals with a very low BMI. Their findings reveal that these individuals are actually considerably less active than people with a BMI in the normal range, contrary to speculation that they have a metabolism that makes them naturally more active. Additionally, they eat less food than those with a normal BMI.

"We expected to find that these people are really active and to have high activity metabolic rates matched by high food intakes," says corresponding author John Speakman, a professor at the Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology in China and the University of Aberdeen in the UK. "It turns out that something rather different is going on. They had lower food intakes and lower activity, as well as surprisingly higher-than-expected resting metabolic rates linked to elevated levels of their thyroid hormones."

The investigators recruited 173 people with a normal BMI (range 21.5 to 25) and 150 who they classified as "healthy underweight" (with a BMI below 18.5). They used established questionnaires to screen out people with eating disorders as well as those who said they intentionally restrained their eating and those who were infected with HIV. They also excluded individuals who had lost weight in the past six months potentially related to illness or were on any kind of medication. They did not rule out those who said they "exercised in a driven way," but only 4 of 150 said they did.
The participants were monitored for two weeks. Their food intake was measured with an isotope-based technique called the doubly-labeled water method, which assesses energy expenditure based on the difference between the turnover rates of hydrogen and oxygen in body water as a function of carbon dioxide production. Their physical activity was measured using an accelerometry-based motion detector.

The investigators found that compared with a control group that had normal BMIs, the healthy underweight individuals consumed 12% less food. They were also considerably less active, by 23%. At the same time, these individuals had higher resting metabolic rates, including an elevated resting energy expenditure and elevated thyroid activity.

"Although these very lean people had low levels of activity, their markers of heart health, including cholesterol and blood pressure, were very good," says first author Sumei Hu, currently at the Beijing Technology and Business University. "This suggests that low body fat may trump physical activity when it comes to downstream consequences."

The investigators acknowledge some limitations on this research, including the fact that although they measured food intake, they didn't measure what the participants were actually eating or their feelings of satiation or satiety.

The team is now expanding its research, including studies that include these measures. They also plan to look at genetic differences between normal weight and healthy underweight individuals. Preliminary analysis suggests single nucleotide polymorphisms in certain genes that might play a role. When these genetic changes were replicated in mice, the animals had some aspects of the phenotype that was observed in human subjects.

"The next stage is to understand more about the phenotype itself and understand the mechanisms that generate it more clearly," says Speakman.
This research was funded by the National Key R&D Program of China and the National Natural Science Foundation of China.

LadyRae

Sounds like a low-stressed lifestyle. Interesting find, and it rings true for me for sure.

InChristAlone

I think we need to also analyze whether they are more anxious than those with normal weight. When I was very thin I had in general very high stress and yep elevated temperature too.

lvysaur

lol, they're catching up to me after a decade.

I'm sure certain people have been saying this for even longer than Peat

Nicole W.

I think we need to also analyze whether they are more anxious than those with normal weight. When I was very thin I had in general very high stress and yep elevated temperature too.
I have seen this with my daughter also. When she was thin, she was stressed, extremely anxious and irritable. When she gained 30 pounds all those things went away. It made me wonder if she was just burning through calories with stress and upset. We are still not sure what caused her to gain weight but her mood is much better now.

Sascha6990

There's an aspect I don't understand. Shouldn't they consume more calories if their metabolic rate was indeed higher?

TheCalciumCad

There's an aspect I don't understand. Shouldn't they consume more calories if their metabolic rate was indeed higher?
Running 'hot' from adrenals pumping out excess cortisol / adrenaline suppressing appetite and keeping weight off. Not good.

LadyRae

So I've been following this thread and I just wanted to mention that my experience has always been that when I'm in a low stress state, I'm not super hungry and I am definitely thinner than when I'm stressed out or exercising a lot.

I am a 44 year old female with four children, I am 5'10 and I weigh 128 lb. Several pounds of that are silicone LOL! Anyway, my point in bringing this up is that I do not believe that thin people are inherently stressed out and unhealthy.

I am definitely a warm person and I sleep with my window open even throughout the winter. I eat several smaller meals throughout the day focusing on higher lean protein and I love fruit, I don't drink alcohol, either.

In fact what I believe the study was saying is that thin people have an extremely unstressed life and lifestyle.

InChristAlone

So I've been following this thread and I just wanted to mention that my experience has always been that when I'm in a low stress state, I'm not super hungry and I am definitely thinner than when I'm stressed out or exercising a lot.

I am a 44 year old female with four children, I am 5'10 and I weigh 128 lb. Several pounds of that are silicone LOL! Anyway, my point in bringing this up is that I do not believe that thin people are inherently stressed out and unhealthy.

I am definitely a warm person and I sleep with my window open even throughout the winter. I eat several smaller meals throughout the day focusing on higher lean protein and I love fruit, I don't drink alcohol, either.

In fact what I believe the study was saying is that thin people have an extremely unstressed life and lifestyle.
That is consider underweight for women. Do you have regular periods?

LadyRae

That is consider underweight for women. Do you have regular periods?
Yes, I do. I graduated high school at 120 lbs. So I feel that I fall into the category that they are talking about in the study, healthy people with a low BMI.

Deborah888

I can say that at my thinnest as an adult I was also very stressed, and I was a little hyperthyroid. I gained weight with the meds for that but felt much better mentally. The study found their thyroids were more active, so that's why there was a connection there with stress. But you sound like a healthy person physically and mentally, which I believe is actually unusual nowadays.

InChristAlone

I can say that at my thinnest as an adult I was also very stressed, and I was a little hyperthyroid. I gained weight with the meds for that but felt much better mentally. The study found their thyroids were more active, so that's why there was a connection there with stress. But you sound like a healthy person physically and mentally, which I believe is actually unusual nowadays.
Yeah I'd say it's pretty unusual nowadays but there are always those people who seem to be of the body type that just don't gain weight easily. I thought I was that person for most of my adult life, but I was that way due to eating less calories than most everyone else. But then over time if you actually need those calories due to stress then the metabolism decreases so much that it becomes harder to maintain thinness without greatly undereating. Stress and undereating are a recipe for future weight gain.

Neeters 27

I do know that my husband who is between 135-140 and is age 39, looks shredded and very fit, lots of dark hair and full beard, doesnt exercise anymore but only rollerblades occasionally. He only eats about half of what I do at mealtime, but he snacks on cookies and granola here and there. He doesnt eat a lot at once, he also drinks a whole jug of iced tea, sweetened but not overly so. and has a pepsi after dinner when watching baseball. then he starts snacking during sports. he is very warm, most of the time, but low bodyfat causes him to get chilled easily outdoors. he wears track pants socks and a hoodie inside, as I have the Air conditioning on always at 72, degrees I am menopausal and run too hot. he only gained weight about 10 years ago when he bought a deep fryer and ate fried foods daily! he gained 30 lbs in less than 2 months! he lost it when he got rid of it. Now we use an air fryer :) He had a lot of stress at work and with his ex and his disabled son. Stress cuts his appetite.

Neeters 27

Yes, I do. I graduated high school at 120 lbs. So I feel that I fall into the category that they are talking about in the study, healthy people with a low BMI.
Wow, I weighed 126 when I got sick with gastritis and looked like skeletor! I usually am 160 at 5foot 6 and wear size 8 or 10. I am built strong large skeleton even at 140 I look awful and my hipbones stick out...120 is very thin these days. but if healthy dont worry about it.

LadyRae

Wow, I weighed 126 when I got sick with gastritis and looked like skeletor! I usually am 160 at 5foot 6 and wear size 8 or 10. I am built strong large skeleton even at 140 I look awful and my hipbones stick out...120 is very thin these days. but if healthy dont worry about it.
I'm not skeletal at all. I just backpacked 300 miles with my teen in Washington State....

But my mom and dad are also tall and lean so I'm sure genetics play a big role. Still, is very common for people to gain weight as they age and I don't think this is healthy at all. But our culture has been normalizing it unfortunately.,

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_081150031_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220831_081150031_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • -ifrahj.jpg
    -ifrahj.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 45
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals