People Have No Understanding Of Nutrition

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5487

I don't claim to be an expert but

I just got off the phone with a good friend, he's out of shape, jobless.etc.

He has picked up jogging after his work outs, talking about eating nothing but
"Chicken breast and broccli"
"Might get on ketosis"
"No eating after 8pm, since you don't burn it off while you sleep"..etc.

Trying to explain to people who think they know what they are talking about is a good way to ruin relationships.

No different then my father who will drink gatorade, doesn't know why he wants it, but thinks orange juice will make him fat.
I just had to painfully sit there and listen

A another perfect pharma drug addict in the future.

Aaron

Well, you can definitely get lean and muscular on chicken breast and broccoli if you add a few carbs in there, but you will feel like crap. The main reason fat people can't lose weight is because they are in a constant state of unwellness that impairs their ability to make decisions, largely caused by PUFAs and other inflammatory ingredients. So yeah, if this guy eats that for a while, even though there's a slim chance he does, he'll probably just gain the weight back because he hasn't achieved wellness and doesn't know how to.

The most infuriating thing health coaches, dieticians, trainers, etc say is "Everyone knows what unhealthy food is." Their examples of unhealthy are usually burgers, pizza, candy, etc, and then their examples of healthy are whole grains, lean muscle meats, cruciferous vegetables, low sodium, nuts and seeds, etc. As mediocre as it is, you will probably perform better on the former than the latter until the heart disease catches up to you. In fact, I lived on double Baconators and Frosties for months in college and got diced in the process because weight loss always boils down to net kcal.

Doctors will prescribe the latter diet, observe their patients actually becoming worse, and turn around and blame it on complex biological processes which are out of the patient's control. "People know how to eat healthy and cutting calories is clearly a myth because otherwise everyone would be able to lose weight. Must be some kind of metabolic dysfunction which we don't yet know how to solve." And books like The Diabetes Code are born.

The medical establishment is perfectly systematized to convert anyone who isn't extremely proactive about health into a patient.

Last edited:

benaoao

That’s right on though. Western medicine and pharmacy is a joke.

As a pharmacist I’m very proud to work in medical devices and organ donation. I’m very bitter about our “art”. At least I’m not paying much for insurance, and I’ll always refuse to pay more to sustain the lifestyle of people who DGAF.

And indeed, trying to administer the health red pill to other people is a very reliable way to create tensions because ultimately people realize it’s all their own actions that lead to consequences. And that’s a hard pill to swallow “it’s been all your fault since you’re a grown up - acne, hair loss, heart disease, hypothyroidism, diabetes, cancer. All on you”. Can’t really say that.

That’s right on though. Western medicine and pharmacy is a joke.

As a pharmacist I’m very proud to work in medical devices and organ donation. I’m very bitter about our “art”. At least I’m not paying much for insurance, and I’ll always refuse to pay more to sustain the lifestyle of people who DGAF.

And indeed, trying to administer the health red pill to other people is a very reliable way to create tensions because ultimately people realize it’s all their own actions that lead to consequences. And that’s a hard pill to swallow “it’s been all your fault since you’re a grown up - acne, hair loss, heart disease, hypothyroidism, diabetes, cancer. All on you”. Can’t really say that.
if somebody could have persuasively proven to me years ago the benefits of everything I now know, I would have gladly jumped onto the peat train, and readily accepted the errors of my ways, but then again, this is maybe presumption and maybe adolescent stubbornness would have gotten the better of me. still, i think when it comes to adults it has less to do with inability to admit personal error and more to do with a conditioned state of apathy; some people are always content no matter what and they think of knowledge as inconsequential because the only thing theyve ever known is this perpetual state of low-grade crappiness/mediocrity and so why assume that such a state is at all fixable? to some extent i understand, because it wasnt until i started experimenting with hormones that i myself felt something like the euphoric state that peat has mentioned. after that, i was determined to always feel great. to boot, lots of peat advice sounds shockingly radical on its face:
sugar? not as bad as it seems (even tho peat technically only recommends refined white sugar therapeutically and is talking about sugar from fruit mostly)
sodium? good
saturated fat good?
pufa bad?
and its less what peat recommends than what peat admonishes
whole grains are bad? nuts are bad? seed oils are bad?

but mostly, people dont take much action to improve themselves

DrJ

Gotta be chill though. Chicken and broccoli isn't the worst food in the grand scheme of things. It will be pretty low fat (so fairly low PUFA) and low starch for people with intestinal problems. Everyone's doing the best with what they know and what their energy level is.

Herbie

Ive been through that stage when I was younger 'trying to help people' and now I couldn't give a...

Its not my true nature to behave in such an annoying way but something that was picked up by being surrounded by it and glad I stopped, its stressful to behave like that and loses peace of mind.

Now what happens is people start telling me what i should be eating and I shouldn't drink coke and shouldn't eat candy and they assume its ok for them to just start telling me what i should and shouldn't do when I haven't asked them at all and never bought up anything about what I read and some of interests. I pretend I'm naive and make jokes how you "gotta be healthy in this life" while drinking coca cola.

Its worse when people have no idea what I've been through and how much I read and these people are younger than me and have no idea about much. I think this unsolicited health advice is just some form of authoritarianism, these people are trying to control me and they didn't realise they were walking into a trap. I am leaner than all the people who have done it to me and older.

I ask people to explain why sugar is bad and why I'm lean? and they can't... of course. Ill get some demented one word answer like "diabetes" Well sir I'm not diabetic.

"So your trying to tell me not to consume something that you don't know anything about and you don't know how this substance reacts with the human body?"

Once we realise we are always learning and will contradict ourselves at times and its best to be quiet and respectful towards others.

Last edited:

opethfeldt

Don't waste your energy trying to convince others. Just do your own thing. That's how I live my life and I'm all the happier for it. You did your part and educated them. Not much more you can do.

theLaw

Kevin Smith was on Rogan this week talking about how he went vegan because of advice from his daughter (18) and his doctor, to lower his cholesterol after having a heart attack. Just imagine what resources a man this wealthy/famous has at his disposal, and still chooses veganism.

Wagner83

If people had access to a normal food supply (foods which exist and are edible) and were 't exposed to exterior theoretical ideas they wouldn't need any understanding of nutrition to have a good diet.

benaoao

Gotta be chill though. Chicken and broccoli isn't the worst food in the grand scheme of things. It will be pretty low fat (so fairly low PUFA) and low starch for people with intestinal problems. Everyone's doing the best with what they know and what their energy level is.

You’re right. Everybody is a beginner at some point. Vegans with hypothyroidism can be saved. I mean, my GF who is pro-raw vegan is reconsidering her stance. I don’t really care about others, it’s their own path they choose to ride on.

I don’t believe anyone went straight from SAD to the perfect diet. There’s a lot of trial and error along the road and AFAIK chicken and (steamed) broccolis are a-okay

yerrag

Don't waste your energy trying to convince others. Just do your own thing. That's how I live my life and I'm all the happier for it. You did your part and educated them. Not much more you can do.
That's what we end up doing, after a few attempts we know it doesn't pay. First of all, unsolicited advice isn't welcome. Secondly, your advice is free and considered worthless. Thirdly, if you don't have a degree in medicine, why will they listen to you?

The best way is to outlive them at least cost, and they'll be looking down at you and say 'What a fool to live long like him. He can't prove to us he's right!' A big Ernie at Bert snicker follows.

YourUniverse

We're all on a journey, I'm sure most of us have made poor nutrition choices before ultimately winding up on this board. In fact, I'd venture to guess it's a prerequisite for being here.

Arrade

People hate advice contrary to what the medical community tells them. You’d have to be on steroids and a medical doctor so a naïve person would trust you

Obi-wan

One of the problems is confusion. We are told it is is not good then later it is good. Examples; coffee, saturated fat, vitamins, eggs, milk, etc. I thought fish oils, flaxseed oil, DIM, nuts, beer, wine, salmon, Boron, saw palmetto and others were good. After Peat. Haidut, and Travis I said why did I follow Joe Mercola (fat burner), Weston Price (fish oils) all these years...the fish oil thing really took me for a loop...then I would get on goofy kicks like spirolina, high Arginine, L-Carnitine...Met RX shakes...

Last edited:

benaoao

The irony is, 4 years ago as a 25yo pharmacy student 2 years into my lifting journey, I thought what’s best was:
- 1 fruit per hour on an empty stomach until lunch, being gently laughed at by most of my peers (“a banana again! Good for your proteins?? never met anyone who’d eat so many fruits! So much fructose!”)
- vegan lunch at the cafeteria because of the poor quality animal foods (“but this chicken sauce is great!”)
- carbs carbs carbs; mostly white rice some instant oats and sweet potatoes. Grape juice and proteins during a workout / that seemed to make enough sense
- rather low in fat, coconut dark chocolate and butter to cook the occasional fish, chicken or meat
- very concerned about anti nutrients

I was obviously in perfect health but I was 25, and after 4 years of trashing myself believing in nonsense such as keto, paleo and whatnot ... well I enjoy being back full circle and guess what - besides a couple forehead wrinkles my health is the same now as it was back then.

Kevin Smith was on Rogan this week talking about how he went vegan because of advice from his daughter (18) and his doctor, to lower his cholesterol after having a heart attack. Just imagine what resources a man this wealthy/famous has at his disposal, and still chooses veganism.

It wasn't his doctor. His doctor was skeptical when he told him and then he saw his bloodworm and said it's fine. It was Ray Cronise and Penn Jillette who convinced Kevin to try it. The term "vegan" means nothing in regards to diet. It's a political term. Kevin said he was eating Cronise's prescribed potato diet. He said before his heart attack, he was drinking 2 gallons of milk per day yet you don't count that as evidence that the milk didn't work for him. Odd.

The same errors some people keep here by being convinced PUFA is devil. I see the same perpetuating mindset like others with broccoli/chicken diets, vegans, paleos.. each one with his own ideology taken a bit to the extreme. What is the difference between those and you. Ah yes, you're following the right one.

Lots of people here are worried for a handful of nuts here and there, fruits containing seeds like kiwis or pomegranates, sardines or salmon because their pufa content, looking for coconut oil varieties fully hydrogenated to remove pufa traces in CO (lol) because Ray does it so, .. and countless maniac beliefs. 90% of health enthusiasts are endorsed to some "school of thought"

Arrade

The same errors some people keep here by being convinced PUFA is devil. I see the same perpetuating mindset like others with broccoli/chicken diets, vegans, paleos.. each one with his own ideology taken a bit to the extreme. What is the difference between those and you. Ah yes, you're following the right one.

Lots of people here are worried for a handful of nuts here and there, fruits containing seeds like kiwis or pomegranates, sardines or salmon because their pufa content, looking for coconut oil varieties fully hydrogenated to remove pufa traces in CO (lol) because Ray does it so, .. and countless maniac beliefs. 90% of health enthusiasts are endorsed to some "school of thought"
Amen Brother

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals