PEMF/ICES?

sugar daddy

Just seen this on another thread and was wondering if anyone had any experiences or deeper knowledge about these technologies?

Pretty much all of my family are having different issues relating to inflammation and I considering the ICES product as it appears to make claims to be an alternative to steroids.

Is it just marketing and quackery or does it work?

Would this technology fit with RPs ideas, I don't want something that reduces inflammation but causes other problems.

OP
S

sugar daddy

yeah I mainly would like to know if it actually reduces inflammation in a Peat friendly way.

It's probably a bit beyond me to work this out so I'm not really sure about it. :?

Brian

I learned about ICES from reading Joe Cohen's blog, selfhacked.com. In my opinion he's one of the most honest, seasoned, and detailed health experimenters and researchers out there.

Joe did a long interview with Dr. Robert Dennis that is on youtube.
http://selfhacked.com/2015/03/13/ices-t ... _than_PEMF

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2FrYxv4fI4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugG8dIqCpDI

Here's a video of Dr. Dennis explaining how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnGpibdAoic

He really seems like a top-notch scientist and businessman that just wants to bring quality cutting-edge technology to the people for as affordable as possible. He is definitely in the very top of experts that understand PEMF and related technology.

For someone trying to get over a chronic health problem, this really does seem to be a helpful tool for helping to regenerate the tissue/s that are involved. And it should work great in combination with light therapy and nutrient dense Peat inspired nutrition.

I haven't got around to buying it yet, but I've been very fascinated by it for potentially helping some friends and family members.

OP
S

sugar daddy

The scientist behind the product does come across as genuine and it does seem to be back up by science but when I looked at that self hacked guys website he advises to raise serotonin and eat hemp oil so I'm not convinced he's such a great judge!

Doesn't mean that he's not right about this though and I'm keen to try anything that works (effective without too many negatives)

Brian

sugar daddy said:
The scientist behind the product does come across as genuine and it does seem to be back up by science but when I looked at that self hacked guys website he advises to raise serotonin and eat hemp oil so I'm not convinced he's such a great judge!

Doesn't mean that he's not right about this though and I'm keen to try anything that works (effective without too many negatives)

Joe has come to some very similar conclusions as Peat independently of him, but his research and experimentation has led him to focus more on inflammation especially in the hypothalamus as a cause for systemic dysfunction such as low T3. He's big into redlight, bright light, LLLT, and ICES as major tools for healing and health. He also emphasizes the use of pregnenolone, fat solubles, and balanced amino acid ratios, which are all very Peaty concepts, that he came to through his own research.

I really like his article on what causes low T3.

http://selfhacked.com/2014/11/28/low-th ... -syndrome/

It expands on some areas that Peat is less detailed on, or at least is commonly discussed from Peat's writing.

I don't take Joe's exact diet advice too seriously. I prefer Peat's. He's not a big advocate for PUFA, but he personally has found he doesn't do well on a high saturated fat diet, so his own diet is low in fat in general (A lot of his calories come from honey). He's mostly dealing with people who have extreme sensitivity to food, so his experimentation is based off that and doesn't usually include dairy. But I'm very impressed with his understanding and research on how inflammation effects the function of the brain, organs, and everything else.

He doesn't really talk about serotonin much and his theories of health don't really revolve around it too much. He's more centered on inflammation and his recommendations for lowering it have a lot of similarities to Peat's recommendations. So I appreciate his take on the science of health from that angle.

OP
S

sugar daddy

The more I read of his blog the less I'm inclined to take him seriously.
He seems to just try anything see how it makes him feel then go looking for studies to back up his perceptions.
He does get some of it right but it's all a bit random.

Brian

sugar daddy said:
The more I read of his blog the less I'm inclined to take him seriously.
He seems to just try anything see how it makes him feel then go looking for studies to back up his perceptions.
He does get some of it right but it's all a bit random.

That's exactly what Peat has done. Decades of detailed self-experimentation and comparing his experience to good studies. It's the only way to get a more thorough picture of how things actually work in practice.

Joe's approach is to take very careful self-experiments of anything that interests him so that he can know for himself just how effective they are. A lot of his advice and articles are geared towards people with extreme dysfunction and can't tolerate much normal food, but in general I think his articles are useful for gaining a different perspective about the mechanisms of inflammation and some things to consider for reducing it, which are very similar to Peat's in principle.

Joe's theory of health is more hypothalamus centric, while Peat's is very Thyroid-centric. I think Joe is definitely wrong about some things and I also think Peat is too.

Strongbad

There are apparently some PEMF studies in ncbi sites. I don't know if they are supportive/neutral/against PEFM, but at least they're pretty reliable.

I'll check them (and Ben's videos) out soon.

OP
S

sugar daddy

Whilst I don't think Peat is infallible I think he's far more considered and has researched these things for a lot longer with a deeper understanding of the science.

Joseph M. Cohen
MARCH 15, 2015 AT 11:32 AM
Ray peat has some gems mixed with a lot of ***t.

Should read
Joe Cohen has some gems mixed with a lot of ***t.

The problem with self experimentation and going on feelings/perception sometimes you get it very wrong, something's can feel right and healthy but be detrimental long term.

like you I certainly won't be following his dietary advise, but is there anything in this ICES?

Brian

sugar daddy said:
The problem with self experimentation and going on feelings/perception sometimes you get it very wrong, something's can feel right and healthy but be detrimental long term.

like you I certainly won't be following his dietary advise, but is there anything in this ICES?

He doesn't just use feelings and perception, he is always measuring things quantitatively whenever possible at home and through labs frequently. Probably more than Peat ever had access to in his most active research years.

But yes, from everything I've looked into ICES does seem to be a very valid technology to assist healing and health. It seems that it requires extended daily use to make a lasting impact, so it is probably a best investment for someone who has chronic problem that isn't showing satisfactory improvement from simpler means like red light and a nutrient dense diet, such as deeper tissues or bone that can't be reached.

Mary Pruter

I'm really confused here. Seems to be controversy on whether the pemf mat is good or bad. I took my 91 year-old mother to see my chiropractor today and he covered her with a large blanket similar to oversized sunvisors connected together. His mats cost $2,000. One was a ring the other like a blanket. My mother has dementia and is now just getting over the shingles! Blisters are all healed up, just still red and lots of skin sensitivity.

So, is this a good thing to use on her or bad?

He really seems like a top-notch scientist and businessman that just wants to bring quality cutting-edge technology to the people for as affordable as possible. He is definitely in the very top of experts that understand PEMF and related technology.

You seem really on board with this

Mary Pruter

He only covered her with it for 10 minutes. Look like it might should have been longer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals