Pelvic Organ Prolapse And Solutions?

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Hello!

I have minor prolapse of my pelvic organs largely due to a chronic lifelong cough (mostly under control now after finding the buteyko method of breathing) and probably high cortisol levels.

A friend had a consultation with Dr Peat and he suggested applying Progest-e mixed with DHEA- applied vaginally 2x per day for her prolapse. I wrote to him to confirm that it could be helpful in my case (I'm a younger woman, I thought the mixture may have been geared more toward post-menopausal women). And he suggested that it may indeed be helpful! "DHEA strengthens elastic tissues & with progesterone it opposes the effects of estrogen." -RP

So, I mix 100mg of DHEA in one small bottle of progest-e (34mL) really well and then apply olive oil first, followed by an approximately 1 inch long line of the DHEA/progest-e mixture vaginally. Morning and evening.

Too early to see if it's doing much, but my friend had really miraculous results! Her organs went back to their places!

I also practice "Whole Woman Posture" (google it). Seems like that is helping as well.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you for sharing this important information @Hollybea!
So, I mix 100mg of DHEA in one small bottle of progest-e (34mL) really well and then apply olive oil first, followed by an approximately 1 inch long line of the DHEA/progest-e mixture vaginally. Morning and evening.
I was wondering if you have to heat this mixture to get the dhea to dissolve?

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
No I didn't heat it, but it took a few days of me rolling it around from time to time and stirring it with a bobby pin. I see no trace of the DHEA now!

poilochio

Hey Hollybea

I was wondering my gf has always had a "pregnant look " or a kinda bloat on the lower part of herr belly.She has often been asked if she is pregnant...which hurts her.

So do you believe she could also have prolapse...or what kinda symptoms did you have?

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Has she been checked for an ovarian cyst or fibroids? I think the bloating appearance is more often related to those.

Pelvic organ prolapse has a slew of symptoms that vary based on: 1.severity and 2.organs involved. In some cases it feels like something is bulging out of the vagina (when the bladder is collapsing). Also frequent urination and difficulty defecating are common. Have not heard pregnancy appearance as a symptom!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
No I didn't heat it, but it took a couple days of me rolling it around from time to time and stirring it with a bobby pin. I see no trace of the DHEA now!
You are so patient! I wonder if combining the Progest-e and dhea at very low heat using a double boiler would help it dissolve more quickly? I might try it and see how long it takes for the dhea to dissolve.
I'm really glad you posted this @Hollybea. There doesn't seem to be much real help out there for women dealing with prolapse and estrogen, surgery or a pessary are usually the only options that are offered by doctors. Some women are lucky enough to learn about non-invasive strategies like posture and physical therapy to help but I think something like this could potentially be a game changer for women both young and old dealing with prolapse.

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
YES! @Blossom- you are so right! There is so little info available! Even gynecologists often don't notice prolapse during exams because when you lay down, gravity can make them largely disappear.

When I figured out what was going on with my body I #1 freaked out and #2 scoured the internet for information. I was so lucky to stumble upon wholewoman.com and learn from a friend about ray peats mixture miracle. It can be a very lonely road figuring out prolapse. I was so surprised how little info was in the ray peat forum! (I always search here for all my medical needs :))

Blossom

Forum Supporter
YES! @Blossom- you are so right! There is so little info available! Even gynecologists often don't notice prolapse during exams because when you lay down, gravity can make them largely disappear.

When I figured out what was going on with my body I #1 freaked out and #2 scoured the internet for information. I was so lucky to stumble upon wholewoman.com and learn from a friend about ray peats mixture miracle. It can be a very lonely road figuring out prolapse. I was so surprised how little info was in the ray peat forum! (I always search here for all my medical needs :))
Now thanks to you we have an official thread on the subject!;)
I think there are lots of women suffering in silence unfortunately. Sadly pelvic organ prolapse is just not something people talk about or often even know exists until it happens to them or someone they know. It's time for women to put aside the fear and embarrassment and get the word out so more people can learn what to do to help prevent POP and be empowered to help themselves and each other when it does occur. Thank you again Hollybea!:joyful:

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Thank you Blosson When I was studying nursing the word Procidentia stuck in my mind and now after having five children I am living it! ( well almost!)

Have you found any practices that help? Or noticed any things in diet/lifestyle that aggravate the POP? I find that stress and poor posture make everything worse!

Remember when you were a kid, standing on the pedals of your bike, going up a hill (the bikes that didn't have gears). We called that "pumping" the bike.

That is a fantastic exercise to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.

Remember when you were a kid, standing on the pedals of your bike, going up a hill (the bikes that didn't have gears). We called that "pumping" the bike.

That is a fantastic exercise to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
Thanks I'll try it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lianda

I had a pelvic floor prolapse that I first realized when my cervix was hanging out of me after attempting to move my bowels. I had been on yet another diet of only raw vegetables and so constipated that nothing was moving! (pre- Peat and other discoveries about the dangers of dieting- and especially raw vegetables for hypo people). I was constipated for much of my life due to untreated Hashimoto's with hypo symptoms (but not blood results showing hypo) so doctors wouldn't treat me.

I tried every alternative treatment- pessary, exercise, massage "whole woman"..... I was terrified to have the surgery. After months with no improvement, I came to understand that once gravity has its effect, there's nothing that's going to reverse those stretched out tendons that supports the organs. Luckily, I had a wonderful surgeon and very successful surgery that propped up my bladder (stopped leakage when coughing, sneezing, bouncing and laughing hard) and removed my uterus, but left ovaries and the rest in tact. I have come to realize that I am thankful that I live in a time when a good surgeon can fix what gravity (and perhaps other conditions) has destroyed. I guess I learned that alternative medicine doesn't work for everything.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best result.

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I'm glad you had a good experience with surgery! That's wonderful to hear.

I will likely go without surgery because my case it still fairly minor and because I need to keep my uterus for a couple babies (I'm 28 and haven't had kiddos yet). Also, I'm still excited to try this Ray Peat DHEA & Progest-e thing out. I've heard of really amazing results from it.

I've also heard many mixed results of surgery. But again, it's great to hear someone have a positive experience.

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
By the way, if you are not menopausal, you should only use this progest-e/dhea mixture during the luteal phase of your cycle! (Day after ovulation to the day before your period. Approximately day 15 until day 28. But it helps if you actually keep track of your ovulation so you are sure of when to start using it.) I notice my POP is most aggravated right when estrogen tends to peak in the cycle. Many people believe it's progesterone's fault (because the two tend to peak around the same time which is Day 13 & Day 21).

Here are a couple sentences Ray Peat wrote in response to my letter about this topic:

"DHEA strengthens elastic tissues and with progesterone it opposes the effects of estrogen."

"High cortisol weakens tissues, these oppose that effect of cortisol"

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
@Hollybea @Blossom any update on your progress? My girlfriend has a prolapse and is looking for ideas besides surgery.

Mine seems to go away cycle days 7-14 and progressively gets worse until my period is over.

I can't tell if the mixture it's making a difference! But I'm going to keep taking it just in case!