Pee Smells Like Ammonia

OP
Cloudhands

Cloudhands

Potassium bicarbonate ftw. I had a lucid dream 2 nights ago where i was talking to a tv and it told me to take potassium lmao

mostlylurking

Just curious, what do you eat? I balance my whey with enough collagen and dont eat purely muscle meat (ground beef). I dont believe the seritonin in bananas and pineapple are really an issue. Pineapples have actually be found to be extremely pro-thyroid! You could be right, but none of this ammonia smell happened until i increased my protein intake, and until then i was still eating romaine, pineapple and banana.
I've got a pretty strong sensitivity to serotonin, evidently. Probably because my doctor had me on a horse dose of 5-HTP for 10 years and I believe her and I took it like a good little mindless patient. Now I'm older and wiser. I have experienced a lot of inflammation issues that nearly completely incapacitated me 6 years ago. I found Ray Peat, broke it off with the doctor, found a competent endocrinologist, corrected my diet, optimized my thyroid med, and "cured" my rheumatoid arthritis.

I eat a lot of milk and gelatin, orange juice, cooked mushrooms, egg custard, liver, and oysters. I don't eat out and I'm no fun at parties. But I don't hurt much anymore. When I do hurt, I take it as a sign and work to figure out what I did wrong. Believe me, the serotonin in the pineapple and the bananas is an issue. They both cause inflammation. Endotoxin is an issue that if ignored will kill you.

Whey is full of tryptophan and used to be fed to pigs to grow them up for slaughter. Now they make more money selling it as a health food to people. Tryptophan encourages cell division. If you are a growing child that's great! If you are a fully grown adult that's cancer. Tryptophan is the only amino acid that is carcinogenic.

Use this link to find answers to questions that you may have: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Personal research is the most valued.

OP
Cloudhands

Cloudhands

I've got a pretty strong sensitivity to serotonin, evidently. Probably because my doctor had me on a horse dose of 5-HTP for 10 years and I believe her and I took it like a good little mindless patient. Now I'm older and wiser. I have experienced a lot of inflammation issues that nearly completely incapacitated me 6 years ago. I found Ray Peat, broke it off with the doctor, found a competent endocrinologist, corrected my diet, optimized my thyroid med, and "cured" my rheumatoid arthritis.

I eat a lot of milk and gelatin, orange juice, cooked mushrooms, egg custard, liver, and oysters. I don't eat out and I'm no fun at parties. But I don't hurt much anymore. When I do hurt, I take it as a sign and work to figure out what I did wrong. Believe me, the serotonin in the pineapple and the bananas is an issue. They both cause inflammation. Endotoxin is an issue that if ignored will kill you.

Whey is full of tryptophan and used to be fed to pigs to grow them up for slaughter. Now they make more money selling it as a health food to people. Tryptophan encourages cell division. If you are a growing child that's great! If you are a fully grown adult that's cancer. Tryptophan is the only amino acid that is carcinogenic.

Use this link to find answers to questions that you may have: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Personal research is the most valued.
What about the tryptophan in milk and eggs? I assume you balance it with collagen just as I do. Do you have any evidence that the pineapple and bananas are problematic? Im not trying to be mean just actually curious. Pineapple is so pro thyroid, especially compared to oranges or orange juice. And romaine is great, i believe that whatever cellulose/hemicellulose isnt broken down in the gut is used to wipe the colon of endotoxin. I dont really have any symptoms of high seritonin, nor do i have endotoxin symptoms. Im a fun happy person whos pee smells funny. And btw it doesnt even smell anymore! Potassium bicarbonate seemed to titrate that ammonia and make it normal pee pee again haha

Whey protein isolate, according to self nutrition data, doesn't really have much tryptophan( only around 1400mg per 100 grams of protein). Same thing for muscle meat( actually ground beef can be as low as 400mg of trypt. per 100g protein) Much less than milk, which has 2400mg of trypt. per 100 grams of protein( not that this is an argument to not drink milk).

mostlylurking

What about the tryptophan in milk and eggs? I assume you balance it with collagen just as I do. Do you have any evidence that the pineapple and bananas are problematic? Im not trying to be mean just actually curious. Pineapple is so pro thyroid, especially compared to oranges or orange juice. And romaine is great, i believe that whatever cellulose/hemicellulose isnt broken down in the gut is used to wipe the colon of endotoxin. I dont really have any symptoms of high seritonin, nor do i have endotoxin symptoms. Im a fun happy person whos pee smells funny. And btw it doesnt even smell anymore! Potassium bicarbonate seemed to titrate that ammonia and make it normal pee pee again haha
Peat quote: "Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a slightly higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains less tryptophan. Some people have been encouraged to eat only the whites of eggs, “to avoid cholesterol,” but the egg albumin is rich in tryptophan." from here: Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging

The banana story: first, Ray Peat says bananas are serotonergic, too starchy, allergenic. I hadn't had one in about 6 years. I bought some tiny organic ones. I cooked one in a little coconut oil. Yum!!. The next day, I had 2 drops of Haidut's methylene blue. Within a couple of hours, I was in complete agony my inflammation was through the roof. Bananas are serotonergic, I am really sensitive, methylene blue is an mao inhibitor, meaning it keeps serotonin from breaking down. Methylene Blue and the Risk of Serotonin Toxicity - Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation

The pineapple story: I ate a slice of really ripe and very sweet fabulous pineapple. Later, I took about 250mg of thiamine and went to bed. At 2:00 in the morning I woke up in absolute agony, hurting all over, could not sleep the rest of the night. Guess what I learned the next day? If you don't take magnesium with your thiamine it will result in a spike of serotonin; that plus the pineapple just about did me in.

link: Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation here's a quote:
"Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people.

Besides avoiding foods containing fermentable fibers and starches that resist quick digestion, eating fibrous foods that contain antibacterial chemicals, such as bamboo shoots or raw carrots, helps to reduce endotoxin and serotonin."

OP
Cloudhands

Cloudhands

Whey protein isolate, according to self nutrition data, doesn't really have much tryptophan( only around 1400mg per 100 grams of protein). Same thing for muscle meat( actually ground beef can be as low as 400mg of trypt. per 100g protein) Much less than milk, which has 2400mg of trypt. per 100 grams of protein( not that this is an argument to not drink milk).
Especially if you eat it in a 5:1 ratio with collagen lol

mostlylurking

Thanks for the info. I can't reconcile it. I looked online and the reference I found had the cottage cheese as higher in tryptophan than milk. Makes no sense to me because cottage cheese is milk with the whey strained out. The whey contains the tryptophan. I don't understand it. I'm just relying on Ray's article here: Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging

OP
Cloudhands

Cloudhands

Thanks for the info. I can't reconcile it. I looked online and the reference I found had the cottage cheese as higher in tryptophan than milk. Makes no sense to me because cottage cheese is milk with the whey strained out. The whey contains the tryptophan. I don't understand it. I'm just relying on Ray's article here: Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging
Yeah man, like youd said "personal research is most valued" lol
[Insert high seritonin/authoritative comment criticizing your irony, fueled by all of the pineapples i eat]

OP
Cloudhands

Cloudhands

Yeah man, like youd said "personal research is most valued" lol

[Insert high seritonin/authoritative comment criticizing your irony, fueled by all of the pineapples i eat]
But in all seriousness, potassium bicarbonate did fix all the issues immediately for me.

LeeRoyJenkins

I did an experiment with high protein and noticed more frequent urination and lots of ammonia smell. For me it was too much protein, and dehydration.

yerrag

I just stopped my potassium bicarb and magnesium bicarb intake. Overdid it. Urine pH got as high as 7.6. Now at 7.4

Hey, but my urine doesn't smell strongly odorous anymore. Probably that potassium bicarb I took is being excreted, and not as ammonium bicarb.

My advice: Get a urine PH test strip and monitor your urine as you undergo supplementation. Keeps you from going overboard and having to shout for help at the ER.

Samya

will update...

Ok so after some time I've noticed this most with particular types of protein - fish and squid even in small amounts (<30g protein) give a strong odour when peeing an hour or two after eating. I only notice a slight odour with prawns and milk protein (low fat milk, yogurt and cheese) has no smell at all that I can pick up.