Yonebayashian

This thread is dedicated to researching and discussing making tea that is pro metabolic.

Does anyone know any teas that are low fluoride?

Is all black and green tea off the table? If these teas inevitably have flouride what methods can be utilized to reduce flouride?

What about chamomile or more uncommon teas like raspberry leaf tea?

Would the use of a water structuring device produce profound results?

What supplements can be added to a tea brew to improve the flavor and extraction from the tea? Which style is superior, hot or cold brewing?

OP
Yonebayashian

Yonebayashian

Do I have to grow my own black tea to avoid fluoride or find specially grown black tea?

Do I have to grow my own black tea to avoid fluoride or find specially grown black tea?

Q: Hello Dr. Peat
I've bought some black tea and on the label it says it's fermented black tea.
Is this type of fermented black tea safe to consume?

RP: Yes, that’s the traditional way to make it release more theobromine and caffeine.

Q: Hello Dr. Peat
What do you think of making tea [black tea for example] in this way:
Cooking the green leafy vegetables and straining the water in a cup and adding a tea bag and honey to a cup to make a tea with vegetable water. On top of that adding maybe like 0,3l of milk?

RP: It would be o.k.

lilsticky

what i think ive read here is that more fluoride is released when tea is more cut up. i dont remember who showed this info but i hope someone can corroborate

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I have never been able to get a clear answer for black and green tea. I avoided it for awhile because I would drink 4-6 cups a day of green tea. Now, I drink it in moderation and also drink glass bottled water as my main drinking water, so I have reduced my fluoride intake by doing this. Roobios and Honeybush tea I believe do not have fluoride and are more "robust" tasting than some other herbal teas. Also, I think younger tea leaves would have less fluoride, so white, green, oolong, herbal will have less than black.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
The fluoride is in the stems. Not the leaves. When tea is harvested by hand they pick and harvest it appropriately. Commercial teas are chopped with machines and or
with crude pruning shears.
For further clarification Pu-erh tea in china is called Black tea to them. In the western world because of the English we think of black tea as earl grey or Darjeeling etc. The later is not fully fermented and or aged and will get bitter the longer you brew it because of tannins and such. Pu-erh tea which is a traditional Chinese tea will be in two classes Raw and Ripe. Ripe is fully oxidized and fermented and when brewed is very black smooth earth and zero bitterness. It is often dry storage aging for years. Raw pu erh is very artisanal and has very yummy brighter flavors. Carmel camphor roasted grassy etc. because it is the raw type it will get bitter with too long of brewing time or too hot of water brewing temperature. Raw pu erh is very similar to Oolongs but different. And very different from what western cultures call Black Tea which tastes like fallen autumn leaves in hot water. Lots of tannins and needs cream and sugar. The Japanese tend to have more of the quality green teas. Benefiting from tea will work for anyone if they fallow some or most of the traditions around whatever tea they pick. Just like food and coffee and fruit and milk, everything has been commercialized and quality is mostly terrible. Find hand made teas. Drink it in moderation with the appropriate teaware because all that matters. You will draw different flavors(chemicals) out of the tea.
If a culture put milk and sugar in a specific variety of tea then maybe you should too. If they brewed it in a clay pot, why are you using a coffee mug and a stainless steel strainer? Maybe people’s traditions made toxic plants tolerable healthy and enjoyable in moderate amounts. Instead of a cheap on sale box of 20 individual tea packs maybe get some loose leaf. Or go pick some chamomile flowers. They’ll grow anywhere with sun.

ddjd

Anything we can supplement to mitigate any flouride in the green tea??

Ainaga

The fluoride is in the stems. Not the leaves. When tea is harvested by hand they pick and harvest it appropriately. Commercial teas are chopped with machines and or
with crude pruning shears.
For further clarification Pu-erh tea in china is called Black tea to them. In the western world because of the English we think of black tea as earl grey or Darjeeling etc. The later is not fully fermented and or aged and will get bitter the longer you brew it because of tannins and such. Pu-erh tea which is a traditional Chinese tea will be in two classes Raw and Ripe. Ripe is fully oxidized and fermented and when brewed is very black smooth earth and zero bitterness. It is often dry storage aging for years. Raw pu erh is very artisanal and has very yummy brighter flavors. Carmel camphor roasted grassy etc. because it is the raw type it will get bitter with too long of brewing time or too hot of water brewing temperature. Raw pu erh is very similar to Oolongs but different. And very different from what western cultures call Black Tea which tastes like fallen autumn leaves in hot water. Lots of tannins and needs cream and sugar. The Japanese tend to have more of the quality green teas. Benefiting from tea will work for anyone if they fallow some or most of the traditions around whatever tea they pick. Just like food and coffee and fruit and milk, everything has been commercialized and quality is mostly terrible. Find hand made teas. Drink it in moderation with the appropriate teaware because all that matters. You will draw different flavors(chemicals) out of the tea.
If a culture put milk and sugar in a specific variety of tea then maybe you should too. If they brewed it in a clay pot, why are you using a coffee mug and a stainless steel strainer? Maybe people’s traditions made toxic plants tolerable healthy and enjoyable in moderate amounts. Instead of a cheap on sale box of 20 individual tea packs maybe get some loose leaf. Or go pick some chamomile flowers. They’ll grow anywhere with sun.
all is great, except that it is patently false that puerh is called 'black tea' in china. it's not only not called 'black tea', but 黑茶 (black tea) is something completely different than 普洱茶 (pu-erh) and pu-erh is not a class of black tea, no matter what wikipedia says.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
all is great, except that it is patently false that puerh is called 'black tea' in china. it's not only not called 'black tea', but 黑茶 (black tea) is something completely different than 普洱茶 (pu-erh) and pu-erh is not a class of black tea, no matter what wikipedia says.

Hey thanks for the clarification! I guess that’s what I was trying to say. That puerh is not black tea. But I herd that it was referred to as black tea in china, and they are not referring to what westerns call black tea.
A friend of mine studied traditional Chinese medicine in china 15 years ago and introduced my to pu-erh tea back then. That is where I herd this.
Thanks again for the info.
Peace

Ainaga

Hey thanks for the clarification! I guess that’s what I was trying to say. That puerh is not black tea. But I herd that it was referred to as black tea in china, and they are not referring to what westerns call black tea.
A friend of mine studied traditional Chinese medicine in china 15 years ago and introduced my to pu-erh tea back then. That is where I herd this.
Thanks again for the info.
Peace
that's true that what we call black tea they don't call 黑茶 (black tea); they generally refer to what we call 'black tea' by the name of 'red tea', 红茶. like you say there are (broadly speaking) two kinds, shēng and shú, the first unfermented, the second fermented. these two have different effects on the body, according to the chinese. the difference in their taste is noticeable. it's called pu'er because it comes from a place in yunnan province called pu'er. 黑茶, what they call black tea, is rare even in china. it is made in hunan and hubei. some sources (even sources in chinese) say pu'er is, because of its color, a type of black tea, but these sources are incorrect. in yunnan, where pu'er is from, people think of pu'er as being pu'er, and tea connoisseurs (not that i am one) think likewise.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
@Ainaga
Check out the studies on Pu-erh that this guy Brad posts about. Pretty cool stuff!
I don’t understand the supplement when the tea is wonderful!
Peace

Pu-Erh tea is known for it's health giving benefits. This extract is 60% theabrownin, the compound that has proven to be the active component of the tea.

In recent years theabrownin has been shown to:

Reverse deleterious effects of a Western diet on bile acid metabolism while preventing weight gain.

Induce the browning of white fat, inducing its thermogenic function.

Reduce the weight gain from high sugar diet by improving the gut microbiome.

Restore circadian rhythm disruption by fixing tryptophan metabolism.

In short, theabrownin seems to be a cure-all for modern health maladies. How does it work? In my opinion, the evidence suggests that theabrownin inhibits the aryl hydrocarbon receptor, although this has yet to be directly demonstrated. At a minimum, theabrownin reverses many of the problems of AhR over-activation.

Additionally, theabrownin is water soluble and easily absorbed, unlike other supplements in this category such as resveratrol.

Veritas IV

Someone commented in another thread, perhaps the recent acne one, that iodine detoxes fluoride...
Boron, Iodine and Selenium have been mentioned. Doing a forum search for Boron Flouride will pull up those threads. Here's a good thread where the Boron discussion starts at this post, Travis even mentions tea.

Speaking of Boron / Borax here's a good combo Footsoak. More related info at EarthClinic <-- a good bookmark imho, read Ted's stuff too, he even jibes with Peat somewhat.

As for tea, i typically alternate between chamomile and nettle like twice a week. And now have some Cat's Claw that makes me feel nice. Not sure about their Peatiness and flouride content but i do have the minerals covered. I may even look into the teas mentioned here.

Last edited:

Ainaga

@Ainaga
Check out the studies on Pu-erh that this guy Brad posts about. Pretty cool stuff!
I don’t understand the supplement when the tea is wonderful!
Peace

Pu-Erh tea is known for it's health giving benefits. This extract is 60% theabrownin, the compound that has proven to be the active component of the tea.

In recent years theabrownin has been shown to:

Reverse deleterious effects of a Western diet on bile acid metabolism while preventing weight gain.

Induce the browning of white fat, inducing its thermogenic function.

Reduce the weight gain from high sugar diet by improving the gut microbiome.

Restore circadian rhythm disruption by fixing tryptophan metabolism.

In short, theabrownin seems to be a cure-all for modern health maladies. How does it work? In my opinion, the evidence suggests that theabrownin inhibits the aryl hydrocarbon receptor, although this has yet to be directly demonstrated. At a minimum, theabrownin reverses many of the problems of AhR over-activation.

Additionally, theabrownin is water soluble and easily absorbed, unlike other supplements in this category such as resveratrol.
interesting, first time i hear that word, theobrownin, reminds me of theobromin. also the first time i hear about the aryl hydrocarbon and its receptor. thank you for the bringing all that up.

Back
Top Bottom