“Peaty” Sweets, Sauces, Starches & Other Splurges

OP
Rinse & rePeat
haha, your response cracks me up ! Thats means If you were the host of a robinson island show, and We got invited, be a necessity to eat bugs a lá chilipper. ouch them turds in them bushes. :)
Yep! If you were invited, which you are, you better have a gut of steel on my island!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Some of my dishes would be "Buffalo Bats", "Ancho Ants", "Curry Crickets" and "Chipotle Chipmunks". Are chipmunks even on an island? ?

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, have you ever successfully made pudding using gelatin as a thickener instead of starch? I want to consume some of my milk as pudding and the closest to a starch-free pudding recipe that I have is pots de crème, which calls for heavy cream instead of milk.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, have you ever successfully made pudding using gelatin as a thickener instead of starch? I want to consume some of my milk as pudding and the closest to a starch-free pudding recipe that I have is pots de crème, which calls for heavy cream instead of milk.

I have not tried that. That is a good idea though. I could give it a try and report back to you. What about my baked custard recipe? Egg yolks might be better for a pudding and you only would have to use milk.

Attachments

• 20201218_122543.jpg
    20201218_122543.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 32

Jennifer

I have not tried that. That is a good idea though. I could give it a try and report back to you. What about my baked custard recipe? Egg yolks might be better for a pudding and you only would have to use milk.

Thank you for the suggestion. I make a custard, but it calls for quite a few egg yolks and whole milk. I looked and can’t find your recipe in this thread. Is it in your protein thread?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for the suggestion. I make a custard, but it calls for quite a few egg yolks and whole milk. I looked and can’t find your recipe in this thread. Is it in your protein thread?

Yes first page or my Peaty Protein thread. I have been making it lately with half nonfat and half whole milk and it is just a good. I would bet alk nonfat would be rich still from the yolks. I make it at least twice to three times a week. Sometimes I make an orange flavored one adding in the zest of an orange.

Jennifer

Oh, wonderful! Thank you, @Rinse & rePeat. I’m happy there’s a way to get that pudding-like consistency without the use of gelatin since I’d rather keep it vegetarian. I have semi-skimmed milk so that should work perfectly with your recipe. Thanks again!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh, wonderful! Thank you, @Rinse & rePeat. I’m happy there’s a way to get that pudding-like consistency without the use of gelatin since I’d rather keep it vegetarian. I have semi-skimmed milk so that should work perfectly with your recipe. Thanks again!

Yes! Seriously it takes me 10 minutes to get in the oven. They are so good cooled to room temperature and cold the next day. That custard and my condensed milk ice cream is the most made food in my house. I just made both yesterday!

Jennifer

Yes! Seriously it takes me 10 minutes to get in the oven. They are so good cooled to room temperature and cold the next day. That custard and my condensed milk ice cream is the most made food in my house. I just made both yesterday!

I’ve been wanting to try your condensed milk ice cream recipe, but I haven’t been able to find condensed milk made with goat’s milk or A2 milk. I found a source of evaporated goat’s milk so maybe I can make condensed milk out of it by simmering it with sugar. It might end up tasting like a barnyard, though. :depressed:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’ve been wanting to try your condensed milk ice cream recipe, but I haven’t been able to find condensed milk made with goat’s milk or A2 milk. I found a source of evaporated goat’s milk so maybe I can make condensed milk out of it by simmering it with sugar. It might end up tasting like a barnyard, though. :depressed:

Simmer it with a little butter too, so it doesn't burn on the side of the pan. I have been wanting to try making some myself.

Jennifer

Simmer it with a little butter too, so it doesn't burn on the side of the pan. I have been wanting to try making some myself.

Will do. Thank you for the tip!

L

LauriePartridge

"PEATY" CALIFORNIA ROLL

1. Gather Ingredients. Add liquid coconut oil, rice vinegar and sugar to the list of ingredients. Each container of STICKY rice makes one sushi roll. The crab salad will make 2 rolls.

2. Cut 1/2 pound boiled and chilled shrimp into chunks and put into a small food chopper. If you don't have one, maybe shredding the shrimp on a box grater would do. Soften 1 tablespoon of cream cheese and mix with 1/2 tsp sugar, a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon liquid coconut oil, 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice and a tablespoon of cream. Add to the shrimp and pulse until it resembles fine crab salad.

3. Microwave the sticky rice (I use Annie's) according to the directions. Transfer in to a glass bowl and add in 1/2 teaspoon each rice vinegar and sugar. Mix well.

4. Peel and seed a half cucumber. Put out sushi mat and place a piece of plastic on it. Have a bowl of cold water to the side. You really dont have to use a sushi mat, you can wing it with just the plastic and maybe a cloth napking under it.

5. Empty the bowl of slightly warm rice onto the mat, spreading it out about a little longer than wide. Wet the back of a big spoon with water to spread the rice out.

6. Put a sheet of nori/seaweed paper, cut to fit the same shape as the rice, on top of the rice. You don't have to use seaweed, I made the roll on fish platter without it. Spread half of the shrimp salad down the length of the seaweed paper. Put cucumber sticks and avocado alongside the shrimp salad.

7. Keeping the plastic and mat together, roll one side of the rice to touch the other side of the rice. Pull the farthest side of the mat towards you, making the roll as tight as possible. Square up the ends tight too, so nothing loose comes out. Wet the knife edge and cut the roll into pieces. Keep wiping the starch off of the knife and rewetting it between cuts. Transfer to a plate and serve with my "Peaty" Soy Sauce, sushi ginger and wasabi.

There is hardly anything healthy about the typical California Roll found in American sushi restaurants. The fake crab salad is full of chemicals and void of crab, it is mixed with PUFA laden mayo and then it gets served with estrogen laden soy sauce. I thought about creating this healthy California Roll for awhile, and I am very pleased with the results! Pair it with my no soy "Peaty Soy Sauce", with the recipe posted just above this one.

"The Dietetic Association's association with General Mills, the breakfast cereal empire, (and Kellog, Nabisco, and many other food industry giants) might have something to do with their starchy opinions. Starch-grain embolisms can cause brain damage, but major money can also make people say stupid things."
-Ray Peat
This looks so delicious. I can't wait to try it. I love your mayo substitute ideas for the shrimp salad. What about using real crab meat? When you make it again, can you post pictures of how to roll it? Or did you already?

Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes!!

L

LauriePartridge

Thank you for the examples with the aged garlic. maybe I'll try that sometime.

Oh normally histamines in food shouldn't be a big deal if gut health is oke, they need to get through three barriers:

Diamine oxidase (DAO) decomposes histamine, especially in the intestine before uptake.

Histamine-N-methyltransferase (HNMT) is able to decompose histamine inside the cells.

Furthermore, monoaminoxidase B (MAO-B) is able to degrade histamine.
So aged garlic is ok? Does it have less of an NO effect? Um, what exactly is aged garlic?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This looks so delicious. I can't wait to try it. I love your mayo substitute ideas for the shrimp salad. What about using real crab meat? When you make it again, can you post pictures of how to roll it? Or did you already?

Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes!!

I am so glad someone was attracted to my healthier crab salad invention! I did post pictures on how to roll them as best as I could without making a video. I stopped using crab salad when I learned about the fillers, starch and msg in it. They call imitation crab the "hot dog of the sea". Below I linked an article talking about the "downside" of imitation crab salad. When you get around to making yours send us a pic! Thanks for you words of encouragement and excitement!

L

LauriePartridge

I am so glad someone was attracted to my healthier crab salad invention! I did post pictures on how to roll them as best as I could without making a video. I stopped using crab salad when I learned about the fillers, starch and msg in it. They call imitation crab the "hot dog of the sea". Below I linked an article talking about the "downside" of imitation crab salad. When you get around to making yours send us a pic! Thanks for you words of encouragement and excitement!

Oh I don't think I have your talent for cooking so I doubt my version would be picture worthy but we'll see!! I would like to try real crab that I buy. I never eat the imitation crab meat and make sure I get the real thing. But I always have shrimp on hand so it's a practical idea to use it in this way. Yum!

Thanks!!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh I don't think I have your talent for cooking so I doubt my version would be picture worthy but we'll see!! I would like to try real crab that I buy. I never eat the imitation crab meat and make sure I get the real thing. But I always have shrimp on hand so it's a practical idea to use it in this way. Yum!

Thanks!!

Using shrimp tastes just the same as imitation crab, but just a little sweeter like real crab.

L

LauriePartridge

Somewhat. They look really really fantastic. I think you should make a cookbook. Seriously. It's so hard to come up with Peaty kind of ideas. Your family must love you for sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom