Peaty Stockpile

Peater

I'm trying to buy items in bulk to take advantage of quantity pricing but a bit stumped for food. What would you class as decent non-perishable peaty food?

Tinned fruit?
Corned beef? (Nitrates though)
Seafood?
Condensed milk?

Rice, legumes and grains store well but aren't ideal

Cheers!

Lejeboca

Gummy bears
Coconut oil
Canned mushrooms (probably)
canned wild shrimp and other seafood, indeed.

Ulysses

Depending on your freezer space and on what you mean by non-perishable, ice cream will keep for quite a while. I think it takes at least a few weeks for freezer burn to occur.

Sugar and Mexican Coke will keep for a long time, too. I'm guessing you could find the Coke at a restaurant supply wholesaler. Same with ice cream, although not sure about the quality. I used to buy eggs at a wholesaler at a rate of five dozen for $8, and if you hardboil them all at once, without cracking the shells, they'll stay edible in a refrigerator for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peater

Good ideas there guys

Has Ray ever commented on dried meats like jerky/biltong? I know aging meat increases histamine but this isn't aged in the usual meaning

Stefan

Condensed, sweetened coconut milk, if you can find it. Comes in cans, so they last forever. The ones I get have calcium added, one serving is something like 15% RDA calcium. The fat profile is 100% saturated (or close enough). And it just tastes gosh darn delicious.

Sunny Jack

Concentrated orange juice, which needs no refrigeration.
Powdered milk.
Great Lakes gelatin.

I don't think Peat would have a problem with jerky.

aquaman

Frozen organic fruits.

You can get them in giant tubs of 20-40 pounds. Often they are sweeter because they get picked closer to the ripe date, and then quickly frozen.

Other than that - I would pre-make huge quantities of high gelstin stewed beef (I use beef shin), and freeze it. Beef shin is super cheap, and when stewed for 3-4 hours in the oven with stock, vegetables, mushrooms and some red wine, it’s deliciois and very high in collagen/gelatin. The liquid sets hard in the fridge after you cook it. It’s also very low in fat (you can tell because when put in the fridge, fat does not form on the top like eg for bone broth). It will last for a week in the fridge, but you could buy very large quantities of organic from a good source for cheap, and pre-freeze in portions of 2 or 3 and use for a month.

I think most people significantly under-eat protein on this forum and over-eat fat. Hence why they are fat and have liver issues. And have too many liquid carbs (juice, milk), leading to fat storage issues again.

OP
P

Peater

Thanks for reminding me of beef shin - I've been meaning to get hold of some and try it in the pressure cooker, hopefully it's as delicious as oxtail!

When you say protein I guess you mean 'Peaty' gelatinous protein rather than muscle meat?

PATB

Bumping this thread, check out my posts on the gelatin thread: Where To Get Gelatin?

Unopened, gelatin powder it should last indefinitely.

I will try to compile a list of peat-friendly foods and their lifespan (unopened, frozen, refrigerated, etc - it makes a difference sometimes).

Worst case scenario? You spend a little extra money and have to throw some spoiled food away.

PATB

Just made a rough draft spreadsheet of peaty / semi-peaty foods with shelf life comparisons. It's Friday night and I'm exhausted working overtime (+ sleep deprivation) so I don't feel ready to share it yet.

Anyone who has resources on this topic, please share. If something already exists of this sort, please post it.
We need to get to the bottom of this with genuine data, as well as tips/tricks and proper storage methods.

Hopefully this weekend some progress can be made on this.

Better to be safe than sorry: https://www.google.com/search?q=food+shortages+covid

OP
P

Peater

Bumping this thread, check out my posts on the gelatin thread: Where To Get Gelatin?

Unopened, gelatin powder it should last indefinitely.

I will try to compile a list of peat-friendly foods and their lifespan (unopened, frozen, refrigerated, etc - it makes a difference sometimes).

Worst case scenario? You spend a little extra money and have to throw some spoiled food away.

I keep little sachets of Dr. Oetker gelatine in the cupboard to sprinkle into meals, my only concern is the packaging lists sulphites whereas Great Lakes didn't (Can't seem to get hold of standard GL beef gelatin anymore)

PATB

I keep little sachets of Dr. Oetker gelatine in the cupboard to sprinkle into meals, my only concern is the packaging lists sulphites whereas Great Lakes didn't (Can't seem to get hold of standard GL beef gelatin anymore)
Recently I have just been buying the "Great Value" (Walmart brand), it's the cheapest. I also used the Knox when they were out of the cheaper Walmart brand. It lists 1 ingredient: gelatin. It's also in the form of 2 packets combined together, like Knox. This is getting off-topic though.

postman

Powdered potato mash. Some of them have pufa oils added but many dont