Peaty-@Haidut Supplements For Our Pets? Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome

skycop00

Hello all. I am typing with a heavy heart as my 14 year old blind Dachshund Tanner passed 2 days after getting through our pool fence and drowning. As we look back at his years I was wondering what products may be generally good for their aging process. I am seeing an alarming trend in diabetes and blindness (both diabetes relates and non-diabetes related SARDS). Tanner suffered from SARDS (Sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome)

Vets seem to be clueless and only continue to reap the $$$$ like modern medical model. I am so sure elevated estrogens, lawn chemicals and poor nutrition are to blame for so many problems. If I could have just helped Tanner with his eyesight....(big sigh as that site in the pool just doesn't leave my mind).

We have another 13 year old female Doxie and I want to protect her as much as possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Thank you...

meatbag

Sorry about your doggo man :(

I think it's the dog food. Huge amount of pufa, iron, carotene, basically dog food is the most anti thyroid food :( I think maybe they could do pretty good on potatoes, butter, some meat, stewed apples with sugar, little bit of liver- but this would be a pretty big time probably more expensive investment. There's an old experiment I read that I'll have to dig up where they fed the dogs nothing but wholewheat bread and butter and they were VERY healthy. I've tried to get my dog to eat raw carrots but she just chews them up and spits them out -_-
My family has fed our last three dogs pretty high end dog food and they still acquire degenerative conditions fairly quickly- I'm not convinced it's much better than the low level stuff. Some of the canned foods seem better maybe.

Also people whose dogs are "outside" dogs seem way healthier mentally and physically than the house dogs. Obviously this isn't an option for everyone but I think they do better being outside all day. Sounds like maybe yours are outside dogs though? 14 years is a good life for a modern pup :)

OP
S

skycop00

Sorry about your doggo man :(

I think it's the dog food. Huge amount of pufa, iron, carotene, basically dog food is the most anti thyroid food :( I think maybe they could do pretty good on potatoes, butter, some meat, stewed apples with sugar, little bit of liver- but this would be a pretty big time probably more expensive investment. There's an old experiment I read that I'll have to dig up where they fed the dogs nothing but wholewheat bread and butter and they were VERY healthy. I've tried to get my dog to eat raw carrots but she just chews them up and spits them out -_-
My family has fed our last three dogs pretty high end dog food and they still acquire degenerative conditions fairly quickly- I'm not convinced it's much better than the low level stuff. Some of the canned foods seem better maybe.

Also people whose dogs are "outside" dogs seem way healthier mentally and physically than the house dogs. Obviously this isn't an option for everyone but I think they do better being outside all day. Sounds like maybe yours are outside dogs though? 14 years is a good life for a modern pup :)
Thank you very much for the kind words. Tanner was an amazingly independent dog and his blindness really caused severe depression until I met Dr Al Plechner in California who had worked with these dogs with SARDS and many were able to return site through the use of Medrol and T4. His idea (which all other vets laugh at), is that the adrenals are not adequately producing a recognizable form of cortisol. In fact, they are pumping out estrogen instead causing a myriad of problems as we all know. His protocol was able to return sight to Tanner for about 10 months which was wonderful for the little guy. His mood and energy levels skyrocketed on the meds. Up till his last day he was chipper and had energy, just blind.

Here is a strory that was done on him after he was paralyzed by a disc rupture. Back he came....walking again. Miraculous life he had...http://www.dodgerslist.com/monthstory/sept08.htm

Thank you again...

Last edited:

Lilac

I had an Airedale with digestive issues. I was feeding him one of the better brands of kibble. If I remember correctly, he would vomit his food, and he got down to bone-thinness. The vet had no insight other than "some dogs have 'plumbing' issues." This was around the time of the mica poisoning of dog-food ingredients from China. I don't think my dog had mica poisoning, because as I understand it, he would have been dead from that. But the problems around us made me try cooking his food. (Didn't know about raw back then.) So from then on, he ate cheap chicken (boiled), oatmeal, and boiled eggs. He ate raw carrots from puppyhood as a "treat." He also ate lots of table scraps. He loved raw marrow bones above anything. He never had a digestion problem after that, and he lived to 14. This was all before I got into paleo, then Peat. So I would probably add in some liver, beef, lamb, and fruit now.

I had a wire-hair terrier who went blind at age three, so you have my sympathy. One vet said perhaps glaucoma caused it. I had taken him to an emergency open-on-Sunday animal hospital when he was having his crisis, and the vet there didn't have any diagnosis and did not spot that he had gone blind. I had to figure this out myself! My dog was depressed until I started taking him for a daily walk. And I would also take a short run with him down a clear street. There is so much pent-up energy in a blind dog. Hang in there.

ETA: Forgot to add my 2 cents on lawn chemicals. A friend's beagle succumbed to cancer at about age three. The vet in their Connecticut suburb said the lawn chemicals were to blame and it was an epidemic. (Droopy ears on beagle make it more vulnerable.) Since then, we don't put weedkiller on our lawn, for ourselves as well as the animals. (Lawn looks worse, btw, as the clover keeps taking over.)

Last edited:
OP
S

skycop00

I had an Airedale with digestive issues. I was feeding him one of the better brands of kibble. If I remember correctly, he would vomit his food, and he got down to bone-thinness. The vet had no insight other than "some dogs have 'plumbing' issues." This was around the time of the mica poisoning of dog-food ingredients from China. I don't think my dog had mica poisoning, because as I understand it, he would have been dead from that. But the problems around us made me try cooking his food. (Didn't know about raw back then.) So from then on, he ate cheap chicken (boiled), oatmeal, and boiled eggs. He ate raw carrots from puppyhood as a "treat." He also ate lots of table scraps. He loved raw marrow bones above anything. He never had a digestion problem after that, and he lived to 14. This was all before I got into paleo, then Peat. So I would probably add in some liver, beef, lamb, and fruit now.

I had a wire-hair terrier who went blind at age three, so you have my sympathy. One vet said perhaps glaucoma caused it. I had taken him to an emergency open-on-Sunday animal hospital when he was having his crisis, and the vet there didn't have any diagnosis and did not spot that he had gone blind. I had to figure this out myself! My dog was depressed until I started taking him for a daily walk. And I would also take a short run with him down a clear street. There is so much pent-up energy in a blind dog. Hang in there.
Thank you Lilac...+)) The crematory just called, Tanner will be home today at 5p with us (we opted for his ashes)....as a tear hits the keyboard....

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sorry for your loss @skycop00.

I've been thinking lately about things I can do for my old dog with mast cell cancer. She had the tumor removed last week is doing good at the moment but I'm not going to put her through another surgery.

Here is an older thread about @SQu's dog Maggie and how diet changes helped her out.

https://raypeatforum.com/community/posts/47928/

Regina

Hello all. I am typing with a heavy heart as my 14 year old blind Dachshund Tanner passed 2 days after getting through our pool fence and drowning. As we look back at his years I was wondering what products may be generally good for their aging process. I am seeing an alarming trend in diabetes and blindness (both diabetes relates and non-diabetes related SARDS). Tanner suffered from SARDS (Sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome)

Vets seem to be clueless and only continue to reap the $$$$ like modern medical model. I am so sure elevated estrogens, lawn chemicals and poor nutrition are to blame for so many problems. If I could have just helped Tanner with his eyesight....(big sigh as that site in the pool just doesn't leave my mind).

We have another 13 year old female Doxie and I want to protect her as much as possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Thank you...
Ah darn skycapOO, I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Tanner.
Anymore, it is rare to hear about dogs living to 14.

I think Meatbag is right about the pufa, iron and carotene. As well, our water and lawn products. I moved to Lincoln Park, mostly for my dogs, away from manicured (poisoned) downtown park. Even on the high-end, iron is added. I also think there is far too much bone added. Ground up weight-bearing bones to create more weight.

Even Stella and Chewy's:
Lamb, Lamb Spleen, Lamb Liver, Lamb Bone, Lamb Heart, Lamb Kidney, Calcium Carbonate, Pumpkin Seed, Potassium Chloride, Organic Cranberries, Organic Spinach, Organic Broccoli, Organic Beets, Sodium Phosphate Monobasic, Organic Carrots, Organic Squash, Organic Apples, Organic Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Dried Pediococcus Acidilactici Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Taurine, Tocopherols (Preservative), Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine Monohydrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

OP
S

skycop00

OP
S

skycop00

Ah darn skycapOO, I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Tanner.
Anymore, it is rare to hear about dogs living to 14.

I think Meatbag is right about the pufa, iron and carotene. As well, our water and lawn products. I moved to Lincoln Park, mostly for my dogs, away from manicured (poisoned) downtown park. Even on the high-end, iron is added. I also think there is far too much bone added. Ground up weight-bearing bones to create more weight.

Even Stella and Chewy's:
Lamb, Lamb Spleen, Lamb Liver, Lamb Bone, Lamb Heart, Lamb Kidney, Calcium Carbonate, Pumpkin Seed, Potassium Chloride, Organic Cranberries, Organic Spinach, Organic Broccoli, Organic Beets, Sodium Phosphate Monobasic, Organic Carrots, Organic Squash, Organic Apples, Organic Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Dried Pediococcus Acidilactici Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Taurine, Tocopherols (Preservative), Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine Monohydrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
Thank you Regina. I have contemplated a move as well.

SQu

Sorry to hear this, how sad.

Here is an older thread about @SQu's dog Maggie and how diet changes helped her out.
To update, all this is still true. She's in her 14 th year now which is usually decrepitude for labs. All the things I said back then remain true especially coat and eyes, which will actually visibly get misty if we go on holiday and she gets nothing but commercial dog food for a while, and reverse when we return. She is a bit deafer and stiffer, that's all.

I see even the basic dog food (that's not hyped with a price to match) is approaching the price of chicken. When it gets there, there will be no reason at all other than convenience to buy it anymore.

burtlancast

Nowadays, anybody who wants his pet to remain healthy is almost obliged to cook/prepare his meals and avoid canned food.

God knows what's in these cans.

Regarding pet cancer, one treatment that i know works well is the Beljanski products.
And i suppose one could give vit b17 foods for cancer prevention.

Koveras

I believe I read that many plastic dog toys contain BPA and other estrogenic chemicals. Considering that touching receipts often is enough to significantly raise BPA levels in humans I'm sure there is a detrimental effect to chewing, salivating, swallowing, holding those toys in their mouths...

jyb

I believe I read that many plastic dog toys contain BPA and other estrogenic chemicals. Considering that touching receipts often is enough to significantly raise BPA levels in humans I'm sure there is a detrimental effect to chewing, salivating, swallowing, holding those toys in their mouths...

I'm sure kids toys have that problem too. In fact adult toys too...

OP
S

skycop00

I have been aware of estrogen issues and kept toys to a minimum. the blindness is particularly cruel imo. Something attacks their retinal tissue and the vets are all clueless.

BobbyDukes

As I was reading this I was chewing a bic biro pen (think it's been in my mouth most of the day) *promotely spitted out*

loess

My housemate has a 13 year-old Boston terrier who's taken a turn for the worse over the last few months. Cloudy eyes, loss of bladder control, losing his hearing and generally pretty lethargic. We've got a fenced yard that he can go out in, but he rarely gets walked anywhere, it's just not something that my friend makes an effort to do with him, for whatever reason. It's hard to watch. Wish there was a way to get him off of the PUFA-rich dog food, but...not my dog, not my place to try and convince my friend to spend $ on preparing good pro-metabolic food for the dog (let alone himself). I do give him a little bit of liver every time I cook it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom