Peaty Bedside Snacks

Sheik

I'm looking for ideas of what to keep by my bed for when I wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I'm thinking low sugar, since it could easily end up sitting on your teeth for hours, though I'm open to ideas. Ideally foods that I can keep a stock of in my night stand, which will last a good while.

800mRepeats

I'd love some ideas, too. I'm finding mid-night snacking to be rather the opposite of stress-relieving as I am also concerned about my teeth - so, in addition to the disruption of snacking, there's also some form of swishing, brushing, or otherwise caring for my teeth after the snack. Might as well shower & dress at that point.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I put a glass of apple juice near my bed, and if I wake up in the middle of the night for potty break then I drink some till I feel it's enough. If you are worried about teeth, have a glass of water next to your snack, take a mouthful, swish and swallow, repeat if needed.

BobbyDukes

I have the same problem. Well, the problem for me is that I am not feeling like I want to eat anything in the middle of the night. This is when I wake up for a restroom break. For me to eat, I would need to wake up properly. But my body chooses sleep 100% of the time. The thought of putting anything in my mouth when I am half asleep just isn't going to happen. Even though I can feel that my body would probably love some sugar/saturated fat. It's a shame I can't instantly be drip fed whilst sleeping (Peaty drip feeding).

I think ice cream before bed seemed like a good idea, but I found it hard to sleep with that digesting.

I guess I've had some success with home made fudge, which I eat with meat, gelatin in the late evening. I couldn't eat that when waking up in the night, though.

Birdie

Sometimes I put a small glass of the milky coffee drink in the bathroom. A paper napkin on top... If I drink too much my tummy gurgles, so I try to remember that and keep it small.

Mostly though, I get up, put milk in the frother, put sugar and a bit of decaf in my mug, etc. Then I go back to sleep. Sometimes I don't go back to sleep but doze for an hour.

If I awaken in the middle of the night, usually I don't have food. But if it's more toward morning, then I have the milky coffee. This seems to go in cycles, so that for weeks I'll have the milk drink in the bathroom. Then, for weeks, I'll get up and use the frother.

Agree with Charlie on the glass of water. It needs to be out and ready or I'll forget to swish.

If I have a little cheese at bedtime, that helps me get through most of the night without food. A little cheese on the nightstand might work too. And that probably wouldn't hurt the teeth. I vaguely remember some study where the French, with their after dinner cheese, were found to have less tooth decay.
Still, I try to swish after it.

equusvult

I'm looking for ideas of what to keep by my bed for when I wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I'm thinking low sugar, since it could easily end up sitting on your teeth for hours, though I'm open to ideas. Ideally foods that I can keep a stock of in my night stand, which will last a good while.
Orange juice with extra sugar and salt to taste, with the side of water to swish for teeth works great for me. Puts me back to sleep in 20 minutes or less. Been doing it for 3 years and have had no teeth issues...

Birdie

I should also mention that if I need a nighttime snack, I must untape my mouth, remove my retainers, clean them .... then continue.
Food during the night is not at all convenient for me!

whit

I'm with Equusvult the oj and salt is great, sugared whole milk at bedtime can give more time before wakeup. Icecream is great too.

Sunny Jack

If you're worried about teeth, then a thermal flask of warm milk and honey/sugar is an ideal bedside snack. It is non-acidic and of the right composition to put you back to sleep again. You could swish with water afterwards for added protection. Just pour out a cup, drink, and go back to sleep.

For when you wake up, keeping a miniature fridge in your room would enable you to have cold orange juice as soon as you woke up, ending the stress of overnight fasting. Practical solutions to Peatish problems there.

Birdie

I've often thought a small fridge in my room would be a good thing.
Never followed through on it though.
In winter, I can just put the oj on the windowsill. It'll stay cold where I live.
But I tend to use milky coffee with sugar that works for me.

I used to leave a covered glass of oj for my little girl (2 years old) on a table in her room.
It stayed fine overnight in So Calif even.
In the morning I'd hear her making up little dramas and quite content.

d1d2

If you're worried about teeth, then a thermal flask of warm milk and honey/sugar is an ideal bedside snack.

Thanks for your comment but did you choose Bashar al Assad as your avatar on purpose? Maybe it’s meant to be ironic somehow?

Sunny Jack

Thanks for your comment but did you choose Bashar al Assad as your avatar on purpose? Maybe it’s meant to be ironic somehow?
Ah, I thought it was Freddie Mercury! I'll change it to something more appropriate.

Birdie

:):

I like sucking on a big spoonful of raw honeycomb. I spit out the wax when I am done and sleep like a baby!

Epik

I like sucking on a big spoonful of raw honeycomb. I spit out the wax when I am done and sleep like a baby!
That's crazy, I thought of it as the perfect bed side snack, a bit expensive tho. Why don't you swallow the wax? I thought there were plenty of good things like policosanols

That's crazy, I thought of it as the perfect bed side snack, a bit expensive tho. Why don't you swallow the wax? I thought there were plenty of good things like policosanols

I just thought with as much as I eat of it it could be clogging.

"Unfortunately, your wax can be contaminated with environmental pollutants. But, this is true for any produced food item. We can not control where the bees fly and they will forage across the countryside."

"Most studies report beeswax alone to have very little nutritional value. But you will be getting the nutritional value of the honey, pollen etc. in the wax cells."