Peaty Advice On Preparing For A Track Meet

Philomath

My HS sophomore daughter, who's is probably hypothyroid, is running track this year for the first time. They have the kids eat pasta and carbo load the night before but make few and very general recommendations for meet day. Here is what I found online from a nutritionist:

Eat familiar foods 1-4 hours before race time. The closer she eats to race start the less volume and less complex she should eat. A less complex meal would be low in fat and fiber and moderately low in protein. Aim for carbohydrate rich choices like bagels, waffles, toast, and oatmeal. A basic carbohydrate guideline is to eat about 50 grams of carbohydrate for each hour before the race start. For example if she eats at 8 am for a projected race time of 10:30 am, a simple breakfast of a banana, medium bagel, 2 T. strawberry preserves, and a trail mix bar would provide about 600 calories,125 grams of carbohydrate, 13 grams of protein, and 6 grams of fat. Including more fat and protein with options like milk, yogurt, peanut butter, or cheese may make the meal more satisfying. If he prefers such options they may be better tolerated in smaller portions or with a longer window of time before race start.

Based on some of the exercise advice here, I would suspect potatos the night before, with fruit, oj, maybe sugared milk right before? I found the organic Gatorade with real sugar (awesome!) but would Mexican Coke be a good mid meet drink? Baking soda??

As always, advice is very much appreciated!

FredSonoma

Other than personal experience, I really have no idea. So if your daughter's stomach / digestion is much healthier than mine (I have constant stomach bloating) she could probably eat more than me. But I find I compete the best on a completely empty stomach, not even some fruit juice before. So I'll eat normal breakfast and lunch, and then will be competing at 6 PM and won't eat anything until after at 8-9 PM.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Other than personal experience, I really have no idea. So if your daughter's stomach / digestion is much healthier than mine (I have constant stomach bloating) she could probably eat more than me. But I find I compete the best on a completely empty stomach, not even some fruit juice before. So I'll eat normal breakfast and lunch, and then will be competing at 6 PM and won't eat anything until after at 8-9 PM.

Thanks. So you think the gas and bloating makes you feel full? My daughter has a stomach the size of a golf ball. She gets hungry but fills up quick.

tyler

I was cycling and competitively racing throughout my first year following peat's principles. Alka-seltzer (or aspirin+baking soda) in gatorade, with some caffeine, turned me into a damn machine! I would sip this throughout rides and races.
I think a good tactic would be to mitigate lactic acid production (baking soda). Try to keep a constant supply of energy coming in throughout the meet, but I would keep it liquid/fiberless to minimize the time needed for digestion.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Good call Tyler, thanks for the suggestions. So based on yours and FredSonoma's advice, knowing digestion times is important. How do you know when you've finished digesting a meal? I'm guessing she would want to time things so food has gone past the stomach before she begins exerting herself. Her team had a past party last night before today's meet. They began running at 10 am so I highly doubt the evening complex carbo's made any difference. For school night meets, say they start at 6p, and she eats lunch at 11:30am, would well cooked mashed potatoes be a good lunch with milk or ice cream for dinner (around 4/5p)??

800mRepeats

I prefer that my last solid food be 3 hours before running - especially racing.
I suggest practicing nutrition during training - see what works and what doesn't regarding food & drink and timing thereof. Also, most runners I know who use Coke or other carbonated beverages for running prefer them de-fizzed.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Applesauce helped me during swimming. Lots of applesauce.
Thanks @DaveFoster. If I recall, you successfully deal with your ADHD using peat ideas, mainly coffee/caffeine. My daughter has ADHD and isn't able to do that much coffee so we put her back on concerta. It's an eight hour time release pill so likely spent by afternoon track. We did not give her any during her AM track meet Saturday. Did you take any Methamphetamines (or caffeine) while swimming or would exercise and stimulants be too taxing?

DaveFoster

Thanks @DaveFoster. If I recall, you successfully deal with your ADHD using peat ideas, mainly coffee/caffeine. My daughter has ADHD and isn't able to do that much coffee so we put her back on concerta. It's an eight hour time release pill so likely spent by afternoon track. We did not give her any during her AM track meet Saturday. Did you take any Methamphetamines (or caffeine) while swimming or would exercise and stimulants be too taxing?
I fasted a lot while swimming; I highly don't recommend that. From what I'm aware, negatives effects from amphetamine manifest in personality disruption over the longer-term (emotional instability, increased impulsivity upon cessation, and increased aggression.)

I would exercise for three hours (weight training) while fasted on about 200-300 mg caffeine). I always felt manic afterwards. Amphetamines can probably increase her performance during a track meet, but I would reserve those for studying only, and I would continue to find alternatives. L-theanine and caffeine is a commonly used combination.

Taking temps and pulse with labs can be informative.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals