Peat's Views On Lung Disease?

montmorency

I wonder if Ray Peat has said very much that is specific to lung diseases, by which I mean best ways of prevention, and then possible treatments if disease actually occurs?

I ask partly because I saw a reference here to Ray Peat having said that aspirin can help with most cancers except lung cancer.

I am slightly sensitive about this subject since (some years ago) we lost a very dear member of my extended family (far too young) to this disease. Too late to help her now of course, but I often wondered what could have led to the disease in her case, and what might have been done to prevent it, or to possibly treat it once it was diagnosed (from a Peatarian perspective, of course).

And more positively, how one can prevent it in one's own life, and those near and dear to us.

Obviously avoidance of PUFAs would come into it, but is there anything specific to lung diseases, I wonder?

My own relative used to smoke in her youth (we were a similar age, and would be fellow smoking conspirators in late teenage years). I don't know at what point she gave up smoking - I'd think when she had children, but I'm not certain. (She lived a long way from me, so we only saw each other at family gatherings from time to time).

The other issue would be environmental poisoning I guess. Now, she was a teacher, from around 1970 on, and in those days it would have meant lots of chalk dust around the place (maybe still does in some establishments). However, I've seen a report that claimed that teachers in a certain area were statistically more inclined to develop lung diseases because of something used in the construction, either of a certain sort of pre-fabricated classroom, or something similar. I haven't looked into that very deeply though.

But of course, not all teachers got or get lung diseases, and we would expect there to be many other factors at work.

Anyway, if anyone has read or heard Ray Peat's views on lung diseases specifically, I would find them very interesting.

mandance

I havent seen anything specific on the lungs. Its hard to say really, why some people can damage their bodies from smoking, their entire lives and not get sick. And why some get lung cancer, having never smoked. My grandma smoked over 40 years and is in good health at 92 I believe? My dad smoked most of his life, and died a few years ago from heart and lung failure at 66. So who knows. Avoiding obviously polution, toxins and chemicals is the only thing you can really do...the rest is just up to biology. Of course doing everything you can to be healthy as well. I wouldnt really worry about it. Some people are just unlucky, that is the hard part about life. My friends cousin died at like 19 from lung cancer...and never smoked and never was around anything that would raise concerns. How does anyone explain it? No one can...life is very strange. Some of the more senior members here might have some information though. I havent read everything Peat has written yet. But its def a good question to ask.

OP
M

montmorency

mandance said:
I havent seen anything specific on the lungs. Its hard to say really, why some people can damage their bodies from smoking, their entire lives and not get sick. And why some get lung cancer, having never smoked. My grandma smoked over 40 years and is in good health at 92 I believe? My dad smoked most of his life, and died a few years ago from heart and lung failure at 66. So who knows. Avoiding obviously polution, toxins and chemicals is the only thing you can really do...the rest is just up to biology. Of course doing everything you can to be healthy as well. I wouldnt really worry about it. Some people are just unlucky, that is the hard part about life. My friends cousin died at like 19 from lung cancer...and never smoked and never was around anything that would raise concerns. How does anyone explain it? No one can...life is very strange. Some of the more senior members here might have some information though. I havent read everything Peat has written yet. But its def a good question to ask.

Thanks Mandance. I appreciate your reply.

Any other views are also welcome, of course.

Gabriel

I think smoke and other air-bound toxins (such as household smoke, asbestos, dust, traffic pollution, radon etc) are a big factors that are causing lung disease. Eliminating these + a proper diet, would be my primary target if I had to deal with lung disease.

Whats the specific lung disease your relative had?

OP
M

montmorency

Gabriel said:
I think smoke and other air-bound toxins (such as household smoke, asbestos, dust, traffic pollution, radon etc) are a big factors that are causing lung disease. Eliminating these + a proper diet, would be my primary target if I had to deal with lung disease.

Whats the specific lung disease your relative had?

I never did find out precisely, and there was not a good opportunity to enquire. I assumed some sort of lung cancer, but at one time it seemed to be suggested that it might be something else. There might have been a certain amount of denial going on in the family. Even nowadays, it can be a kind of taboo subject.

Gabriel

It would be interesting to know as it could give a hint towards the cause.

There are also genetic lung disorders such as cystic fibrosis or alpha-1-anti-trypsin-deficiency. Those can also be worsened/ameliorated by environmental things like diet.

churchmouth

I am trying to understand if there is anything from a peat specific /dietary approach that can make a positive impact on the condition?

Last edited by a moderator:

churchmouth

I am trying to understand if there is anything from a peat specific /dietary approach that can make a positive impact on the condition?

What I found. Because the lung damage seems to occur later in life I wondered if relationship to falling androgens had been researched. Well I found that a form of TRT raised the levels of antitrypsin significantly:

"Danozol, a synthetic androgen, is capable of stimulating the acute phase response and was advocated to stimulate hepatic production of AAT.While statistically significant increases in circulating AAT levels were documented with this treatment, a clinical response to these small changes was impossible to detect."

Summary by someone that might have access to the full study

Last edited by a moderator: