Peat's Opinion On Colloidal Silver ?

burtlancast

I've googled it, and came up with this curezone post:

"Colloidal Silver Toxicity _ Dr. Ray Peat plus references

All silver is very toxic, and the colloidal form wouldn't kill germs if it weren't very active chemically. It isn't as toxic as mercury, but few things are. It’s slightly less toxic than lead.

Question: Client has severe allergies, takes a drug for migraines and has been taking Colloidal Silver for over a year (can’t remember) because she says she has Lyme’s disease. Recently she got the flu, became bedridden and then got trench mouth and is very sick, taking antibiotics. Is there any other safer treatment for Lyme’s disease?

Dr. Ray Peat: I suspect that she has been a chronic beans-pasta-cereal indulger, who got temporary relief from the endotoxemia by using the silver. All the symptoms are suggestive of a chronic and progressing intestinal dysbiosis. Camphoric acid (and/or flowers of sulfur) used to be used to treat such things, but carrots and gelatin and milk might do it.

Drug Chem Toxicol. 2003 May;26(2):75-85.
Toxicity of metal ions used in dental alloys: a study in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
Yang HC, Pon LA.
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Physicians and Surgeons,
Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA.
Metal ions are released from dental alloys into the oral environment, which can cause biological responses over short and extended periods. Since most toxic metal ions are capable of inducing oxidative stress on cells through the mitochondrial respiratory chain, mitochondria may contribute to and be a target of metal toxicity. In this study, we investigated the effect of metal ions on growth of the budding yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and on the morphology and function of yeast mitochondria. Moreover, we tested whether mitochondrial respiratory activity contributes to metal toxicity. Metal ions affected yeast
cell growth. The toxicity of metal ions to yeast cells, ranked in decreasing order are as follows: Hg > Ag > Au > Cu, Ni, Co, Zn. This result mostly correlates with the degree of toxicity of those metal ions to growth of human cells. The MIC90 of Hg, Ag and Au ions in synthetic complete media are 0.325, 5
and 320 microM, respectively. None of the toxic metal ions resulted in loss of mitochondrial respiratory activity. However, respiration-deficient rho0 cells appeared to be resistant to Ag ion, but not to Hg and Au ions. Furthermore, at high concentrations, Ag ion caused morphological changes in mitochondria.
These studies indicate that yeast may be used as a model system to screen for toxic effect of metals ions from dental alloys, and that oxidation activity in mitochondria may play a role in acute toxicity of silver ion.

Environ Toxicol Chem. 2003 Jun;22(6):1361-7.
Mechanism of acute silver toxicity in Daphnia magna.
Bianchini A, Wood CM.
Fundacao Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Rua Eng. Alfredo Huch, 475, 96.201-900 Rio Grande, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. [email protected]

Daphnids (Daphnia magna) were exposed to AgNO3 at 0.303 +/- 0.017 microg silver/L (46.9% as Ag+), in the absence of food, in moderately hard synthetic water under static conditions for up to 48 h. Results from accumulation experiments demonstrated that silver body burden was inversely related to body mass. Daphnids exposed to silver exhibited ionoregulatory disturbance, which was characterized by decreases in whole-body sodium concentration. This ionoregulatory disturbance was explained, at least in part, by a competitive inhibition of the whole-body sodium uptake (six- to sevenfold increase in the
Michaelis constant with no change in maximal velocity), which was complete by 1 h of exposure, and resulted in approximately 40% inhibition of sodium influx from the water. A rapidly developing inhibition of whole-body Na+,K(+)-dependent adenosine triphosphatase (Na+,K(+)-ATPase) activity, significant by 2 h and complete at 90% blockade by 12 h, also was observed during exposure to AgNO3. Therefore, these findings clearly demonstrate that the key mechanism involved in acute Ag+ toxicity in D. magna, the most sensitive freshwater organism tested to date, resembles that described for freshwater fish--that is, inhibition of active sodium uptake by blockade of Na+,K(+)-ATPase. Furthermore, the results showed that Na+,K(+)-ATPase inhibition was directly related to silver accumulation in the whole body of D. magna. However, the nature of the sodium uptake inhibition (competitive vs noncompetitive in fish) and the fact that whole-body chloride concentration was not disturbed in daphnids was different from fish. With regard to the biotic ligand model (BLM) for silver, our results yielded a log K value of about 8.9. However, the current version of the BLM uses a rainbow trout log K value (7.3) but achieves the correct sensitivity of the model for daphnids by reducing the saturation of toxic sites needed to cause toxicity. An alternative way may be to use the log K value derived from the present results.

Toxicology. 2003 Apr 15;186(1-2):151-7.
Accumulation of silver from drinking water into cerebellum and musculus soleus
in mice.
Pelkonen KH, Heinonen-Tanski H, Hanninen OO.
Department of Physiology, University of Kuopio, POB 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio,
Finland.
In spite of the general toxicity, ecotoxicity and sparsely known metabolism of silver, WHO allows silver ions (Ag) up to 0.1 mg/l in drinking water disinfection. In order to determine the accumulation and distribution of silver in a mammalian body, mice were given for 1 and 2 weeks drinking water
containing a 3-fold lower concentration, namely 0.03 mg/l silver ions as silver nitrate labelled with 110mAg. The silver concentrations in different tissues were analysed by gamma radioactivity. The saturation of tissues with silver seems to occur quickly, as there were no statistical differences between silver contents of mice tissues in spite of the study design that mice were administered silver for 1 or 2 weeks. The highest concentrations were found in musculus soleus (m. soleus), cerebellum, spleen, duodenum, and myocardial muscle in the rank order. Concentrations of silver in musculus gastrocnemius (m. gastrocnemius) were found to correlate negatively with cerebrum and positively with blood and kidneys. The accumulation of silver into organs and tissues important in motor functions
may be of relevance especially in emergency and catastrophe situations in which accurate motor functions may be critical. A re-evaluation of the present recommendations on the use of silver salts for disinfection of drinking water might be necessary.

JAAPA. 2000 May;13(5):103-4, 107.
Argyria: consequences of using an antiquated medication.
Egli KL.
Zacchaeus Medical Clinic, Washington, DC, USA."
Silver Toxicity at Colloidal Silver Forum, topic 1237382

Other times, google comes up with this Rita Lee PDF, where she seems to quote Peat himself:

"Colloidal silver and other colloidal minerals (from Dr. Ray Peat)
Metal ions are the form normally absorbed; the whole nonsense about colloidal metals is just a sales pitch. And toxic metals are toxic. Silver nitrate was popular for about 100 years, then mercurochrome, then merthiolate, and thimerosal. The organic compounds of some of these metals are the most toxic forms. All silver is very toxic, and the colloidal form wouldn't kill germs if it weren't very active chemically. It isn't as toxic as mercury, but few things are. It’s slightly less toxic than lead."

Does anyone know from where these quotes originated from ?
They aren't on Ray's website.

Pet Peeve

And also how would you get colloidal silver out of your body again? I took some some years ago :( Judging by papa smurf I'm not very optimistic.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

And also how would you get colloidal silver out of your body again? I took some some years ago :( Judging by papa smurf I'm not very optimistic.

If you worry about argyria, then if you havn't got it by now, you'll never will.

Pet Peeve

If you worry about argyria, then if you havn't got it by now, you'll never will.

I don't worry about argyria, but if silver is slightly less toxic than lead then that's catastrophic at any dose. I'll go slightly less mad than a hatter.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

I don't worry about argyria, but if silver is slightly less toxic than lead then that's catastrophic at any dose. I'll go slightly less mad than a hatter.

I wouldn't take that Peat quote at face value.
Argyria is notorious for being simply a cosmetic condition.

Robert O Becker managed to dedifferenciate normal fibroblasts into stem cells with silver ions.
I very much doubt he would have achieved it with led, arsenic or mercury ones.

michael94

And no one is born with a mercury spoon in their mouths ;)

If anything it'd probably be a good idea to have a kit laying around in case of viral outbreak emergency...

Papa smurf used tap water ( high in chlorine and god knows what else ) and added salt in order to speed up the process. He was drinking large amounts of this improperly made silver every day for years. Regardless, IIRC he said he didn't even regret taking it. Says it saved his life.

marteagal

All silver is very toxic, and the colloidal form wouldn't kill germs if it weren't very active chemically. It isn't as toxic as mercury, but few things are. It’s slightly less toxic than lead.

Here is the full Lita Lee quote referred to in the OP, just for completeness:
All silver is very toxic, and the colloidal form wouldn’t kill germs if it weren’t very active chemically. It isn’t as toxic as mercury, but few things are. It’s slightly less toxic than lead. I think silver would be about as bad as the organic antibiotics in the short term, and maybe worse if used chronically. Topically, it’s probably not as bad as mercurochrome; permanganate and copper sulfate might be just a little safer. How does silver kill bacteria? It works pretty much by the same mechanism that makes mercury a powerful antiseptic. Heavy metals are relatively indiscriminate oxidants (potent oxidizing agents). All heavy metals — lead, silver, mercury, nickel, cadmium — are very toxic, potent enzyme poisons and go into the brain, causing diseases like Alzheimer’s, ALS, MS, etc.

I couldn't locate the original Peat source, either. It's very similar to an interview Ray has allegedly given on succinate for heavy metal chelation. Everybody just refers to this interview which is presented on a non-Peat site, and nobody knows if the text is *real* (by Peat). And that's why I have still not tried succinate for de-toxification...

pretty sure he repeated it on the radio lol

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Papa smurf used tap water ( high in chlorine and god knows what else ) and added salt in order to speed up the process. He was drinking large amounts of this improperly made silver every day for years. Regardless, IIRC he said he didn't even regret taking it. Says it saved his life.

Yep.
http://www.sharinghealth.com/colloidal-silver-argyria.html
And apparently, he only developed argyria after applying for several weeks the colloidal silver to his face to treat severe skin peeling, although the wife says he's blue all over...

Austin Resch

I would have thought the group of folks to see the possible health value in drinking coca cola would be more open minded of the biochemistry of colloidal nano silver particles