Peatist Losers [Weight Loss]

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

Peatowski, yep, I'm a turp fan now, for sure! Thank you so much for the rec! :thumbsup: It's definitely easier to do than garlic, although I plan to do garlic occasionally for those benefits, too.

Do you think the brain fog is due to hypothyroidism? Or endotoxin? Or PUFA release? Or particular foods? Or all of the above?

Seems to be multi-factorial for me....so, all of the above in my situation.
Yes, I agree multi-factorial but IMO probably more to do with endotoxin. I think possibly VLF does something to exacerbate endotoxin so maybe the symptoms get blamed on PUFA release, but it's really mostly endotoxin. And something to do with cholesterol. Seems like fat increases circulating endotoxin through some mechanisms, probably several mechanisms. So maybe when the dietary fat is withdrawn, especially PUFA fat, the endotoxin stops circulating and just settles. Or, as Hyperlipid speculates in the last comment to this post here

Hyperlipid: Fats and absorbing endotoxin

when we cut the fat the endotoxin quits circulating and just goes straight to the liver. Make sense to me, since we can further speculate that this could cause some detox symptoms if the liver is already overloaded or compromised in some way. Read the post and all the comments...short, but very relevant to many of us here.

Another interesting article about fat and endotoxin here

A high-fat meal induces low-grade endotoxemia: evidence of a novel mechanism of postprandial inflammation

In this one they're specifically looking for a connection between inflammation provoked by endotoxin and CAD, but still relevant.

@KellyP also needs to look at this one

High Fat Intake Leads to Acute Postprandial Exposure to Circulating Endotoxin in Type 2 Diabetic Subjects | Diabetes Care

Really interesting for us hyperglycemic folks. Seems we have a nastier bacteria burden than normal peeps, which may be why diabetes can run in families (shared bacteria) and why fat, especially PUFA, causes such a spike in our blood sugar. I've heard that in the past but just now starting to begin to start connecting the dots. :lol: Could also explain why blood sugar goes down on VLF...the endotoxin gets put into the liver for excretion, so it's not circulating and causing the kind of inflammation necessary for super-high blood sugar.

I dunno. I'm starting to freewheel myself into realms I know NOTHING about, so will now shut my mouth before I remove all doubt about whether or not I'm stupid. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm feeling much better today. I've felt pretty crappy since last Thursday since I started turpentine but seems like maybe I've turned a corner. Hopefully. I'm thanking turpentine for the upswing. :) And charcoal. And humifulvate. And MCP. Anything that's mopping up endotoxin for me.

I've also been high-dosing thiamine (1000mg+ per day) and being consistent with T3 + a little whole thyroid at night. I don't plan to stay with high dose thiamine forever but suspect I've had a deficiency for a long while so will stick with it for some months or until it seems to give me problems.

Also been taking vitamin E and vitamin A. Haidut's Mitolipin product might be helping, too.

Incidentally, my blood sugar's gone down a bit without decreasing the fat content. I had quite a bit of fat last night for supper, and it was only in the 100's this morning. Normally after a fatty meal it's 10 clicks higher than it was this morning. That's not been the case the past couple mornings.

Reportedly thiamine can help with blood sugar if you're deficient.

So, anyway, I'm going to try to start up with VLF again tomorrow, see how that goes. Hopefully due to turp I have less endotoxin for the liver to process and can avoid some of the mood sides from VLF. We'll see.

@thebigpeatowski, I assume you've seen this link...?

TURPENTINE--HEALER COMPLETE

Crazy site, just an interesting read.

Yeppers...I've read every one of those articles you linked to. I also read about an experiment where drinking a glass of OJ stops the endotoxin-driven inflammation darn near immediately. Pretty cool.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but for me personally, my situation definitely called for extra help in taking down the microbial burden. I simply could not do it on my own. My own immune system wasn't able to handle to overgrowth and it was getting worse as time went by....my poor liver was seriously struggling. The carrot salad is great to help with estrogen symptoms (if I get them), but it wasn't anywhere near strong enough to deal with the ongoing mayhem from my intestines.

Raw Garlic is awesome in so many ways, Turp is easier and just as awesome, but in different ways.

We know that hypothyroidism can cause gut issues, but just today I read that having stored toxins like pesticides/herbicides/heavy metals stored in fat tissues can be a direct cause for having parasites/microbial imbalances.....in other words we sort of invite some of these nasty organisms and they thrive in our bodies because we are already sick.

I have NO idea if that's true or not, but the fatter I was the sicker I was that's for sure. Metabolites from these tiny beasts can throw off our neurotransmitters too....along with stealing our micro-nutrients. Fun times.

I know diatomaceous earth was mentioned up thread, I've never tried that....is it for detoxing like clay? Or for killing gut bugs? Or does it do BOTH killing and mopping up?

I read about something called zeolite too (from a Townsend Letter Doc, I think)....has anyone ever tried that? I think it's for detox, tho I'm not really sure. I don't know what it is actually.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

I read that having stored toxins like pesticides/herbicides/heavy metals stored in fat tissues can be a direct cause for having parasites/microbial imbalances.....in other words we sort of invite some of these nasty organisms and they thrive in our bodies because we are already sick.
Yep, and these organisms can drive us to crave things they need to survive. Like candida driving sugar cravings. Others make it hard for the toxins to leave because they create an environment that keeps them. Sure you've heard of biofilms...organisms that create biofilms often use iron as a substrate, for example. So they can keep us from eliminating iron and also keep us sick from their living in the biofilm. I don't recall everything I've read about it but that's the pith.

I know diatomaceous earth was mentioned up thread, I've never tried that....is it for detoxing like clay? Or for killing gut bugs? Or does it do BOTH killing and mopping up?
I think it might do both. Can't remember about mopping up but it definitely kills. DE is finely powdered shells of fossils (diatoms). To us it feels pretty soft but to small organisms with softer exoskeletons (like fleas and ticks) or to soft bodied microbes or parasites, it's like tiny little razors. When the organism passes through a bunch of DE, the DE leaves myriad tiny microcuts on the exoskeleton or membrane of the organism, so the organism dehyrdrates or dissolves, depending upon what it is. :twisted:

DE is actually on my list of stuff to try internally...I've had some food grade around for a couple years but never tried it. My understanding is that it's one of those things that you don't want to overdo, because too much can leave us with microcuts, too. I bought a big bag because I rub it into my carpet for flea control. I use lufenuron on my dogs which is the safest, gentlest flea control, but it doesn't kill fleas. It controls the flea population by causing the babies to be born with corrupted exoskeletons so they dehydrate and die upon hatching. A few months after starting lufenuron there are no fleas around because they can't live past hatching. But it doesn't keep fleas from getting on your animals from other places, and adult fleas can be picked up outside. The odd application of DE to carpet is a little bit of insurance. It's dusty but environmentally safe and it makes me feel better. Should wear a mask when putting it on carpet, although after it's settled it seems safe. I also shoot DE mixed with boric acid powder into my baseboards and in cabinets for roach and general bug control. Seems to work very, very well for that. Does the same thing to roaches and bugs as it does to fleas and parasites...leaves tiny microcuts in the exoskeleton that causes them to die. Again, environmentally safe and there doesn't seem to be a way the organism can develop inherited resistance, just like we can't pass resistance to being stabbed to our own offspring, no matter how much thick scar tissue we may accumulate.

Anyway, I think I'll move DE up on my list of experiments. I'm thinking of trying a variety of things now that I seem to have my bad critters on the run with turp, and since I've got DE sitting here already, why the hell not? When I try I'll report back what happens. Anyone else that tries, please do the same.

I read about something called zeolite too (from a Townsend Letter Doc, I think)....has anyone ever tried that? I think it's for detox, tho I'm not really sure. I don't know what it is actually.
Zeolite is a kind of clay. It constipates me like bentonite does. Might as well use a cork. :meh: For whatever that's worth. I think it's supposed to attact and bind toxins because of it's molecular structure, and maybe electrical charge has something to do with it, too. I can't remember now because it's been several years since I tried it. I think I still have some around somewhere...if I come across it I might try it again. Although maybe not. Some people like it but past experience tells me there's easier ways to cleanse. YMMV.

BTW, DE is supposed to be constipating in large doses, too.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks so much whoda.....You are a veritable fountain of information!!!!

Yeah, so constipation is definitely NOT gonna be good while trying to get rid of dead microbes. Activated charcoal can be constipating too if I'm not careful, that's precisely why I haven't taken it on a regular basis.....I suppose I could try a smaller dose. Strangely enough though, it would not stop me up AT ALL when I had the chronic diarrhea two years ago.

Wow whoda, you've experimented with lots of dirt eating (zeolite AND bentonite!)...I'll admit, I'm a bit intrigued with what peeps have said regarding the DE.

I love the Turp and have no reason to abandon it, but I'm just wondering out loud if it might be wise to rotate stuff on occasion??? I dunno, I'm not having any gut issues so I haven't taken any, but I'm always interested in keeping things clean and moving because it makes me feel my absolute best and my liver loves me when it doesn't have to work overtime.

Plus, I got me some skin break outs....it doesn't seem to be related to my cycle at all. It seems to be related to what I put in ma mouth (out eating junk and having too much fun over the weekend).

TRUE CONFESSION: My offense began on Friday night and accidentally continued on Saturday night....today my skin looks and feels icky. I should probably have taken a spoonful of charcoal when I got home Friday night (after two cheeseburgers and plenty of booze), but I didn't.

It looked fine on Saturday, but I had two White Russians (yes, made with goat milk) because unexpected guests arrived bringing fresh caught salmon and we had an impromptu BBQ. I haven't eaten salmon in AGES, but it would have been rude and socially awkward to not imbibe/partake....so I made some rice, asparagus and served smoked oysters too. Even yesterday my skin seemed okay, so I thought I was in the clear....

Today it seems as though all of my BS has caught up to me. The poor skin is coinciding with feeling sort of "off" today...like very mild depression....lack of energy. Just blah. I'll be taking some activated charcoal tonight even though the damage seems to already be done.

Do we have a pimply face emoji?

NOTE TO SELF: Drinking alcohol two days in a row along with junk food and more PUFA & STARCH might be too much...maybe. Know when to say when.

These Benders seem to come in two day spurts....the last time I did this (a month ago) was in celebration of two separate birthdays which occurred back to back. I took the charcoal back then because I ate bar & grill garbage and drank hard cider which has brewer's yeast so I knew I would need to mitigate the damage. I experienced no skin/mood issues whatsoever and NO brain malfunction which is practically a given when me and yeast get together. Activated Charcoal is my BFF!!!

So, why didn't I use it this time? Well, because I was drinking vodka which doesn't cause me problems....so maybe it was the wheat and rice and salmon? Who knows. Who cares.

Editing to add: I just remembered that I ate butter and ice cream on Saturday night too....it's the first time I've had cow dairy in many weeks. Hmmmm....now I'm wondering if that's the cause of my skin/mood issue....maybe it has nothing to do with rice/salmon/booze????

I really hate being such a Food Retard.....but I did have LOTS of fun.

Last edited:
OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

Well, because I was drinking vodka which doesn't cause me problems....so maybe it was the wheat and rice and salmon?
Well, you weren't just drinking vodka. ;) Kahlua is a Liver-Clogging Syrup of Hell if there ever was one.

But I would bet it had more to do with the heavy PUFA combo than anything.

I really hate being such a Food Retard.....but I did have LO'TS of fun.
That's the main thing. Can't let the health stuff derail life, otherwise what's the point? The price you're paying doesn't sound too prohibitive, and you just learned a lesson for the future, right?

I'm just wondering out loud if it might be wise to rotate stuff on occasion???
I'm rotating. I'm goin to try DE, garlic, and some other things. Key probably being not to overdo it. We need some of these bugs. But I am feeling remarkably better and I believe it's due in no small part to cleanup of endotoxin with via turp and charcoal.

Well, you weren't just drinking vodka. ;) Kahlua is a Liver-Clogging Syrup of Hell if there ever was one.

Yeah, I tried to look up the ingredients in Kahlua and apparently it's proprietary, so who knows exactly what the hell is in that scrumptious elixer....but I had the same thought as you whoda, it's prolly real BAD.

Next time I'm gonna simply use powdered instant decaf coffee and brown sugar and shake in a blender bottle before I add the vodka, at least that way I'll know what's in ma beverage.

But I am feeling remarkably better and I believe it's due in no small part to cleanup of endotoxin with via turp and charcoal.

Yeah, turp followed by charcoal is Practically Magic.

The price you're paying doesn't sound too prohibitive, and you just learned a lesson for the future, right?

Yeah, it's not too bad. Skin/mood/energy are much better today....most of the bumps completely receded and never came to a head. Thank goodness!

LESSONS LEARNED FOR THE FUTURE: Next goat milk White Russian will be made with organic brown sugar and powdered coffee, instead of Kahlua....AND I will take the effin' charcoal preemptivally, no waiting around for two days. Also, I'm really done with cow dairy. I think the cheese, butter and ice cream were definitely responsible for some portion of my setback. While I experienced some poor sleep at least I didn't experience the total brain meltdown.

Carry on.

SQu

Update: stress and family issues continue, so I'm still not eating low fat. But based on clothing fit I'm still gradually losing fat. Gym too got sidelined but I'm back to just once a week for now and as muscle increases, fat comes off. Pregnenolone has been great and brought on a cycle after couple of months without. I'm thinking the breakthrough I had with going low fat without stress by adding concentrated sugar ie preserved figs, shed a bit of fat and turned some kind of corner so that it's still working gradually without effort. Eg gym. Couldn't have worked till I was strong enough, now making visible difference. I'm also thinking that haidut is right when he says fix the liver and lower stress hormones to lower obesity. So thank you @haidut, caffeine and biotin!

haidut

Forum Supporter
Update: stress and family issues continue, so I'm still not eating low fat. But based on clothing fit I'm still gradually losing fat. Gym too got sidelined but I'm back to just once a week for now and as muscle increases, fat comes off. Pregnenolone has been great and brought on a cycle after couple of months without. I'm thinking the breakthrough I had with going low fat without stress by adding concentrated sugar ie preserved figs, shed a bit of fat and turned some kind of corner so that it's still working gradually without effort. Eg gym. Couldn't have worked till I was strong enough, now making visible difference. I'm also thinking that haidut is right when he says fix the liver and lower stress hormones to lower obesity. So thank you @haidut, caffeine and biotin!

Yay, always glad to hear about good results! Yes, starving and stress are NOT the right way to lose weight. It is by raising metabolism and lowering stress hormones. No professional athlete cuts calories to lose weight and this alone should tell you something.

KellyP

Quick update from me. I'm feeling over the moon. I just wrote an update on my log, so I won't repeat myself too much. I've wrapped up 6 weeks of LF protocol, 2 weeks of turpentine cleanse, followed by almost 3 weeks at the beach.

I lost 13 pounds before I left, with an average FBG of 135 (down from 180-185). During vacation, I ate whatever I wanted (within reason and not very much overeating): lots of ice cream, cheese, meat, PUFA (tortilla chips!), starches (rice and some beans and glorious pizza!) and I gained 3 pounds back. THAT'S IT. Before this I would have gained much much more. My FBG increased to 145 but held steady and should have never stayed so low given my previous numbers and all the starch, fat and PUFA. I am so excited.

Also glad to hear @SQu mention @haidut. Just before vacation we ordered his Energin, Estroban and Vitamin E. They are GREAT STUFF and I have used them every day since. I can tell such a difference with the Energin, and believe that my controlled estrogen (in the face of my vacation diet) was due in large part to the estroban. No crazy hot flashes, tense muscles, acne, wooziness, exhaustion or depression. Only had 1 week with some mild PMS symptoms (compared to my previous 3 weeks of moderate to severe). Thank you for such great products Haidut!

I'm starting round 2 of my LF protocol. It's a great time still, with so much sunlight, and school starting. I hope everyone is doing well!

haidut

Forum Supporter
Quick update from me. I'm feeling over the moon. I just wrote an update on my log, so I won't repeat myself too much. I've wrapped up 6 weeks of LF protocol, 2 weeks of turpentine cleanse, followed by almost 3 weeks at the beach.

I lost 13 pounds before I left, with an average FBG of 135 (down from 180-185). During vacation, I ate whatever I wanted (within reason and not very much overeating): lots of ice cream, cheese, meat, PUFA (tortilla chips!), starches (rice and some beans and glorious pizza!) and I gained 3 pounds back. THAT'S IT. Before this I would have gained much much more. My FBG increased to 145 but held steady and should have never stayed so low given my previous numbers and all the starch, fat and PUFA. I am so excited.

Also glad to hear @SQu mention @haidut. Just before vacation we ordered his Energin, Estroban and Vitamin E. They are GREAT STUFF and I have used them every day since. I can tell such a difference with the Energin, and believe that my controlled estrogen (in the face of my vacation diet) was due in large part to the estroban. No crazy hot flashes, tense muscles, acne, wooziness, exhaustion or depression. Only had 1 week with some mild PMS symptoms (compared to my previous 3 weeks of moderate to severe). Thank you for such great products Haidut!

I'm starting round 2 of my LF protocol. It's a great time still, with so much sunlight, and school starting. I hope everyone is doing well!

Awesome! Always glad to hear of progress. Any specific feedback on doses you used? Was it every day?

KellyP

Awesome! Always glad to hear of progress. Any specific feedback on doses you used? Was it every day?

I'd previously had a good response to Standard Process' Cataplex but didn't like that I couldn't get the right ratio of B vitamins (which is why I switched to your product). My nutritionist at the time recommended splitting the dose between morning and lunch (but not after that). So that's what I do with Energin: 20 drops in the morning with OJ and 20 drops around lunch with OJ. On stressful days I have taken another 20 drops around 4-5 pm and it's really helped to mitigate stress hormones. I take it everyday. I initially thought that maybe I wouldn't need the full dose, but 2 doses of 10 drops each just wasn't enough, so I upped it to a full dose and that's my sweet spot for most days.

I get a steady dose of energy from it: physical and mental. It doesn't make me jittery whatsoever, but keeps me from dragging. I can think more clearly, and am not utterly exhausted. After taking it every day for 2 weeks I noticed I missed a day and wasn't a mess (usually I will have foggy, slow thinking and no physical energy), so maybe I will be able to lower the dose at some point. Have others been able to do that?

So glad that you make these products!

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

@KellyP, so glad to hear this! Been wondering about you. Everything, but esp. about your blood sugar. Congrats! :)

I'm doing a bunch of crap right now but not ready to update yet. But I think I'm onto something. :cool

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

With DMSO?
Ha! I'm taking enough haidut stuff to say I'm doing turpentine + DMSO, for sure. Not coming out my pores yet, though. At least not that I'm aware. :nailbiting: Although sometimes my poop is a bit reminiscent of a pine forest in the early morn. :p No need to thank me for TMI.

But based on clothing fit I'm still gradually losing fat.
I thought I replied to this but see I didn't. This is good news, SQu! Still holding? :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

tomisonbottom

@whodathunkit @thebigpeatowski

Tracking only calories in an effort to lose or inhibit excess fat is a losing battle. Using food alone to attain a high metabolism is also a losing battle.

I'd suggest:
  • do a round of antibiotics, use minocycline for 2 weeks then penicillin VK for 3-4 days.
  • Have iron levels checked, if high then donate blood
While doing this, I wouldn't gorge on sugar. I'd increase saturated fat through cheese, coconut oil and butter, and drop sugar calories to 20-30% of total caloric intake. This will allow you stop the stress reaction, displace PUFA, "heal" your metabolism and stop excess fat accumulation all the while maintaining a small caloric deficit without an increase in appetite. I'd do this until you're able to oxidise sugar at a high rate which largely involves PUFA depletion, clean gut and low HPA access/stress hormone activity.

Coincidently, this is a similar diet to the one that Dr. Broda Barnes used to treat his hypothyroid patients, with or without thyroid.

Have you tried this method?