Peatish Eyedrops

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

apparently the alternatively used castor-oil as eye drops are proven to be effective in dry-eye conditions, alongside glycerine and carboxymethylcellulose. Castor il is mostly MUFA though.

Effect of tear supplements on signs, symptoms and inflammatory markers in dry eye. - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of tear supplements on signs, symptoms and inflammatory markers in dry eye.

PURPOSE:
Three tear supplements were compared for their effects on the signs, symptoms and inflammatory status of subjects with dry eye disease. Assessments were made before and after both 2 and 4 weeks of treatment.

METHODS:
In this masked, randomized, 3-way crossover trial, eighteen dry eye subjects were recruited. At each visit, symptoms, tear evaporation rate, stability and osmolarity were measured and tear samples were analyzed for 7 inflammatory markers, using multiplex immunoassays. The 3 treatments included carboxymethylcellulose-glycerine-castor oil (CGC), carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) and hydroxypropyl guar (HPG). The CGC and HPG drops are emulsified lipids; CGC also contains osmoprotectants. The CMC drop is a standard aqueous polymeric supplement.

RESULTS:
Significant improvements were seen in symptoms (OSDI) and tear stability (NITBUT) with all 3 treatments at 4 weeks. At 4 weeks post-CGC, 6 out of 7 biomarkers demonstrated a >25% reduction (in 40% of subjects). The same reduction (>25%) was seen in 10% of the subjects for CMC and in none of the subjects for HPG. No significantly different change to either evaporation rate or tear osmolarity was found following any of the three treatments.

CONCLUSIONS:
In this study, the CGC treatment resulted in the greatest reduction in ocular biomarkers of inflammation, while all 3 treatments reduced symptoms and improved tear stability. These results indicate that subject-perceived symptomatic improvements are not necessarily associated with a reduction in objective measures of inflammation.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

God overview of existing products and advantages of liposoaml and emulsion-based eyedrops. It seems simple glycerol is useful in eyedrops and emulsions are simply made with emulgators like polysorbat. Maybe I'll try homemade eyedrop-emulsion with mct, vit e, q10 and hyaluronic acid.

Relevance of Lipid-Based Products in the Management of Dry Eye Disease

Relevance of Lipid-Based Products in the Management of Dry Eye Disease

Abstract
Components of the ocular surface synergistically contribute to maintaining and protecting a smooth refractive layer to facilitate the optimal transmission of light. At the air–water interface, the tear film lipid layer (TFLL), a mixture of lipids and proteins, plays a key role in tear surface tension and is important for the physiological hydration of the ocular surface and for ocular homeostasis. Alterations in tear fluid rheology, differences in lipid composition, or downregulation of specific tear proteins are found in most types of ocular surface disease, including dry eye disease (DED). Artificial tears have long been a first line of treatment in DED and aim to replace or supplement tears. More recently, lipid-containing eye drops have been developed to more closely mimic the combination of aqueous and lipid layers of the TFLL. Over the last 2 decades, our understanding of the nature and importance of lipids in the tear film in health and disease has increased substantially. The aim of this article is to provide a brief overview of our current understanding of tear film properties and review the effectiveness of lipid-based products in the treatment of DED. Liposome lid sprays, emulsion eye drops, and other lipid-containing formulations are discu

Mary Lyn

It is untrue that honey based eye drops are safe as I found on a dry eye forum, where members were getting infected eyes. And buying Manuka did not solve it as many brands are not actually it. We used to be warned not to give babies under a year honey due to contamination.

I had corneal erosions for some years and this product was the best I found by far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B1PRSXA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ingredients:
Hyaluronic Acid (1Mg/Ml ), Euphrasia Officinalis (Eyebright), Sodium Choloride, Boric Acid, Disodium Tetraborate Decahydrate, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid And Water.

I also used a silk eye mask. Fortunately, improved nutrition seems to have solved it for me. It was agony.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

Yes, honey can be too contaminated for eyes, and some polyphenols in it are probably not to beneficial either.

The refresh brand products are without preservatives and feature a good blend of salts

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

Dietary Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) and Cornea Cross-Linking - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Brief Summary:
Corneal ectasia is characterized by irregularity and thinning of the cornea, causing the cornea to bulge forward and cause distorted vision and impaired visual acuity. Corneal ectasia is a complication after refractive (LASIK) surgery. It is also the primary problem in keratoconus, a gradually progressive inherited condition that typically is manifested in young adulthood, more commonly in women. Treatment approaches to stabilize the cornea's shape include rigid contact lenses, surgical implantation of stiff plastic intrastromal corneal ring segments, a collagen cross-linking procedure and, in severe cases, cornea transplantation. The collagen cross-linking procedure involves topical application of a concentrated riboflavin (vitamin B2) solution after the corneal epithelium is scraped, followed by ultraviolet (UV) light exposure. UV light stimulates riboflavin to form new bonds (cross links) between the cornea's connective tissue, giving the cornea additional strength to maintain its shape and prevent the need for transplantation. The cost of one treatment using this system is $2,500 to $3,500. A small prospective study including 7 patients with keratoconus was started on a trial of oral riboflavin and 15 minutes of natural sunlight exposure daily. These patients reported no adverse effects and preliminary results showed corneal stabilization and/or corneal flattening in all 7 patients It is hypothesized that dietary riboflavin and natural sunlight is as effective in corneal crosslinking as the currently FDA approved Avedro therapy. If the clinical study confirms the investigators' early observations of the benefits of this approach, coupled with animal studies that document corneal cross-linking, the investigators will have data to pursue funding for larger clinical and animal studies. This has the potential to save millions of dollars in health care costs and ease the burden of treatment in patients who require therapy to induce corneal cross-linking to stabilize the cornea's shape.

Condition or disease Intervention/treatment Phase
Keratoconus Cornea Ectasia Dietary Supplement: Dietary riboflavin Not Applicable

Detailed Description:
Corneal ectasia as a complication from refractive (LASIK) surgery as well as keratoconus is a slowly progressive condition that results in high patient morbidity. Treatment options aim to stabilize the shape of the cornea using rigid contact lenses, surgical insertion of stiff plastic intrastromal rings, corneal cross linking, and ultimately corneal transplant in severe patients. The recently FDA approved "Dresden Protocol" involves painful cornea scraping followed by application of concentrated Riboflavin, followed by immediate collagen cross linking with UV light exposure which results in shortening and thickening of the collagen fibrils, and therefore a stronger, stiffer cornea. Avedro has demonstrated an average cornea flattening (K max reduction) of 1.4 diopters and 1.7diopters in two different studies. The current cost of Avedro therapy is between $2500 -$3500 per treatment. This is considered experimental at this time and therefore is not covered by any insurance.To spare the patient the severe pain involved in the current procedure, and to avoid the high cost (Avedro is not covered by any medical insurance), the investigator started 7 patients with keratoconus from 2011-2015 in his private practice in Seattle on a trial of oral riboflavin (100 mg or 400 mg daily) and 15 minutes of sunlight exposure daily. No adverse effects have ever been reported with high-dose dietary riboflavin supplements. The results of this preliminary trial are remarkable. During follow-up from 6 months to 5 years, all 7 patients have had corneal stabilization and/or corneal flattening. One patient experienced flattening of the cornea by 1.5 Diopters, comparable to the best results of the Avedro system. A limited animal study is currently underway to document that corneal cross-linking occurs in response to dietary riboflavin and UV exposure from the sun. This clinical study would expand the promising preliminary findings to a larger sample size. This has the potential to save millions of dollars in health care costs and ease the burden of treatment in patients who require therapy to induce corneal cross-linking to stabilize the cornea's shape.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

I've posted some promising studes on Q10 effects on corneal health here. There is one dutch enterprise that recently began selling q10-containing eye-drops OTC, VISUFArm.

Their Q10-drops contan 100mg Q10 in 100ml of soluton, so a mere 0,1%.
To make q10 soluble in water they seem to have used D-alpha-Tocopheryl Polyethylenglycol 1000 Succinat ... a Vitamin-E based substance that acts as an emulgator.

https://www.visufarma.com/product/

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

Interesting new paper that sees metabolic misfunction as a root-cause in a coomon age-related eye-diseaese. Very comprhensively explained pathomechanisms with metabolism upstream of immunity

Is Retinal Metabolic Dysfunction at the Center of the Pathogenesis of Age-related Macular Degeneration? - PubMed - NCBI

Is Retinal Metabolic Dysfunction at the Center of the Pathogenesis of Age-related Macular Degeneration?

Abstract
The retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) forms the outer blood⁻retina barrier and facilitates the transepithelial transport of glucose into the outer retina via GLUT1. Glucose is metabolized in photoreceptors via the tricarboxylic acid cycle (TCA) and oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) but also by aerobic glycolysis to generate glycerol for the synthesis of phospholipids for the renewal of their outer segments. Aerobic glycolysis in the photoreceptors also leads to a high rate of production of lactate which is transported out of the subretinal space to the choroidal circulation by the RPE. Lactate taken up by the RPE is converted to pyruvate and metabolized via OXPHOS. Excess lactate in the RPE is transported across the basolateral membrane to the choroid. The uptake of glucose by cone photoreceptor cells is enhanced by rod-derived cone viability factor (RdCVF) secreted by rods and by insulin signaling. Together, the three cells act as symbiotes: the RPE supplies the glucose from the choroidal circulation to the photoreceptors, the rods help the cones, and both produce lactate to feed the RPE. In age-related macular degeneration this delicate ménage à trois is disturbed by the chronic infiltration of inflammatory macrophages. These immune cells also rely on aerobic glycolysis and compete for glucose and produce lactate. We here review the glucose metabolism in the homeostasis of the outer retina and in macrophages and hypothesize what happens when the metabolism of photoreceptors and the RPE is disturbed by chronic inflammation.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

No. I came to the conclusion that glycerine/glycerol is not a recommendable active for cornea and eye-care.

My newest eccentric idea revolves around hydrosols now, of plants which‘ essential oils are high in sesquiterpenes that are proven to be anti-inflammatory and beneficial for connective tissue.
Frankincense, Patchouli and so forth.
Hydrosols have tiny bits of EO remnants diluted in them along with other compounds, I think those diluted even further into saline or exedrops would make for well tolerated eye-care / cornea care drops

Waynish

No. I came to the conclusion that glycerine/glycerol is not a recommendable active for cornea and eye-care.

My newest eccentric idea revolves around hydrosols now, of plants which‘ essential oils are high in sesquiterpenes that are proven to be anti-inflammatory and beneficial for connective tissue.
Frankincense, Patchouli and so forth.
Hydrosols have tiny bits of EO remnants diluted in them along with other compounds, I think those diluted even further into saline or exedrops would make for well tolerated eye-care / cornea care drops

Real tears are mostly salt and water, right? I suppose the other nutrients you could eat - unless you were trying to regenerate the eye (instead of just having general purpose eye drops on hand). I was just looking for something acceptable in a nice dropper bottle.

cyclops

For someone who wears reusable 30-day contact lenses is there a contact solution on the market that you would consider somewhat better then others? Same for eye drops, is there a brand that is less bad then others? I cant really stop wearing contacts right now, but I'd like to use the least harmful solution and eyedrops if possible. Maybe there is even something you can just make at home thats better, but that hasn't seem to be determined yet in this thread. Thanks.

cyclops

Read the very first post for DIY

Yea, I had seen that, and may wind up using it, but wanted to see if there was something over the counter that was decent. Also, I have more of a need for contact solution then actual eye drops as I use the solution much more frequently. Anybody use contacts here and ever think about this? I guess it only concerns people who wear monthly contacts instead of daily. Never gave it too much thought, but this post made me think maybe im putting garbage in my eyes, and if there is a better product on the market, that would be an easy switch.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

Crossposting from the other Thread:

Some of the ingredients are inspired, some are questionable.

There are also eyedrops available with Taurine as an active which I think is a all around beneficial substance for the cornea. Could be easily done DIY too.

Very cool. Riboflavin (B2), lysine, and others. Local benefits based on metabolic principles. Probably systemic as well since it's presumably getting into the brain.

"per 100 ml of solution:
  • Riboflavin phosphate (vitamin B2) 0.05 g;
  • L-proline 0.0752 g;
  • L-glycine 0.1 g;
  • L-lysine hydrochloride 0.0140 g;
  • L-leucine 0.0108 g;
  • disodium EDTA 0.1 g;
  • hyaluronic acid sodium salt 0.15 g;
  • sodium chloride 0.43 g;
  • sodium dihydrogen phosphate, dihydrate 0.225 g;
  • dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate 0.685 g;
  • N-hydroxymethyl glycinate 0.002 g;
  • purified water. Isotonic solution pH 7.2."
"...lysine and leucine are fundamental for the structural stability of collagen in various human connective tissues and especially in the stroma."

"L-glycine is a central inhibitory neurotransmitter that improves metabolic processes. Has a positive effect on muscular dystrophies."

Most of this makes sense, except for the "antimetabolic effect":

"Indications for use:
  • Degenerative changes in the cornea: keratoconus, keratoglobus, etc. (stabilization of the tear film, antioxidant effect, anti-edema effect, immunocorrective effect, neurotransmitter effect). Corneal dystrophic changes (stabilization of the tear film, antioxidant effect, anti-edema effect, hypoglycemic effect).
    Hypolacrimia (stabilization of the tear film, immunocorrective action).
  • Before and after keratorefractive surgeries: photorefractive keratotomy, LASIK, etc. (antioxidant effect, neurotransmitter effect, immunocorrective effect, hypoglycemic effect, anti-edema effect).
  • Manipulations, diagnostic and surgical interventions in the anterior segment of the eye: crosslinking, phacoemulsification, keratoplasty, etc. (stabilization of the tear film, antioxidant effect, neurotransmitter effect, antimetabolic effect, decongestant effect, antibacterial effect). Eye trauma (antibacterial effect, stabilization of the tear film, antioxidant effect, neurotransmitter effect, decongestant).
  • Refractive errors: hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism (stabilization of the tear film, antioxidant effect, neurotransmitter effect). Prolonged use of contact lenses (stabilization of the tear film, antioxidant effect, anti-edema effect, immunocorrective effect, neurotransmitter effect)."

And here is another one with methylene blue, available otc in Europe. Allegedly formulated in 1920:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom