Peating Causing Anxiety

Constatine

For what its worth milk gives me anxiety though I do fine with most cheeses. Drinking 2-3 gallons of milk a day is also a lot of estrogen depending on the milk source and quality.

HealingBoy

Pregnenolone and caffeine are an ABSOLUTE NO for me. Double GABA antagonism is definitely not a nice thing, between wanting to kill myself to being not cool with people.
And nothing helps, not taurine, not niacinamide, not aspirin.

Constatine

Pregnenolone and caffeine are an ABSOLUTE NO for me. Double GABA antagonism is definitely not a nice thing, between wanting to kill myself to being not cool with people.
And nothing helps, not taurine, not niacinamide, not aspirin.
Yeah pregnenolone is probably the worst supplement I've ever tried in terms of side effects. It acutely gave me a ridiculous panic attack as well as head pain.

OP
E

erho

Yeah pregnenolone is probably the worst supplement I've ever tried in terms of side effects. It acutely gave me a ridiculous panic attack as well as head pain.
I’m happy I never tried it then, I considered it for a while.

I believe GABA is important for anxiety (especially OCD), but most likely its the balance of adrenaline, glutamate and GABA.

Regarding what you said about milk. I’m considering taking whole milk instead of very skimmed, do you think it could be any different? Have you tried?

Constatine

I’m happy I never tried it then, I considered it for a while.

I believe GABA is important for anxiety (especially OCD), but most likely its the balance of adrenaline, glutamate and GABA.

Regarding what you said about milk. I’m considering taking whole milk instead of very skimmed, do you think it could be any different? Have you tried?
I always did prefer whole milk instead of skimmed, though I don't drink milk at all currently. On another thread just now people are talking about how heating the milk and not drinking it cold helps them digest it. Its definitely worked for me in the past too so I would give that a try as well.

X3CyO

Truly appreciate your response, I have read plenty of your posts previously.

I was on theanine for half a year, and noticed some benefit but I’d rather be off it.
Currently only drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day, and I’m ok on that. My protein is around 120-150g/day. I’m doing a modified croissant diet where I still keep carbs decently high, I find it has helped my health somewhat. But in general my diet the last three years has been high dairy, orange juice, coffee with milk and sugar, and one meal a day of white starch and occasionally meat.

Supplements I’ve been taking are: K2 10mg, Niacinamide 250mg, Aspirin 500mg, Biotin 5mg, Thiamin hcl 100mg, Magnesium glycinate 300mg, Taurine 1gram, Collagen 20grams, Vitamin D 4000 IU, Vitamin A 10, 000 IU.

I’m taking collagen for that possible increase in DHT and neurosteroids. My source isnt great, and perhaps it is increasing endotoxin. I am currently taking L. Reuteri as probiotic, as I do believe my microbiome isnt great, and have seen improvements on the probiotics.

What's your height, weight, and other macros?

When I first started peating, for quite some time I dealt with a decent amount of anxiety too. I ate too much sugar and gelatin, took too much supplements, and drank too much coffee trying to push fat consumption as low as possible; avoiding pufa at all cost cause that was what I thought was ideal. I overthought a lot of it trying to optimize everything and abused a lot of things thinking I was getting better and adapting, but in hindsight, I was literally driving myself different varying kinds of insane and developed strong social anxiety (Although at one point I focused only on drinking tons of coffee and it was the opposite for a short time.) I'm happy to say I've only upset, embarrassed, and disappointed enough people to count on two hands in the process though!

anywho.

When I was down in any type of way, I'd use the corresponding supplements to "cure" each problem and got a rush thinking I was fixing problems when I knew logically from what peat and others on the forum teach, I wasn't. I was just making myself sick sadly.

I don't know what it is that drove me to overdo all these things. I like to think it helped me reinforce, tune in, and understand what each individual piece of this hormonal cascade does.

Consider the hierarchy of needs of your biology. Consider the order and priority of them. You cannot fix a waterfall that won't fall by unclogging from the bottom of it. The Core Philosophy of peating revolves around this cycle and flow. Taking supplements and drugs alters this flow heavily and in complicated ways a lot of the time leading to one excess; leading to a deficiency elsewhere. Focus on the quality and overall nutrition of food, and disregard scrutinizing micro-macro. Learning to listen to oneself instead of plugging into a place where others can guide your life for you is painfully hard at first as someone who has dealt with a type of learned helplessness for at least 15 years from a young age, and had been aware of it but continued to let it run my life for the last 8 years without any fighting against the tide.

Focusing on the absolute bare basics and working to the absolute mechanics has taken me away from this forum into the real world not as just an outside passive observer but finally as an active inside participator.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1f8.jpg

One question I thought about constantly during the journey is whether one line of nutrition is really the ultimate... but at the expense of what? Can you really have it all? The Longevity, Genetics, the Health, the Rippedness, the Strength, the Mood, the Intelligence, Ability to acquire skill, the Morality, the Intuition, and Compassion from one diet? I'd hoped that for a long time but have come to the conclusion and am content with that fact that I do have to pick pieces in the end, and it is nuanced from food personally, with the variations dictating differences from knowledge acquired over time.

Would you rather live longer, but be constantly angry, arrogant, and recluse? or live quicker, happier, and take bigger risks which could end horribly? not saying you'd have to, but its a possibility based on the answers you obtain that you have to be content with.

that's my novel; I hope it provides some perspective and support if you decide to read it.

threw two favorite quotes in photos

Attachments

• Perfection.jpg
    Perfection.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 2.02.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 2.02.39 PM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 98

gaze

When I first started peating, for quite some time I dealt with a decent amount of anxiety too. I ate too much sugar and gelatin, took too much supplements, and drank too much coffee trying to push fat consumption as low as possible; avoiding pufa at all cost cause that was what I thought was ideal. I overthought a lot of it trying to optimize everything and abused a lot of things thinking I was getting better and adapting, but in hindsight, I was literally driving myself different varying kinds of insane and developed strong social anxiety (Although at one point I focused only on drinking tons of coffee and it was the opposite for a short time.) I'm happy to say I've only upset, embarrassed, and disappointed enough people to count on two hands in the process though!

anywho.

When I was down in any type of way, I'd use the corresponding supplements to "cure" each problem and got a rush thinking I was fixing problems when I knew logically from what peat and others on the forum teach, I wasn't. I was just making myself sick sadly.

I don't know what it is that drove me to overdo all these things. I like to think it helped me reinforce, tune in, and understand what each individual piece of this hormonal cascade does.

Consider the hierarchy of needs of your biology. Consider the order and priority of them. You cannot fix a waterfall that won't fall by unclogging from the bottom of it. The Core Philosophy of peating revolves around this cycle and flow. Taking supplements and drugs alters this flow heavily and in complicated ways a lot of the time leading to one excess; leading to a deficiency elsewhere. Focus on the quality and overall nutrition of food, and disregard scrutinizing micro-macro. Learning to listen to oneself instead of plugging into a place where others can guide your life for you is painfully hard at first as someone who has dealt with a type of learned helplessness for at least 15 years from a young age, and had been aware of it but continued to let it run my life for the last 8 years without any fighting against the tide.

Focusing on the absolute bare basics and working to the absolute mechanics has taken me away from this forum into the real world not as just an outside passive observer but finally as an active inside participator.

View attachment 16465

One question I thought about constantly during the journey is whether one line of nutrition is really the ultimate... but at the expense of what? Can you really have it all? The Longevity, Genetics, the Health, the Rippedness, the Strength, the Mood, the Intelligence, Ability to acquire skill, the Morality, the Intuition, and Compassion from one diet? I'd hoped that for a long time but have come to the conclusion and am content with that fact that I do have to pick pieces in the end, and it is nuanced from food personally, with the variations dictating differences from knowledge acquired over time.

Would you rather live longer, but be constantly angry, arrogant, and recluse? or live quicker, happier, and take bigger risks which could end horribly? not saying you'd have to, but its a possibility based on the answers you obtain that you have to be content with.

that's my novel; I hope it provides some perspective and support if you decide to read it.

quality post. Thanks for sharing,

Constatine

anywho.

View attachment 16465

Well said. Sense and careful observation is a key to good health. A commonality of various health groups and diets is that they have a theme and emphasize this theme over experience and good sense. The theme is often very simple so that it can be easily communicated and understood, after all complex ideas do not spread. Such themes are thought of as a "trick" to good health or a sort of hacking of the human body. Now I think many ideas and diets on this forum are generally good but we do lack common sense at times. If one is mildly ill instead of starting ten different supplements or beginning an extreme diet find a healthy vibrant person and eat what they eat. Or if one is eating for longevity then eat like someone from a long lived country (Japanese for an example). We have a tendency to ignore the obvious in favor of complexity.

Runenight201

2-3 gallons of milk a day is excessive and isn’t helping weight or estrogen.

I’d lower milk intake and incorporate more soups and vegetables.

Jasjeet

I had an awful time when I first started incorporating Peatism in my diet. Because I read that coffee was 'good', I used it as an to excuse drink 3 cups a day, albeit with more sugar and milk (I'd only ever have about one a day). After two months I was a wreck, even had pms that was like pmdd. So I made myself depressed and fat. Now I have no coffee whatsoever and feel fine...though still need to lose that extra weight. In short, people need to be careful with caffeine.

DrJ

I supplement 300mg of Magnesium glycinate daily, so I don’t believe thats off.
For me, that would be quite low. Especially if I'm losing a lot due to stress, or consuming lots of calcium. But don't take it all at once if you decide to up the amount.

OP
E

erho

My mistake, or course I dont drink three gallons, I drink three quarts. Here I come trying to implement imperial measurements and mess up, what a metric fool I am. I drink 3 litres of milk daily.

OP
E

erho

anywho.

View attachment 16465

anywho.

View attachment 16465

Thanks for the thorough response, great post.

I think I’ve gone through a similar process. Going from thinking you’ve found the perfect best diet for everything, not realising you’re constantly struggling changing up supplements, believing you’re just soon going to find the perfect combination of supplements in the right amount, and then you will achieve all the things you mentioned.

I think I frankly have deluded myself believing that the source of all health is just around the corner, like I just need a little more time and then I’m PUFA-depleted, or just a little less dietary fat intake etc. Meanwhile I’ve moved away from my good habits I had pre-Peat. Working out I started viewing as stress, I started doing only 30 min light workouts instead of just normal workouts. I restricted myself with everything from alcohol to olive oil.
Eventually I think I moved far away from my personality, believing I was in this incubation period soon to achieve insanely high levels of health.

Eating more like the croissant diet lately I’ve felt more relaxed, like I’m eating like I want to for my lifestyle and personality. I dont feel as much a slave to my blood sugar. I have actually felt better, like I’m not contradicting myself, less of a hypocrite.
I think I had some serious issues finding identity at the time I started peating, and it became a bigger part of my identity than was useful, causing me to diverge too much from who I had been.

Mentally I think I believed Peating could bring on a permanent sense of bliss, cause that’s what people said happens when you’re free of serotonin, cortisol, adrenalin etc.. I didnt acknowledge emotions, I told people I was always fine and didnt like people complaining. Obviously this made my OCD and anxiety worse eventually, cause I tried putting my negative thoughts away in compulsions. I stopped exposing myself to sadness and negativity, digging myself deeper in the illusion of the metabolic promised land, free of all issues. Most likely one can get far on the journey there, but if you want to live, then getting there is no use.

I forgot about this, which had given me power in the past, which is one of my favourite quotes (do not take it literally, of course):

”Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.”
- Marcel Proust

Last edited:

Lollipop2

Powerful quote @erho, thanks for sharing!

”Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.”
- Marcel Proust

Gone Peating

The only rules you should follow are to minimize pufa as much as you can and to avoid iron enriched foods. Then eat whatever foods you want following these parameters

Constatine

Mentally I think I believed Peating could bring on a permanent sense of bliss, cause that’s what people said happens when you’re free of serotonin, cortisol, adrenalin etc.. I didnt acknowledge emotions, I told people I was always fine and didnt like people complaining. Obviously this made my OCD and anxiety worse eventually, cause I tried putting my negative thoughts away in compulsions. I stopped exposing myself to sadness and negativity, digging myself deeper in the illusion of the metabolic promised land, free of all issues. Most likely one can get far on the journey there, but if you want to live, then getting there is no use.
Well I did achieve a permanent sense of bliss for about a year before I developed SIBO (due to a brown recluse bite followed by heavy antibiotics). Its actually made my journey more difficult because I now know how good life can be. Emotional intelligence is indeed incredibly important but I am a firm believer that health is the filter by which we perceive the world. If one has anxiety or depression induced by neuroinflammation then every experience (or even past experiences) they have will be interpreted through a lens of anxiety and depression. A happy person and a depressed person can never view a situation similarly. Emotions both past and present are not isolated from our current health state but completely dependent upon it. Emotions are not something that should be ignored however. Even negative emotions can often lead to positive outcomes as they suggest a suboptimal circumstance that can be improved upon. Great health does not free us from issues, though it does provide a pleasant filter when interpreting said issues.

So I’ve been Peating for around 4 years now. And even though my health markers have improved and I feel generally healthy, I am struggling with much worse anxiety since Peating and have gained weight (40lbs).

So I have naturally been trying to understand why and how this would be the case. I’ve done most of the things in the Peat-rule book, aswell as tried plenty experimental recommendations in the forum for both health and mental health, but still my anxiety is almost at it’s peak, and my OCD is making life both very difficult and bleak.

I’ve been pondering lately, feeling at a dead end, whether to try something different from Peating, to see if I would be helped back to my low levels of anxiety I was at before I started Peating.

My current thinking is perhaps the lack of lypolisis, very dampened cortisol and adrenaline, high sugar, and so on worsens my OCD. What if my issue is the regulation of cortisol and adrenaline, and the Peat diet is messing with that balance from taking aspirin, niacinamide and high caffeine?

I’ve seen other people not getting relief from anxiety and OCD here on the forum, perhaps this lifestyle gets some things wrong when it gets to mental health?

I’ve been doing buteyko breathing, and it seems to give me relief to some extent.
But I’ve been considering going for a higher fat diet, to see if it gives me relief.

These are just my ideas (of desperation), what do you all think?
If you think it wholly stupid, could you with little bias convince me to stick to the Peat-path?
I think increasing the amount of fat in your diet( from safe sources, of course, such as tallow, butter, cocoa butter, etc.) will help with the OCD and the anxiety as well. It seems that, after I increased the amount of fat in my diet, I hardly get anxious anymore, and OCD is much reduced too. And I think that my ability to think became more fluid as well. Since you said you gained weight, I think it's a good idea to see by how much you want to increase your fat intake, as well as how it will fit into your daily calories. Just adding fat on top of the diet may cause weight gain.

youngsinatra

I’ve been struggling with severe anxiety for a long time and tried many elimination phases to find the problem and many supplements like Mg, ashwaghanda..

One day I thought about trying a low-histamine diet and...
my symptoms reduced a ton after 2 weeks and were almost almost zero after a month. I feel so calm and peaceful now, but when I experiment with higher histamine foods like oranges (especially OJ is worst for me) or chocolate, avocado, nuts my symptoms come back quite immediately. (I tried this so many times!)

Before I adjusted my diet to lower histamines I had palpitations all day, breathlessness and vertigo and thought this was all psychological. I was even close to getting into a mental hospital due to my anxiety that prevented me to go to school for a while.

It may not be the case for you but histamine intolerance may be worth researching for your issue.

Best wishes!

L

LauriePartridge

I’ve been struggling with severe anxiety for a long time and tried many elimination phases to find the problem and many supplements like Mg, ashwaghanda..

One day I thought about trying a low-histamine diet and...
my symptoms reduced a ton after 2 weeks and were almost almost zero after a month. I feel so calm and peaceful now, but when I experiment with higher histamine foods like oranges (especially OJ is worst for me) or chocolate, avocado, nuts my symptoms come back quite immediately. (I tried this so many times!)

Before I adjusted my diet to lower histamines I had palpitations all day, breathlessness and vertigo and thought this was all psychological. I was even close to getting into a mental hospital due to my anxiety that prevented me to go to school for a while.

It may not be the case for you but histamine intolerance may be worth researching for your issue.

Best wishes!
I agree! I think there is a strong connection between histamine and anxiety. Have also read research about histamine increasing aldosterone and decreasing potassium which can all affect anxiety in a big way.

H1 action of histamine on aldosterone and cortisol secretion by perfused dog adrenal. - PubMed - NCBI
THE EFFECTS OF HISTAMINE ON THE PLASMA POTASSIUM LEVELS OF CATS

Interesting that potassium levels are reported to adjust after histamine increase which would probably lend itself to the cause of episodic anxiety or panic attacks.

I find myself reacting in the same way. When I have too much histamine, I will get a surge of aldosterone and a plummet of potassium which will adjust usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LauriePartridge

Also, I suspect iodine can affect anxiety if out of balance. There is a significant amount in dairy, especially in winter and depending on cows' diets/farming practices. 100 percent grassfed cows will not get supplemental feed with added iodine but cows on typical diet will and those cows will get more iodine in winter months as they spend more time indoors eating feed rather than grazing outside. So at minimum you could get 56 to 100s (even in the 500s as reported below) of micrograms of iodine in one cup of milk.

Iodine in dairy milk: Sources, concentrations and importance to human health. - PubMed - NCBI

Iodine is tricky and very individual. If too much or too little it can definitely affect metabolism in a bad way.

I guess you would have to experiment and try making adjustments in your diet to see how it affects you.

Also iodine is reported to be one of the biggest histamine triggers so it could be a double whammy if not a tolerable amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals