Peating And APOE 4/3

baccheion

How does possession of the APOE 4/3 variant affect Peating? Would I have to avoid saturated fat as typically recommended or is there a way around this issue? What about issues around glycation and LDL oxidation due to fructose? Are there solutions to these issues that make it possible to consume higher amounts of fruit without causing fat malabsorption issues?

I am also likely lactose intolerant. On the other hand, it's been said raw milk isn't subject to such an issue. Even then, raw milk would contains a high amount of saturated fats. Would skim milk + lactase supplementation be sufficient?

Skim milk + orange juice + pineapple juice + salt + gelatin. And olive oil for more fat?

How much vitamin D can be taken (what serum) given the high amount of calcium in 1 gallon/day skim milk?

EXCarni Lady

Hi, I'm also an APOE3/4. I have been decades long vegan, paleo, raw primal, raw paleo, keto, Gundry , carni etc etc and experimenting with Peatism. Personally I would not use olive oil, I know Gundry says dairy fat is very bad for APOE4s but I am consuming it (raw whole in form of milk and raw cottage cheese, raw cheese).

If you look at cultures who have APOE4 allele (some African parts) they are using milk........I no longer follow Gundry or Bredesen protocols though and I would think just sorting your gut out might optimize the lactose issues.

As for the rest, I do not know.

OP
B

baccheion

Hi, I'm also an APOE3/4. I have been decades long vegan, paleo, raw primal, raw paleo, keto, Gundry , carni etc etc and experimenting with Peatism. Personally I would not use olive oil, I know Gundry says dairy fat is very bad for APOE4s but I am consuming it (raw whole in form of milk and raw cottage cheese, raw cheese).

If you look at cultures who have APOE4 allele (some African parts) they are using milk........I no longer follow Gundry or Bredesen protocols though and I would think just sorting your gut out might optimize the lactose issues.

As for the rest, I do not know.
Have you had labs run to verify safety of your approach? That is, testing for glycation, oxidized LDL, small particle count, LDL and HDL levels, etc?

EXCarni Lady

Have you had labs run to verify safety of your approach? That is, testing for glycation, oxidized LDL, small particle count, LDL and HDL levels, etc?

I get a heart panel and calcium scan every few years done as well as regular labs because I have Hashimoto's.

OP
B

baccheion

I get a heart panel and calcium scan every few years done as well as regular labs because I have Hashimoto's.
What about lipid panels? How did each diet affect lipids, inflammation, etc? Has Peating caused weight gain? How much saturated fat (% calories) do you get each day?

EXCarni Lady

What about lipid panels? How did each diet affect lipids, inflammation, etc? Has Peating caused weight gain? How much saturated fat (% calories) do you get each day?

So I grew up on a whole foods vegan diet (low fat, zero fat) then switched to a macrobiotic diet at age 12, I became a macro teacher, married a macro teacher etc, my TD was very low then, but I had been diagnosed with Hashi's at age 20. At 25 I left macrobiotics to enter a world of dietary experimentation that would encompass many regimes over the past 25 plus years. Most of those regimes elevated my LDL grossly. On keto and carni (and raw primal) I have high LDL. I also had very high CRP on keto . On Carni I did not get that tested, I should have. I was carni for a bit over 18 months. I recently stopped. I had gained fat and weight on carnivore diet. I am only one week into this but I am not going overboard with carbs, I am sticking to low fat, much lower fat now compared to what I was eating. A typical day for me looks like a cup of organic brewed coffee with some Vital Proteins collagen or gelatin and some steamed raw milk, a tad of honey from my own hives. Then I'll have some organic lower fat cottage cheese with some fresh ripe fruit in season (whatever is organic and looking best at the market, today it will be papapya). Dinner is a seared piece of grassfed sirloin (in butter or MCT oil, just a small amount) and some cooked fruit (I like to do traditonal style cooking of serving meat and fruit together) and two soft boiled soy free pastured eggs. A bit before or later, carrot salad. Some nights I have had cooked tubers. I also enjoy some loose leaf green tea during he day, sometimes with honey, some mineral water, smoked oysters or mussels.......slices of raw cheese...........I have not gained weight on this, thank goodness, I have lost maybe a little. I exercise daily but not so much it stresses me out. I walk too daily.

OP
B

baccheion

So I grew up on a whole foods vegan diet (low fat, zero fat) then switched to a macrobiotic diet at age 12, I became a macro teacher, married a macro teacher etc, my TD was very low then, but I had been diagnosed with Hashi's at age 20. At 25 I left macrobiotics to enter a world of dietary experimentation that would encompass many regimes over the past 25 plus years. Most of those regimes elevated my LDL grossly. On keto and carni (and raw primal) I have high LDL. I also had very high CRP on keto . On Carni I did not get that tested, I should have. I was carni for a bit over 18 months. I recently stopped. I had gained fat and weight on carnivore diet. I am only one week into this but I am not going overboard with carbs, I am sticking to low fat, much lower fat now compared to what I was eating. A typical day for me looks like a cup of organic brewed coffee with some Vital Proteins collagen or gelatin and some steamed raw milk, a tad of honey from my own hives. Then I'll have some organic lower fat cottage cheese with some fresh ripe fruit in season (whatever is organic and looking best at the market, today it will be papapya). Dinner is a seared piece of grassfed sirloin (in butter or MCT oil, just a small amount) and some cooked fruit (I like to do traditonal style cooking of serving meat and fruit together) and two soft boiled soy free pastured eggs. A bit before or later, carrot salad. Some nights I have had cooked tubers. I also enjoy some loose leaf green tea during he day, sometimes with honey, some mineral water, smoked oysters or mussels.......slices of raw cheese...........I have not gained weight on this, thank goodness, I have lost maybe a little. I exercise daily but not so much it stresses me out. I walk too daily.
20% fat? 25%? Calorie deficit? Surplus?

EXCarni Lady

What percent of your Peat diet is fat?

The fat would be coming from say 1/3 cup of whole raw milk (cannot get it lowfat), low fat cottage cheese or some regular raw cheese in a day , two eggs, some lean meat and the small amount of MCT oil or butter used to sear the meat. I don't measure so it's hard to know, but I know it feels low fat to me.

RealNeat

The fat would be coming from say 1/3 cup of whole raw milk (cannot get it lowfat), low fat cottage cheese or some regular raw cheese in a day , two eggs, some lean meat and the small amount of MCT oil or butter used to sear the meat. I don't measure so it's hard to know, but I know it feels low fat to me.
Are you still doing well with the Peat approach?