Peatarian Reviews - Pointing Out Inconsistencies And Half-truths In Peat's Work

Gee, I wonder if he has permission to post all those extracts :cool:

sm1693

I've always wondered about the carrot. RP says avoid fermentable fiber such as pectin because bacteria feeds on it. Yet he often mentions carrot salad as being the bees knees for estrogen removal.

I'm guessing he thinks that the anti-estrogen effect is a greater benefit than 100% fiber avoidance.

I think carrot pectin is a different kind but I'm not sure where I heard that.

burtlancast

Mr Bukowski seems to use selective evidence.
Just google "carrot is antiseptic" and you'll be amazed at what you'll read.

M Scott

I googled "carrot is antiseptic" and found ads for soap. You have a low bar for amazement, burt.

burtlancast

M Scott said:
I googled "carrot is antiseptic" and found ads for soap. You have a low bar for amazement, burt.

Isn't soap supposed to be antiseptic ??

:search

Suikerbuik

I like it, and it is the way science is barb. Try find something completely back or white in nature. Basically you will not find I can guarantee! Also don't consider peatarianism, as he likes to call it, or science in general as an endpoint. :)

And never forget the next quote made by Richard Feynman:
It is scientific only to say what is more likely and what less likely, and not to be proving all the time the possible and impossible. -Richard Feynman

BingDing

Is that the same Bukowski as on Peatarian.com who kind of likes RP and kind of doesn't like RP and kind of doesn't know what he did in the past and kind of doesn't know what he is doing now?

tara

Suikerbuik said:
And never forget the next quote made by Richard Feynman:
It is scientific only to say what is more likely and what less likely, and not to be proving all the time the possible and impossible. -Richard Feynman
:)

jyb

I don't agree with half of the post but its cool. How else are you going to fix a challenged health if you don't fully dig into the details to understand? A personal read of the studies is a start.

OP
B

barbwirehouse

BingDing said:
Is that the same Bukowski as on Peatarian.com who kind of likes RP and kind of doesn't like RP and kind of doesn't know what he did in the past and kind of doesn't know what he is doing now?

Yes, this is Bukowski of Peatarian.com

I think Buwoski is kinda an attention seeker since his "evidences" are very selective to contradict Peat's work, and sometimes very poor, not making any sense. I don't think any more attention is worth it here

whit

I can recall many times when a good counter to my views on an issue was a call for reaffirmation of said views. I believe Peat wants people to question his ideas.
After all isn't that the method he uses to teach?;)

TurtleNeck

[ moderator edit: threads merged ]

What do you guys think of this guy?

Peatarian Reviews

He seems to counteract all the stuff ray says? Who to believe anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:

Luann

Yes, he has come up before.

Choose option 3. Don't believe anyone. Do lots of research and call it a day.

DaveFoster

This guy nitpicks a lot. Dr. Peat is not right on everything, but he has a grounded approach, constantly researches new information, and views the body as a structure that desires stability, as opposed to a random conglomeration of moving parts as per the modern medical narrative.

He also mines for specific studies. You can find conducted studies that have opposite conclusions; just one example, niacinamide's effect on serotonin.

This is because one study selects for a certain set of controls while choosing one dependent variable, while another study will seek to expand the information by having a different set of controls with the same dependent variable.

Not to mention the meta-analyses, which make me cringe, as they often take the majority results as the final word.

Kyle M

As someone going through the process of getting a PhD in science, I can say that a lot of researchers are full of ***t to a greater or lesser extent. So when you "debunk" something with an article, it can be a crap shoot. When I say full of ***t, I don't mean necessarily knowingly lying, but rather having no interest in anything other than getting an article to press in order to fulfill the requirements for your degree/tenure/promotion. The amount of people that can talk about science in a broad way, and show what I think is critical and integrative thinking about it, is probably around 10%. That doesn't necessarily mean any particular experiment is wrong, or that the interpretation is wrong, but if anyone says something has been "debunked" or "they know" it's this or that, I wouldn't take it seriously.

For what it's worth, carrots seem to give me GI gas/bloating. Maybe it has to do with the type of flora you have, maybe it's antimicrobial for most but feeds some, or maybe if there's a biofilm it doesn't have antimicrobial function. There's many reasons even off the top of my head I could come up with for why some studies show carrot increases gut fermentation while some show it decreases it. Same thing with all of the other "debunking" stuff that is written about in that link.