Peatarian Reviews - Pointing Out Inconsistencies And Half-truths In Peat's Work

paymanz

Some of ray's advises are based on his personal experience on his own body,so not necessarily it works same way for all people.

Dante

As someone going through the process of getting a PhD in science, I can say that a lot of researchers are full of ***t to a greater or lesser extent. .
I don't find this to be true in maths/computer science/engineering based PhDs. If you don't mind telling , in which subject are you doing your phd?

jyb

From the comments on that article,

Peat is concerned about even microscopic amounts of residual starch fragments in the HFCS, since if they are absorbed into the bloodstream they can have far-ranging effects.

I've always had trouble with that explanation. I'm fine to believe that in general, a drawback of starch is this particles absorption. But how many particles a can of HFCS soda really contains compared to, say, a serving of potatoes? Because a serving of potatoes is acceptable or near acceptable for RP and many of us, even though some may well prefer other sources of carbs and avoid starch. But we don't develop sick livers from eating those potatoes unlike animals in HFCS studies, or those humans who tend to have HFCS rich diets...

Last edited:
M

member 2106

I think a lot of us take what Peat says on faith. For example, if I eat carrot salad, it's not because I've studied all the research and agreed that it is indeed antiseptic. No, it's because Ray Peat said it and it seems to make sense because he's very smart and knowledgable. That's probably the case with a lot of his claims. So it's good to encounter things like this which make you question it. Sometimes I worry a bit that I'm choosing to trust the work of one man, essentially, over the collective weight of everyone else's view, on things like exercise, sugar, etc. You've got to be careful, I think.

raypeatclips

@jyb I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the starch molecules of potatoes are very large in comparison to other starches so less likely to be absorbed negatively that Peat talks about. Perhaps the HCFS has less overall starch particles but that they are so small far more pass through than in a serving of potatoes.

jyb

@jyb I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the starch molecules of potatoes are very large in comparison to other starches so less likely to be absorbed negatively that Peat talks about. Perhaps the HCFS has less overall starch particles but that they are so small far more pass through than in a serving of potatoes.

Until I see the data and compare the number of small particles, it remains a wild guess. I'm sure there are bad effects from small particles in HFCS if it is true that some are in them, but I want to see proof of the connections to sick livers specifically because that is why HFCS is so interesting in studies.

I think a lot of us take what Peat says on faith. For example, if I eat carrot salad, it's not because I've studied all the research and agreed that it is indeed antiseptic.

That one is very different, because Peat has given well developed explanations and there's intuition for it. I've read a couple studies about the carrots, but more importantly I can test the effect easily and see for myself. And there is no contradictory research results to be discussed, so it's a much easier topic.

Last edited:

Kyle M

I don't find this to be true in maths/computer science/engineering based PhDs. If you don't mind telling , in which subject are you doing your phd?
I wouldn't be relevant if I wasn't doing biomedical. My PhD title will be "nutritional biochemistry" I believe, but that doesn't really matter.

XPlus

Sometimes I worry a bit that I'm choosing to trust the work of one man, essentially, over the collective weight of everyone else's view, on things like exercise, sugar, etc. You've got to be careful, I think.
On the contrary, I find it is much safer to have one reference to work with on a related set of topics. Specially, when that reference proves to be consistently spot on.
I wouldn't take Peat's word on marriage counseling, not because it might be bad, but he doesn't have the track record.
To debunk someone, you'll have to be at least as good as they're.
Mind the hip and peachy marketing, Mercola, and Cruze are probably not even aware of the science before the 1990s. Let alone foreign science.
They're likely to be stuck where they're because someone in their position is very unlikely to ever embrace something like sugar.

Last edited:

XPlus

For what it's worth, carrots seem to give me GI gas/bloating. .
I have a similar experience with carrots. The carrot definitely ferments but it's fermentation-resistant as apposed to fermentation-proof. When left in a damp, wet environment they spoil but not as bad as exposing onion to similar conditions. Carrots still have sugars and possibly other particles that are bacteria-friendly.
Their mild anti-septic nature makes them more effective at sweeping junk on their way out. You wouldn't rely on cucumbers, would you.

Tarmander

Dear god, don't believe what Peat says. He's not a guru or anything. Believing in Peat is like an oxymoron.

A debunker sounds like a car part.

I'm skeptical of Bukowski's claims because he hasn't updated that blog in almost two years. But as always, you must know how to read studies to come to an objective conclusion. I personally only value highly controlled, metabolic ward, human-only studies.

Last edited:

Dante

Mind the hip and peachy marketing, Mercola, and Cruze are probably not even aware of the science before the 1990s. Let alone foreign science.
Apparently Jack kruse does know some science , not really a fan of him but he has great respect for people like Gilbert Ling, mae wan Ho, pollack whom Peat also admires. I don't remember where but he has referenced ling's work and try to add his own hypothesis .Just like Peat he also said that current model of cell has some flaws and he follows Ling's work

Ray Peat is not a concierge doctor or a guru but he is a brilliant man. Dr. Peat doesn't owes us anything or have to be "right".

In my opinion Ray Peat is a savant. And not only that but he is a generous person who has helped a lot of people. I really do believe he knows an incredible amount. I don't think he knows everything but it is amazing to hear what someone who has immersed themselves in a subject like this thinks. But at the end of the day we all have to decide for ourselves what we think.

I am by nature an iconoclast but I think there are rare people in the world that it is ok to acknowledge are great people. I have learned to be my own doctor from him. Before Ray's work I thought I might be dying I was so sick and now I am recovering and feeling better. None of my doctors ever did that for me. Even in science there is not black and white. There is such complexity in the universe and in the cell. We are all still learning including Ray. I don't think you can "debunk" anything when the subject is as complex as the living organism.

some of it seems like he is arguing for the sake of arguing.. like the carrot salad thing seems pretty bad to me.. i know for a fact carrots help, i mean, it doesnt even digest, you can see it when you go the bathroom. however, i did find it interesting that salt increases calcium loss, i did not know that. i think it's probably worth it to read through to hear his evidence then do some research into peat's stuff based on that, always good to have multiple opinions..

also context is very important.. like he is saying that milk or calcium doesn't increase metabolic rate... but milk can be bad if you have high endotoxin load or high estrogen, i mean, you cant even see the studies on what those people are going through.. or how he says starch is fattening, i think peat is saying that starch is bad because it takes longer to digest due to increasing bacteria, he's not really saying the same thing from the article

Murray

Love it. I found several of Peat's claims to be at least questionable, but am too busy to do all that research. Nice to have my thoughts confirmed with hard evidence, to the extent that such studies can be considered hard. At least it is better than Peat's evidence and provides some quantification which Peat is almost entirely lacking. May make Peatarians unhappy, but c'est la vie.