Peatarian Christmas

Electric Slim

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas!

I wanted to ask what are your thoughts on the Christmas holiday from a Peatarian interpretation? In terms of the writings of Ray Peat, I see a number of things to commend it. Firstly, regarding the importance of light and vitamin D and our nature as a tropical species, it seems appropriate to lighten up the darkest gloomiest days of the year with a festival celebrating the greenery of life (Christmas trees, holly & ivy, mistletoe, the positive story of Jesus's birth) and optimistic anticipation of the future (the new year). Similarly, the special emphasis on "goodwill to all men" and charity fit in nicely with the view that a healthy metabolism permits greater feelings of benevolence and altruism towards one's fellow beings, and the emphasis on others (children, family, strangers) and giving rather than receiving, which can brighten the mood of even the most depressed person by shifting the focus of their thoughts away from themselves, evoking the Buddhist concept of Mudita, or unselfish joy, which is a joy available to even the most wretched people.

Finally, there is the compatibility of the traditional with Peatarian dietary principles, if one cares to make the effort. Citrus fruits and candied fruits are fairly orthodox, and poultry/meat with vegetables and potatoes, as well as carrots and even chestnuts are fine or at least permissible as occasional foods for special occasions. Coca-Cola has a "holidays are coming" feel to it as well.

The ideal Christmas Day can act as a template for the rest of the year, if you choose. Like Scrooge said: "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." And if today isn't great for whatever reason, remember it is only the first day of Christmas, and you have Twelve in all! Hope you all have a great Christmas and happy new year, now and in the future. Sending positive vibrations your way.

:santa::christmastree::loveletter:

Luann

Just saw this! Great post that sums up a lot of Christmas symbols in one place and you are right about it being a Peaty analog. Christmas to me, a Christian, is sacred; the world finally admitting it can't save itself, God coming to man in peace not in just anger. These days it's less popular to give to the poor, with the backlash against welfare and all kinds of class discussions, but a gift, like all gifts, is like the coming of Christ, a gift, something soft, not something shrewd.
Don't have much to say, but to me...Christmas is a huge thing and not just a holiday to be anti- this and anti- that and consumerism ruined things, la lala. It has a core of love and quietness.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom