Peat Wrong On DHA

Tarmander

Aspirin seems to be more than capable of doing all the things sometimes attributed to DHA. Unlike DHA, aspirin has a long track record of significantly improving diabetic conditions in humans, whereas the results for the former are inconclusive, at best. Immunosuppression might not be preferable to diabetes, in the long run. The guy says himself that auto-antibodies reappear as soon as you get of the fish oil. I wish some of the studies showing DHA to pe protective against diabetes in rodent studies would display the survival rates for their groups.

Aspirin alone does not have the same immunosuppressive effects as DHA, not even close. Protocol would not work without DHA being in there.

Whether T1D is preferable to immunosuppression is a personal call. There are people who have taken fish oil for decades without cancer.

Kvothe

Aspirin alone does not have the same immunosuppressive effects as DHA, not even close. Protocol would not work without DHA being in there.

Whether T1D is preferable to immunosuppression is a personal call. There are people who have taken fish oil for decades without cancer.

Aspirin doesn't have any immunosuppressive effects, it actually has useful, and non-harmful, anti-inflammatory effects. That's why it is so successful in improving both types of diabetes - that's a statement supported by research. Again, there isn't much research to support the idea that DHA-mediated immunosuppression is actually even doing anything measurable in the context of diabetes. There is no research showing that DHA/fish oil can prevent or reverse diabetes in humans. So, saying that the protocol wouldn't work without DHA is a bold statement.

Tarmander

Aspirin doesn't have any immunosuppressive effects, it actually has useful, and non-harmful, anti-inflammatory effects. That's why it is so successful in improving both types of diabetes - that's a statement supported by research. Again, there isn't much research to support the idea that DHA-mediated immunosuppression is actually even doing anything measurable in the context of diabetes. There is no research showing that DHA/fish oil can prevent or reverse diabetes in humans. So, saying that the protocol wouldn't work without DHA is a bold statement.
It really isn't that big of a jump.

If you read Ray's article The Great Fish Oil Experiment and go through the references, there are a few studies on DHA suppressing T cells and other immune markers, along with increasing cortisol (more immune suppression)

Those kids trying to prevent antibodies angled at their pancreas from getting out of control are by definition trying to suppress their immune system.

But if that is too much of a jump for you, agree to disagree

gaze

But Vit D and aspirin are extremely protective against T1D. Id say vit D is the most important. So how would you know the protocol wouldnt work without DHA?

Kvothe

It really isn't that big of a jump.

If you read Ray's article The Great Fish Oil Experiment and go through the references, there are a few studies on DHA suppressing T cells and other immune markers, along with increasing cortisol (more immune suppression)

Those kids trying to prevent antibodies angled at their pancreas from getting out of control are by definition trying to suppress their immune system.

But if that is too much of a jump for you, agree to disagree

You can jump around all you want, there still isn't any evidence showing that it works, even if you believe in the standard concept of autoimmunity causing diabetes. Fish oil suppresses inflammation for a while, as you can read in the article you cited. That probably accounts for their minimal, mostly "not significant" effects in human trials. If you want to use something significant, and something that has actually been shown in trials to work, you go for aspirin. These little stories à la "these two brave boys successfully fight their diabetes with fish oil, and every time they stop something bad happens" is a perfect example of covert marketing, and the fish oil fad still going strong.

Tarmander

You can jump around all you want, there still isn't any evidence showing that it works, even if you believe in the standard concept of autoimmunity causing diabetes. Fish oil suppresses inflammation for a while, as you can read in the article you cited. That probably accounts for their minimal, mostly "not significant" effects in human trials. If you want to use something significant, and something that has actually been shown in trials to work, you go for aspirin. These little stories à la "these two brave boys successfully fight their diabetes with fish oil, and every time they stop something bad happens" is a perfect example of covert marketing, and the fish oil fad still going strong.
I am not sure why you are arguing this so voraciously?

No one has done studies on these of course so if you have the antibodies and want to just get T1D and not try anything that is fine. If you go by just studies nothing prevents T1D after you have the antibodies

As a T1D myself I think it's interesting that there is a facebook group with thousands of people testing out different protocols like this one to prevent their kids from getting T1D after positive antibody tests.

Aspirin has all kinds of benefits but it really isn't going to cut it in this case, especially at baby aspirin amounts. What else is hitting so hard in the protocol other then the DHA?

But Vit D and aspirin are extremely protective against T1D. Id say vit D is the most important. So how would you know the protocol wouldnt work without DHA?
the reports of other T1Ds in the facebook group around this protocol and a bit of my own experimentation

High vit D levels can suppress certain parts of the immune system and affect blood sugar sure. The coimbra protocol is getting good results but you have to take astronomically high amounts of D3. This protocol is not using those high amounts.

DHA, unlike the other ingredients in the protocol, hits like a hammer. Blood sugars are super low and you start getting colds and flus super easy.

Aspirin has benefits but it doesn't seem to suppress immune system much, especially not at a baby aspirin or two per day.

The rest of the protocol just isn't strong enough to do much. Maybe the Niacinamide, alpha lipoic, or gymnema but again they are not taking very much. The whole thing is basically a DHA protocol with some add ons.

Last edited:

Tarmander

Did you develop T1D after eating like or was it before/after, if you don't mind me asking
eating like? I was 12, cant really remember what I was eating but it was typical Frozen stuff, cereal, maybe 4-5 home made meals per week, lots of meat and carbs.

gaze

eating like? I was 12, cant really remember what I was eating but it was typical Frozen stuff, cereal, maybe 4-5 home made meals per week, lots of meat and carbs.

Oh I meant to say peating, my bad. and thanks for the answer. So when you say people try the DHA protocol and other related attempts, how do you know if somethings working? do you see how long you can go without insulin?

Tarmander

Oh I meant to say peating, my bad. and thanks for the answer. So when you say people try the DHA protocol and other related attempts, how do you know if somethings working? do you see how long you can go without insulin?
well it wouldn't really help me. But if you had kids and one kid was a type 1 diabetic and you got your other kids tested for antibodies and found that they were on their way to being a type 1...you could attempt to delay or stop that.

I have tried all the different sups in that protocol though and yes, basically you need less insulin for carbs you eat depending on which one.

Wilfrid

Oysters are very good sources of DHA as well as others so-called essential fatty acids and since Ray recommends to have at least one serving of seafood (and oysters in particular) a week, there is no need for J. Kruse to worry about Ray's misunderstanding on DHA (and its metabolites) or any other related essential life's supporting (micro and/or macro) substance for that matter.
And if you add daily egg(s) into the list, Kruse can be confident that Ray's confusion and ignorance, about this highly scientific and delicate topic, is probably a little overestimated.
Really there is no need to worry or even to argue...

Andman

if theres anyone to worry about its kruse himself

i can only repeat my suggestion to look for tyws posts on dha/kruse here, or on the epi-paleo forum if it still exists

Potato

All I know is when I don't get much omega 3 fats in diet my penor is literally dead. It shrinks to the smallest version possible and usually stays small all the time and I don't get good erections. When I supplement omega 3 fats, I get strong erections and my penor is full in size even when flaccid. That is all the evidence I need in this world, whatever you guys say, don't mean a thing.

@Potato That's interesting, do you use supplements for O3 or mostly from fresh fish?
If you use a supplement then brand would be useful.

Potato

@Potato That's interesting, do you use supplements for O3 or mostly from fresh fish?
If you use a supplement then brand would be useful.
I used fish oil, brand that is sold only in my country in europe. Ethyl ester fish oil, 600mg EPA and 300mg DHA per capsule. I stopped using it early this year and my penor has been dead this whole year. I'm gonna try taking flaxseed oil and see if it works as well, if not then I will start using the fish oil again. I have tried eating fish but I get allergy symptoms from all fish.

Anyone have information to amounts and types of Metals and Contamination in Coconut Oil? Was it Ni? What else and how much?

schultz

All I know is when I don't get much omega 3 fats in diet my penor is literally dead. It shrinks to the smallest version possible and usually stays small all the time and I don't get good erections. When I supplement omega 3 fats, I get strong erections and my penor is full in size even when flaccid. That is all the evidence I need in this world, whatever you guys say, don't mean a thing.

That is evidence that it has an effect on part of your body. Are you trying to say that is evidence that humans absolutely need DHA? I don't take DHA and I rarely eat seafood, yet I have strong erections, so is that all the evidence I need in the world to show the opposite of your evidence?

Continue taking it of you think it is helping you in some way, but it doesn't hurt to try and understand why something is working, or what it is doing and to understand that something that is producing positive results may also have negative consequences. That way when or if your health starts to deteriorate in any way you can examine your diet and make a choice to cut something out based on your knowledge of the things you consume.

Personally if I wanted to get DHA I think I'd just eat some good seafood. I have little faith in a supplement given that a lot of them have been shown to be rancid before consumption. Although that would give you an immunosuppresive effect, and maybe that is what is helping you.

I was reading this website today

Ben’s story about trying to prevent diabetes

Kid has antibodies for islet cells and is on his way to getting type 1 diabetes.

He uses higher dose DHA (3g per dayish) along with aspirin, vit D, and some other supplements to suppress those antibodies and stay free of T1D

DHA may have some downsides but it has got to be better than T1D

Does he avoid Wheat? Seems to be associated with Type 1,

Potato

That is evidence that it has an effect on part of your body. Are you trying to say that is evidence that humans absolutely need DHA? I don't take DHA and I rarely eat seafood, yet I have strong erections, so is that all the evidence I need in the world to show the opposite of your evidence?

Continue taking it of you think it is helping you in some way, but it doesn't hurt to try and understand why something is working, or what it is doing and to understand that something that is producing positive results may also have negative consequences. That way when or if your health starts to deteriorate in any way you can examine your diet and make a choice to cut something out based on your knowledge of the things you consume.

Personally if I wanted to get DHA I think I'd just eat some good seafood. I have little faith in a supplement given that a lot of them have been shown to be rancid before consumption. Although that would give you an immunosuppresive effect, and maybe that is what is helping you.
There is something wrong in my body when I don't get good erections without fish oil. When I was young, I didn't eat any fish or supplements and my erections and libido were insane. It might be because I have overdosed on oxalates and carotenes for years and those things can harm endothelial function. For years my main sources of calories were sweet potatoes and buckwheat.

Andman

There is something wrong in my body when I don't get good erections without fish oil. When I was young, I didn't eat any fish or supplements and my erections and libido were insane. It might be because I have overdosed on oxalates and carotenes for years and those things can harm endothelial function. For years my main sources of calories were sweet potatoes and buckwheat.

maybe a more general issue? hows your overall metabolism (temps/pulse/energy/sleep/digestion/bodyfat%) etc. id go back to the basics before putting something very potentially harmful into my body or worrying about stuff like oxalates

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals