Peat Wrong About EFA Deficiency, Omega 3s

DANIEL

I eliminated fish, omega 3 supps, and other things from my diet 5 months ago.

Over time I developed really bad eczema behind my knees and elbows.

My scaly skin on the insides of my knees and elbows DID NOT improve with supplementation of:
  • p5p
  • regular B6
  • zinc
  • biotin
  • vitamin D3
Started eating salmon and taking fish oil again and, voila, a week later my skin is now hydrated and smooth all over like a baby.

Peat is right about serotonin, metabolic theory, sugar, etc.

But you guys who take his word as gospel, cherry-pick studies on EFA, and do not question anything he says are just reflecting your poor state of health (high serotonin) with your hero worship.

Andman

glad youre feeling better, but pufa being beneficial/anti-inflammatory in the short term is nothing new really

have you tried aspirin, lidocaine, preg, prog, red light etc. for your issue?

JKX

Skin problems are directly linked to endotoxin. The things Andman listed should be helpful but the priority should be reducing endotoxin formation in the first place. Plenty of options available to improve transit time and bowel clearance. The forum member Hans recently wrote an article which may be of interest.

Comstock

My scaly skin on the insides of my knees and elbows DID NOT improve with supplementation of:
  • p5p
  • regular B6
  • zinc
  • biotin
  • vitamin D3
Started eating salmon and taking fish oil again and, voila, a week later my skin is now hydrated and smooth all over like a baby.

But you guys who take his word as gospel, cherry-pick studies on EFA, and do not question anything he says are just reflecting your poor state of health (high serotonin) with your hero worship.

I've avoided PUFA for years and have never developed eczema. I would bet most people on this forum also don't have eczema.

It's probably something specific to you. Hope you can figure it out so you can start avoiding PUFA again.

LeeLemonoil

I also eat fish occasionlly.

Other good supps to maybe control eczema are policosanol, frankincense extracts (boswellia acids and triterpenes), iodine and taurine. All 4 are also useful in keeping PUFAs effect in check. Taurine and iodin are already present in fish in relatively hgh amounts as you might know

Mito

Could be just fish oil reducing inflammation. Check out table 4 in this study (Omega-3 Fatty Acids vs Corn Oil and Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events in Patients at High Risk). Omega-3 supplementing dropped the inflammatory marker hs-CRP by 20%.
upload_2020-11-21_9-9-14.png

Atman

• p5p
  • regular B6
  • zinc
  • biotin
  • vitamin D3

Up until very recently almost nobody in continental europe was eating oily cold water fish on a regular basis.
Where did they get their precious omega 3 fish oils from?
We had this topic dozens of times during the years, but you will not convince anybody who made their own positive experiences by drastically reducing PUFAs (to pre 1950s levels) in their diets.

But if you are personally doing better on high PUFA, you can consider yourself lucky.
You can now shop at the grocery store again without discarding 90%+ of processed foods.

Uselis

Up until very recently almost nobody in continental europe was eating oily cold water fish on a regular basis.
Where did they get their precious omega 3 fish oils from?
We had this topic dozens of times during the years, but you will not convince anybody who made their own positive experiences by drastically reducing PUFAs (to pre 1950s levels) in their diets.

But if you are personally doing better on high PUFA, you can consider yourself lucky.
You can now shop at the grocery store again without discarding 90%+ of processed foods.

Do you perhaps have stats what pufa levels were pre 1950? That seems interesting numbers.

Thanks

InChristAlone

mrchibbs

This is not a good look, you're basically taking a dump on everyone here from your pedestal. There is a mountain of evidence backing Ray's position on polyunsaturated fats. Anything anti-inflammatory will improve your skin, and as @Andman mentioned, these omega-3 fatty acids do have an initial anti-inflammatory effect.

Last edited:

Sharko

I got exactly the same symptoms as yours after disposing of pufa ... but I was able to change it without going back to consuming pufa. I no longer remember how because I have been making changes in diet and supplements for two years every day. Anyway, there is something vital in Pufa that needs to be completed in another way probably. That's my feeling. But there is no doubt that I have identified many health problems that have arisen following Pufa and disappeared as they were after Pufa was removed

Mito

I don't get how those results show anything beneficial. Sure it did drop more. But the corn oil group also went down. And corn oil is known for promoting inflammation so how is that possible?
Just demonstrates the well known anti inflammatory effect of omega-3 at least in the short term but it comes at the expense of immune suppression. It’s hard to say why the corn oil group also saw a slight reduction in his-CRP. It could be the statins which have been shown to have anti inflammatory effects (Statins as Anti-Inflammatory Agents in Atherogenesis: Molecular Mechanisms and Lessons from the Recent Clinical Trials).

InChristAlone

Just demonstrates the well known anti inflammatory effect of omega-3 at least in the short term but it comes at the expense of immune suppression. It’s hard to say why the corn oil group also saw a slight reduction in his-CRP. It could be the statins which have been shown to have anti inflammatory effects (Statins as Anti-Inflammatory Agents in Atherogenesis: Molecular Mechanisms and Lessons from the Recent Clinical Trials).
Oh I didn't actually click on the study to see what else they were on. But yeah the statins being involved muddy the waters. And they concluded it didn't help cardiovascular events. So it's useless anyway.

tankasnowgod

• p5p
  • regular B6
  • zinc
  • biotin
  • vitamin D3

Well, at the very least, this is a YMMV thing. I don't eat any fish (though I usually do oysters every week or two), and I never take fish oil (at least since my paleo days, something like 7 years ago).

My skin is looking the best it has in my adult life, and the formerly rough skin on my elbows is the smoothest it's ever been, especially over the past 6 months. Inclined bed therapy improved it quite a bit. Doing the no starch diet also helped quite a bit.

I am also taking other things that should improve skin (including lots of glycine and gelatin, progesterone, cyproheptadine), but notice the improvement in elbows before that.

When I did take fish oil back in the day, I didn't notice any improvement in skin.

Also, I don't think you should go around creating threads calling "Peat Wrong" without citing what he says, and simply using the anecdotal evidence of yourself as the only evidence.

The Great Fish Oil Experiment

"In experiments that last just a few weeks or months, there may not be time for cancers to develop, and on that time scale, the immunosuppressive and antiinflammatory effects of oxidized fish oil might seem beneficial. "

Hmmm, you said "a week ago," so that certainly falls within the time frame Peat was speaking about.

Last edited:
T

tca300

In 2017 I was on extremely low PUFA for over a year ~1 gram per day ( skim milk, hydrogenated coconut or mct oil, orange juice, and small amounts of liver ) then for the tail end of it for multiple months I switched from orange juice to honey and was getting no more than about 300mg of total pufa per day. I never had skin issues.

Also William R. Brown did a similar low PUFA diet for 6 months and improved multiple health markers. They never mentioned him having any adverse effects from the diet that I can remember.

MitchMitchell

I’m not convinced eating PUFAs is the solution to high serotonin issues.

It would be reductionist to limit seafood benefits to just omega 3s. That’s car salesmen tactics applied to fancy softgels.

lampofred

He never said that PUFAs don't seem to help for skin issues like eczema. He said that even though they might seem to help, the real cause of the skin issue is something else, and the PUFA is working by just shutting off the immune system. Eczema is caused by inflammation, and shutting off the immune system lowers inflammation, but obviously that cannot be the long-term solution.

Attakai

I 100% believe he's right that all the PUFA vegetable oils are absolute ***t for the human body.
Fresh fish(Not the rancid oils sold) seems to make me feel good and I don't try to avoid it these days.

mrchibbs

I 100% believe he's right that all the PUFA vegetable oils are absolute ***t for the human body.
Fresh fish(Not the rancid oils sold) seems to make me feel good and I don't try to avoid it these days.

For sure. I think Ray said white fish is preferable, and I've found I enjoy it with some egg batter and fine herbs. There's bound to be some EFA in those and shellfish but I think that's balanced by the mineral and vitamin intake. The fatty fish from cold water seems like it should be avoided, especially when farmed as it contains very little redeeming qualities (like vitamin D as wild caught salmon is typically a good source of that).