Peat Used To Be A Fan Of Low Carb, No Sugar Diets

lvysaur

Saltless butter is disgusting but with salt it's just right. Saltless cheese would be inedible.

That's just not true. Unsalted butter tastes great by itself, provided the butter is good quality.

I guess even bad quality sugar tastes okay, though.

sladerunner69

This explains why Peat looks about 60 years old. He didn't find out about the eternal youth benefits of sugar until he was about that age.

sladerunner69

That's just not true. Unsalted butter tastes great by itself, provided the butter is good quality.

I guess even bad quality sugar tastes okay, though.

Like high fructose corn syrup? Nope I can tell straight up, it's about 2/3 the sweetness of white sugar.

churchmouth

So does anyone know how long Peat has been following his current principles (ignoring small changes like the button mushrooms thing)?

J

James IV

Has anyone ever actually heard Dr Peat reccomemd a high carb diet? The only time I've ever heard him questioned about optimal macro ratios, he said he doesn't know, and that 33/33/33 might be good. That's hardly high carb.
In fact, the only time I've heard him use the words "high carb," is when he mentioned that a "high carb diet can be healthy, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health." Interpret that how you may, but that doesn't sound like a recommendation to me.

I'm not implying that a high carb diet is bad or good. Just that I've never heard Ray say it was optimal, or say anything close to that. Sufficient carbs, protein, all fats from saturated sources, avoid toxins and irritating foods; that's what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuggaDugga

Has anyone ever actually heard Dr Peat reccomemd a high carb diet? The only time I've ever heard him mention macro ratio's he said he doesn't know, and that 33/33/33 might be good. That's hardly high carb.
In fact, the only time I've heard him use the words "high carb," is when he mentioned that a "high carb diet can be healthy, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health." Interpret that how you may, but that doesn't sound like a recommendation to me.

I'm not implying that a high carb diet is bad or good. Just that I've never heard Ray say it was optimal, or say anything close to that. Sufficient carbs, protein, all fats from saturated sources, avoid toxins and irritating foods; that's what I see.

I agree. Every time I've heard him recommend a high-sugar diet it was in the context of being leveraged as a therapy, not necessarily the end-all-be-all way-of-life for everyone forever.
When I first adopted a Peat-inspired diet my thyroid and liver were in miserable shape and I remember my appetite for fruit was practically insatiable. I obliged it and found health issues began rectifying themselves pretty quick. After a couple months my appetite for fruit became more moderate, but I forced myself to maintain the same levels of consumption only to find it was slowly becoming a detriment. I eat a much more balanced diet now, guided by instinct/appetite, and it's been all good. My physiological state has changed with time and so then also has my dietary needs.

jyb

So does anyone know how long Peat has been following his current principles (ignoring small changes like the button mushrooms thing)?

In some of his year 2000s interviews he talks about a daily quart of ice cream daily for 15 years. In the recent decade you see more emphasis on carbs and less on fat in his communications. It is useful to include the date when quoting him, to avoid the apparent contradictions often found in forum discussions.

Xisca

Yes because sugar is yummy by itself but fat needs salt or sugar to be yummy. ...
Trying to swallow pure oil of any kind makes me vomit.
Why do you talk about extracts?
Fruits are yummy and nuts are yummy too. Milk or cream are better than butter.
Lean meat too is much tastier with salt.
And I would certainly NOT eat sugar by spoonful!

Mito

Has anyone ever actually heard Dr Peat reccomemd a high carb diet? The only time I've ever heard him questioned about optimal macro ratios, he said he doesn't know, and that 33/33/33 might be good.
I agree. Considering his consistent protein recommendations of 80-100 grams or more and recommendations for eggs and coconut oil, I'm not sure you could get much over 60% carbs.

DrJ

I read Nutrition for Women because I am awesome, secure in my masculinity, and own more power tools than you can shake a pretty painted nail at. You seem to not be getting the context in which those things are said. The one actual quote you provide is in a review of several types of diets popular at the time where he is basically pointing out how each diet has questionable elements in it, and I got the impression he was trying to elucidate the dogmatic nature of a lot of diets. No doubt Peat's ideas have evolved, but I found a lot of the the basic tenants he still talks about present in Nutrition for Women. His willingness to investigate the pros and cons of a diet (hey, you can get by on ketones, is a lot of sugar necessary for brain function? but hey again, you can get more efficient metabolism if you get the sugar burning going and producing a lot of CO2, maybe we should entertain eating lots of sugar) demonstrates that he's not an ideologue. All people are fallible, but the problem with ideologues is they can never be aware of it and thus never improve their knowledge situation.

Xisca

Yes westside, my point was to not talk about pure fat, nor pure oil, nor even pure sugar: no extract but whole foods are yummy.

Elie

Forum Supporter
From Nutrition for Women:

-Says calories from sugar are far inferior compared to calories from protein and will mess up your digestion so that even other foods won't get assimilated properly
-Says atkins low carb diet is good for energy
-Says cancer lives mostly on sugar
-Says carbon dioxide is radioactive

One quote: "Many dietitians insist that you must have at least 100 grams of carbohydrate daily because the brain 'uses glucose.' However, the brain can adapt to using the ketones which result from fat oxidation."

Lmao what the... How do you literally turn 180 on two of the most fundamental parts of your research (sugar, Co2)?

Next thing you know if I dig deeper he probably praised PUFA and demonized sat fat before.
How long ago did he make these statements?

burtlancast

The quote about CO2 being radioactive is taken out of context
86:
Recently, Dr. G.G. Costa and others at the Medical College of Virginia developed a test for cancer which probably involves this "pregnancy metabolism." They feed the patient some radioactive fat, and a person with even a very small cancer will breathe out about three times as much radioactive carbon dioxide, showing that the metabolism shifts toward fat mobilization at an early stage of cancerization.

But the rest of the quotes seem correct:
86:
Cancers, like embryos, live mostly on sugar. High blood sugar is maintained by causing the body to consume itself (fat and protein) while leaving sugar for the growing tissue

85:
The idea that "a calorie is a calorie," or a simple calorie counting approach fails to recognize not only the specific dynamic action of proteins (the action of oils is usually called "uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation"), but also fails to recognize events at the organismic level, such as insulin secretion, which form a link between the form in which food is taken (composition and timing) and the behavior, appetite, and metabolism. For example, an active brain can burn about half of all the energy consumed by the body. If brain activity is depressed, a very large percentage of the food consumed becomes available for making fat. Most physicians, who should be in the habit of considering the person as a whole, will still tell you that a "calorie is a calorie." The fact is that for many people, 100 calories of sugar is profoundly different from 100 calories of protein, even when both are taken as excess food beyond an adequate diet. The sugar will affect not only the way it is used, but it will modify the body so that the other food is not used properly.
Avoiding stimulation of the insulin-secreting beta cells in the pancreas will tend to make energy more continuously available for normal functions, including mental alertness, instead of storing it as fat. This amounts to a kind of "systemic dynamic action." Diets which take advantage of this principle are Atkins' low carbohydrate diet, and Gordon's "Wisconsin" diet which involves frequent small meals and a fairly high protein intake.

I would like to add my own quote about sugar causing a drop in immunity:
54:
P. Delbet used physiological magnesium chloride (12.1 grams per liter) to stimulate phagocytosis in white blood cells. The activity was more than doubled by injection of 150 cc. of this solution into a dog, or by application to cells in vitro. (See Magnesium: the Nutrient that Could Change Your Life, J.I. Rodale, Pyramid, New York, 1968.) Dr. U.D. Register, of the School of Health at Loma Linda University, has done related work that shows a decline of white blood cell activity with increased sugar in the diet.

J

James IV

The quote about CO2 being radioactive is taken out of context
86:

But the rest of the quotes seem correct:
86:

85:

I would like to add my own quote about sugar causing a drop in immunity:
54:

Excellent post Burt.

sojourner

From Nutrition for Women:

-Says calories from sugar are far inferior compared to calories from protein and will mess up your digestion so that even other foods won't get assimilated properly
-Says atkins low carb diet is good for energy
-Says cancer lives mostly on sugar
-Says carbon dioxide is radioactive

One quote: "Many dietitians insist that you must have at least 100 grams of carbohydrate daily because the brain 'uses glucose.' However, the brain can adapt to using the ketones which result from fat oxidation."

Lmao what the... How do you literally turn 180 on two of the most fundamental parts of your research (sugar, Co2)?

Next thing you know if I dig deeper he probably praised PUFA and demonized sat fat before.

I would be more concerned if a life-long researcher such as RP was not constantly evolving his understanding of nutrition. The pace at which research is proceeding makes it imperative to evaluate past theories in light of emerging information. His analysis passes this test for me!

TreasureVibe

J Clin Invest. 2008 Dec;118(12):3930-42. doi: 10.1172/JCI36843. Epub 2008 Nov 20.
Targeting lactate-fueled respiration selectively kills hypoxic tumor cells in mice.
Sonveaux P1, Végran F, Schroeder T, Wergin MC, Verrax J, Rabbani ZN, De Saedeleer CJ, Kennedy KM, Diepart C, Jordan BF, Kelley MJ, Gallez B, Wahl ML, Feron O, Dewhirst MW.
Author information

Abstract
Tumors contain oxygenated and hypoxic regions, so the tumor cell population is heterogeneous. Hypoxic tumor cells primarily use glucose for glycolytic energy production and release lactic acid, creating a lactate gradient that mirrors the oxygen gradient in the tumor. By contrast, oxygenated tumor cells have been thought to primarily use glucose for oxidative energy production. Although lactate is generally considered a waste product, we now show that it is a prominent substrate that fuels the oxidative metabolism of oxygenated tumor cells. There is therefore a symbiosis in which glycolytic and oxidative tumor cells mutually regulate their access to energy metabolites. We identified monocarboxylate transporter 1 (MCT1) as the prominent path for lactate uptake by a human cervix squamous carcinoma cell line that preferentially utilized lactate for oxidative metabolism. Inhibiting MCT1 with alpha-cyano-4-hydroxycinnamate (CHC) or siRNA in these cells induced a switch from lactate-fueled respiration to glycolysis. A similar switch from lactate-fueled respiration to glycolysis by oxygenated tumor cells in both a mouse model of lung carcinoma and xenotransplanted human colorectal adenocarcinoma cells was observed after administration of CHC. This retarded tumor growth, as the hypoxic/glycolytic tumor cells died from glucose starvation, and rendered the remaining cells sensitive to irradiation. As MCT1 was found to be expressed by an array of primary human tumors, we suggest that MCT1 inhibition has clinical antitumor potential.

Source: Targeting lactate-fueled respiration selectively kills hypoxic tumor cells in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

See following article:

Do Ketones Fuel Cancer? The Low-Carb Experts Respond « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Blog