Peat-style food for hiking/backpacking?

bradley

One of my passions is to go on long, multi-day hiking trips, 3-7 days at a time. The terrain is usually challenging, thus requiring extra calories. What would you all suggest for Peat-approved hiking food?

I was thinking of making a powder i can add warm water to for breakfast with gelatin/collagen, sugar, powdered coconut milk, and salt.

Ive had good luck with dehydrated potato flakes with coconut oil for dinner.

I can do a bit of dried fruit, but it tends to hurt my teeth.

Any good pre-made snack bars?

Thanks!
Brad

G

gummybear

I'm bumping this thread, I love to go hiking for a couple of days in a row but I have no idea to eat now. Before I used to had alot of nudles, ready to eat meals, porridge etc.

cliff

Dates, raisins, cheese, corn tortillas, marshmallows, gummybears, chicharrones, potatoes, vitamin supplements(b1,b3,b6, vit K, vit A), other supplements(baking soda, salt, thyroid, aspirin)

G

gummybear

cliff said:
Dates, raisins, cheese, corn tortillas, marshmallows, gummybears, chicharrones, potatoes, vitamin supplements(b1,b3,b6, vit K, vit A), other supplements(baking soda, salt, thyroid, aspirin)

You mentioned me :partydance

Thanks for the list, I hope we get a nice list. It's good to have some food "on the go" on a long journey etc.

OP
bradley

bradley

I went on a 4-day hiking trip recently. I made a hot drink mix of Great Lakes Collagen powder, coconut milk powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda. I had this for breakfast and as an after dinner tea. During the days I'd have Stoats oat bars (ingredients Oats, butter, sugar), as well as larabars and other fruit based bars. Some dark chocolate occasionally. For dinner I'd have mashed potatoes with coconut oil, salt, and lemon. I'd have had some cheese and pwdered milk, but i get bad inflammation from dairy in any form.

G

gummybear

bradley said:
I went on a 4-day hiking trip recently. I made a hot drink mix of Great Lakes Collagen powder, coconut milk powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda. I had this for breakfast and as an after dinner tea. During the days I'd have Stoats oat bars (ingredients Oats, butter, sugar), as well as larabars and other fruit based bars. Some dark chocolate occasionally. For dinner I'd have mashed potatoes with coconut oil, salt, and lemon. I'd have had some cheese and pwdered milk, but i get bad inflammation from dairy in any form.

Sorry to hear that you get inflammation from dairy, is it an allergy or anything else?

Great suggestions Bradley. The oat bars seems tasty, is it something that one can make in their own kitchen? I don't live in the usa so I cant buy them.

OP
bradley

bradley

Gummybear, I get digestive issues from the lactose, and bad joint-pain from the casein. I also suspect I get mild depression from casein.

The oat bars come from the UK. Whereabouts do you live? I bet they would be simple to make.

As Cliff suggests, I did take some supplements in the form of Aspirin, B's, C, thyroid, etc..

gummybear said:
bradley said:

Sorry to hear that you get inflammation from dairy, is it an allergy or anything else?

Great suggestions Bradley. The oat bars seems tasty, is it something that one can make in their own kitchen? I don't live in the usa so I cant buy them.

G

gummybear

Have you talked to Ray about it? I've heard him say somewhere that a cup (like 3dl) of milk every meal can "cure" lactose intolerance. It's a shame you cant have it because dairy really rocks.

I live in scandinavia and I thought the stoat bars came from usa...I ordered some when I saw it comes from scotland. I asked them for the recipe aswell.

Coconut milk powder, what's that?

bradley said:
Gummybear, I get digestive issues from the lactose, and bad joint-pain from the casein. I also suspect I get mild depression from casein.

The oat bars come from the UK. Whereabouts do you live? I bet they would be simple to make.

As Cliff suggests, I did take some supplements in the form of Aspirin, B's, C, thyroid, etc..

gummybear said:
bradley said:

Attachments

• allessandro orig cover record 10.jpg
    allessandro orig cover record 10.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 47
OP
bradley

bradley

I've tried introducing all manner of dairy in all manner of ways, never with good results.

This is the Coco Milk powder i use. Wilderness family naturals brand is good too. There are trace amounts of casein and maltodextrin in there unfortunately, but it's a compromise i don't mind making.

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Cocconut-Po ... ilk+powder

gummybear said:
Have you talked to Ray about it? I've heard him say somewhere that a cup (like 3dl) of milk every meal can "cure" lactose intolerance. It's a shame you cant have it because dairy really rocks.

I live in scandinavia and I thought the stoat bars came from usa...I ordered some when I saw it comes from scotland. I asked them for the recipe aswell.

Coconut milk powder, what's that?

bradley said:

gummybear said:
bradley said:

Last edited by a moderator:

nwo2012

@gummybear, I wouldnt recommend eating too many of the oat bars. Raw oats are not the best thing for hypothyroidism due to the phytic acid content.

@bradley, try raw milk. I could never tolerate more than 300ml of pasteurized milk at a time due to a lactose issue (long ago, long before I even heard of Ray Peat). Never had the problem since drinking only raw milk.
Likewise milk from Jersey cows is less likely to have problematic casein.
But I now find that I no longer have the issue with pasteurized milk too.

nwo2012

Home-made chocolate (sugar, baker's chocolate (cacao liquor) and sugar) is also good to carry around. You could have a large flask containing OJ, salt, sugar, baking soda and eggshell calcium. Cliff's list is pretty good, I always carry home-made tortilla's when Im on the go. You can make Scottish tablet with sugar, just enough milk to wet it (unlikely to affect you) and some vanilla powder. Bring to boil in a pot then let it cool and refrigerate until its solid.

peatarian

I once asked Ray Peat about food to store which would not go bad easily. It wasn't for hiking but because I thought it would be a good idea to have something to eat at home when the Euro-situation escalated. He said powdered milk was great. Otherwise he suggested I should buy some chickens and a goat.

I have a lot of dried beef, flavored with vinegar, salt and sugar. It tastes great. If you eat the meat with gelatine and drink coffee with it, you should be fine. You can dry it yourself (recipes online) but I ordered it from an Australian shop.
I have powdered potatoes, too. Lots of dried fruit (be sure to rinse your mouth with water and baking soda after eating it).
I avoid gluten because it causes lots of trouble for me.

Instant coffee of course. I would be careful with the coconut milk powder - it can be allergenic. Ray Peat only recommends the refined oil and the green coconut juice.
If you want to pack food like fresh fruit or cheese, make sure you vacuum it or put it in a bag with CO2.
Rice should work, too if you like it.

About milk - you've heard this interview? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/eastwesthe ... d-hormones

peatarian

nwo2012 said:
Home-made chocolate (sugar, baker's chocolate (cacao liquor) and sugar) is also good to carry around. You could have a large flask containing OJ, salt, sugar, baking soda and eggshell calcium. Cliff's list is pretty good, I always carry home-made tortilla's when Im on the go. You can make Scottish tablet with sugar, just enough milk to wet it (unlikely to affect you) and some vanilla powder. Bring to boil in a pot then let it cool and refrigerate until its solid.

I have tried to make my own chocolate ... bought the organic cocoa fruit and everything. After hours of hard work I had chocolate soup and looked like Eddie Murphy. Is there a trick?

pete

Ray Peat said:
I don’t recommend any dehydrated food, except in emergency, where they are convenient for transportation and storage, but as a regular thing dehydrated anything is a potential risk.

peatarian

pete said:
Ray Peat said:
I don’t recommend any dehydrated food, except in emergency, where they are convenient for transportation and storage, but as a regular thing dehydrated anything is a potential risk.

That's what we are talking about, isn't it? Food that can be stored for an emergency or transported easily.
I hope I didn't give the impression I would generally recommend it?

nwo2012

peatarian said:
nwo2012 said:

I have tried to make my own chocolate ... bought the organic cocoa fruit and everything. After hours of hard work I had chocolate soup and looked like Eddie Murphy. Is there a trick?

Not really. It is more like a crumbly fudge but still tastes good. I just use the unsweetened baker's chocolate
http://www.iherb.com/Ghirardelli-Premiu ... 13-g/33026
and some sugar (I grind the sugar to get it like icicng sugar so just buy that). You can add a little milk, just enough to wet the sugar into a thick paste. Then melt in the baker's chocolate. Then bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes but constantly stirring. Let it cool until it starts to thicken slightly. Mix again and pour into silicone mold. When it cools put into freezer until solid. Very easy. If I want it more like chocolate (not crumbly) I add some cacao butter. But then you have to stir as it cools until its very thick or the butter just sits on top.

nwo2012

peatarian said:
pete said:
Ray Peat said:

That's what we are talking about, isn't it? Food that can be stored for an emergency or transported easily.
I hope I didn't give the impression I would generally recommend it?

Yes, WTSHTF, I will even eat rice. (I have a few sacks stored for this purpose).

nwo2012

peatarian said:
Me too. And water of course.
I never drink it but WTSHTF I like to have some.

Yes completely agree. We distill ours (for cooking, coffee etc) to remove fluoride etc.
But I have a RO tap filter and a gravity fed filter on standby.

Back
Top Bottom