Peat Safe Cookware?

narouz

I was bummed out to find that the stainless steel cookware I've been using (thinking it was pretty safe) is actually really bad; turns out that--according to Dr. Peat--there is magnetic stainless steel and then there is non-magnetic stainless steel. The non-magnetic is bad--worse than aluminum or iron.

From "Irons Dangers" by Peat
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

"There are two main types of stainless steel, magnetic and nonmagnetic. The nonmagnetic form has a very high nickel content, and nickel is allergenic and carcinogenic. It is much more toxic than iron or aluminum. You can use a little "refrigerator magnet" to test your pans. The magnet will stick firmly to the safer type of pan."

Anybody have suggestions for brands of Magnetic (safe) stainless steel cookware?
Or other kinds of safe cookware?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
these are the set i have and that were recommended as peat friendly and this was the cheapest place I could find them online.

Farberware Millennium Tulip Shaped 10-Piece Set, Stainless
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042H ... B0042H8SJM

the kitchen magnet sticks to them inside and out i just tested it again. the quality is really good and i am extremely happy that i bought them.

ericrlepine

Try to get your hands on an old Corning Vision Ware set... I was lucky enough to find 2 used sets a few years back on Craigslist. They can be expensive, as they've turned into somewhat of a "retro collection" thing in some circles but, keep your eyes peeled and you'll surely find one :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Just googled those Corning Ware and now I totally remember seeing those before. That would be awesome to cook on pyrex if you could. Heck yeh! Nothing will be leaching from that set! Good call Eric. I checked craigslist in my area but didn't see any listed. I might keep checking.

OP
N

narouz

ericrlepine said:
Try to get your hands on an old Corning Vision Ware set... I was lucky enough to find 2 used sets a few years back on Craigslist. They can be expensive, as they've turned into somewhat of a "retro collection" thing in some circles but, keep your eyes peeled and you'll surely find one :)

Just so I'm understanding:
can you cook over a gas burner with that stuff?

Nick810

I use a Green Pan. No idea how safe it is though, gotta be better than most.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I was checking out those green pans because I need something to cook my eggs in. Have you cooked eggs in it? The stainless steel pans are kinda a pain in the butt for eggs. But for everything else they rock.

ericrlepine

narouz said:
ericrlepine said:

Just so I'm understanding:
can you cook over a gas burner with that stuff?

For sure!!!! But, don't just get the "Corning" stuff... You need to get Corning's Vision ware, which can sustain the high direct heat of stovetops. Otherwise, normal Corningware, which is just Pyrex, is only for the oven, and I can't vouch for how good that stuff would be for the direct high heat of stove tops...

nwo2012

The Mercola set is very safe but very expensive. Yes I know Dr M also is full of disinfo but it isnt all such.
RP says unchipped Teflon is safe though Id rather steer clear of that, but thats just me.
I have an orgreenic, pretty much the greenpan. I find it not too bad for eggs as long as plenty of coconut oil in their.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Awesome Nick! I really love my set. If you need any instructions on how to cook on them and how to limit the things from sticking let me know and I will find the sites that I got some good info from. There is actually a science to cooking on these things, love it!

OP
N

narouz

ericrlepine said:

I got a few of the Vision Ware things. Love them.
Got a giant pot for making bone broth.
And a small skillet and a couple of smaller pots.
They look cool and you can really use them like on a gas burner
with no explosions!
Thanks for the tip!

Nick810

Well I cooked a lamb chop on high last night and it burnt all the outsides which made it even tastier :p

But yea it sticks a bit so far.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh it does make some tasty crusts! I will look for those links in the next day or two. Little short for time right now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok, found one of the really great links which gets down to the science of it. Make sure you watch the video. I do the water thing all the time now, makes for a great conversation piece. And it truly works. Also, when cooking eggs(eggs seem to be the hardest thing to make not stick), make sure the eggs are at room temp, also, heat your pan up like the link tells you, then put your oil in, then put your room temp egg in. It takes some getting use to, but once you figure it out its so worth it.

http://www.houseboateats.com/2009/12/on ... r-pan.html

Ray-Z

Another alternative: Target has some Peat-friendly (i.e. magnetic) stainless steel cookware. (I'm not saying that all of their stainless steel cookware is magnetic, so bring your magnet when you shop.)

benni

My list of Peat Safe Cookware

I personally tested these with a magnet. They are magnetic from top to bottom. The following meet Ray Peat's rec's for stainless magnetic cookware:

All Clad
Sur La Table brand - excellent and just as good as All Clad but about 1/3 the price or less.
Calphalon Try Ply and Accucore models - also excellent but Sur La Table is better for the price
DeMeyer - overly expensive but top of the line if money isn't an object
Ikea "Favorit" (top of the Ikea line) and another of their mid-range brands whose name I forgot. By the way, the Favorit brand is very, very nice for low cost cookware. It isn't the cheaper stainless with the disc base attached, but rather has the aluminum core seamlessly encapsulated.

There are lots of companies selling cast iron enamel similar to Le Crueset but about 1/4 to 1/3 the price. This is something Peat would approve of as well. Examples of lower cost brands are Tramontina, Ikea and Lodge (all have 5 quart Dutch ovens in the $40-$60 range.) I have decided to go with the Sur La Table cookware plus a round enameled Dutch Oven and uber-large enameled covered saute/frying pan.

I bought the oven to use as a soup pot because, for the most part, soup's the only thing I really use acidic (tomato) foods in any longer. For bakeware, I've gone with ceramic, keeping a few stainless pieces I already had.

The following are either NOT magnetic at all, or are just partially magnetic - as required for induction cooktops (magnetic on the bottom exterior but not up the sides or interior):
Emeril Ware (for All Clad)
Tramontina - I wrote asking whether the news models would be magnetic/nickel free, because I'd read on Walmart site that "some were magnetic" for induction cooktop purposes. The company replied that they do not have, nor do they intend to make, nickel-free cookware. Keep in mind that Tramontina has been noted as being just as good as All Clad in a couple of chef/cooking related articles but it is NOT magnetic like All Clad.
Kirkland Signature
Dacor
Cuisinart

Checked all other stainless sets with a magnet at Walmart, Ikea, Sur La Table, and Macy's. The ones that were magnetic are listed above, but I didn't write down the names of all the brands that failed the test. I think T-Fal was also on the list of fails. Generally, the cheaper stuff isn't going to be magnetic, except for the Ikea line, which I highly recommend to anyone with serious budget constraints.

Hope this helps someone.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Benni, welcome to the forum!

Thats a great list, thank you!

I need something to fry eggs in. What do you guys and gals think of these "green pans"?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/orgree ... __&adtype={adtype}&Kpid=prod6090562&sst=410fedeb-ea4f-3409-52ab-00004140332c&SL_ClientGroup=1