Peat Safe Cookware?

Bootselectric

So unless I'm mistaken, 18/0, nickel-free stainless steel is the only safe grade? Finding such cookware, let alone without any coatings/nonstick has been a real pain.
At least for cooking pots there is IKEA‘s 365 Series which I am going to purchase.

Pans are another story…

rayban

Untreated/unpainted wood is safer than nylon or silicone in terms of heat, but I do suppose it could maybe scratch a pan easier.
This link, and the whole site, is super useful for cookware and the topics ITT.

I still don't know what to buy.

Is this good?
Amazon product ASIN B000Z2FZR6View: https://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Affinity-11-Inch-Frypan-Stainless/dp/B000Z2FZR6/ref=sr_1_16?crid=29AK1RVQYZATG&keywords=le+buyer+affinity&qid=1645401444&sprefix=le+buyer+affinit%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-16

rayban

Untreated/unpainted wood is safer than nylon or silicone in terms of heat, but I do suppose it could maybe scratch a pan easier.

From that link:

“But I heard stainless steel is not safe.”

I have reviewed several of the published papers summarizing experiments on stainless steel that demonstrate the potential for metals (primarily Nickel and possibly Chromium) to leach from stainless steel pots and pans into the food being cooked in those vessels. From what I have read on this subject, these experiments tend to set up circumstances that are not representative of normal usage of these pans. These studies seem to (across the board) use EXTENDED (not normal/typical) cooking times, AND the most acidic foods possible (tomatoes / tomato sauce), in an effort to see how much of various metals can possibly be extracted from the pans. So, with this context, I don’t have concern for NORMAL use of stainless pans.

Exceptions for medical conditions

Of course, if you have a diagnosed Nickel allergy, I do recommend finding low-Nickel (or Nickel-free) sources of stainless steel (Ikea has inexpensive choices that fit the bill and there are some other examples here on the blog as well), but otherwise I do not personally have a concern when stainless steel products are used as intended. Also, of course, if you have hemochromatosis (and therefore a specific diagnosed medical reason to be concerned for the use of cast Iron cookware), all cast iron should be avoided. [I am not a doctor, but that’s what the medical experts say!]

Tapioca

Thank you for that link. What a wonderful blog with intensive testing and in-depth information. Absolutely amazing website.

*I sound like a shill lol but after spending way too much time & worrying researching cookware, this link is a lifesaver*

rayban

Thank you for that link. What a wonderful blog with intensive testing and in-depth information. Absolutely amazing website.

*I sound like a shill lol but after spending way too much time & worrying researching cookware, this link is a lifesaver*
So what did you end up buying? I was getting too stressed with that much text so im going to go for the Ozeri Professional nonstick with exoglass matfer stuff from France for the utensils if I can find non knockoff ones.

Tapioca

So what did you end up buying? I was getting too stressed with that much text so im going to go for the Ozeri Professional nonstick with exoglass matfer stuff from France for the utensils if I can find non knockoff ones.
Nothing yet. Awhile back I emailed Tamara about the cheap lead-free Cuisinart set she recommends. I asked if it's lead-free as well as other metals like copper, cadmium, etc. She hasn't answered and it's been about 1 month since I sent the email. In defense of the set, she had purchased it for her son to use at college. I assume she wouldn't have bought it for him if it contained other metals.

If I had thousands to drop on a cooking set I would buy the SOLIDTEKNICS brand.

Check out this link for her recommendations Q. I want to buy some nontoxic cookware, which pots & pans are the safest for cooking? Which pots & pans are the least toxic?

FitnessMike

rayban

Nothing yet. Awhile back I emailed Tamara about the cheap lead-free Cuisinart set she recommends. I asked if it's lead-free as well as other metals like copper, cadmium, etc. She hasn't answered and it's been about 1 month since I sent the email. In defense of the set, she had purchased it for her son to use at college. I assume she wouldn't have bought it for him if it contained other metals.

If I had thousands to drop on a cooking set I would buy the SOLIDTEKNICS brand.

Check out this link for her recommendations Q. I want to buy some nontoxic cookware, which pots & pans are the safest for cooking? Which pots & pans are the least toxic?
I ended up buying the ozeri professional, it's hand made in germany and the anti adherent has none of the usual chemicals and works pretty good. Im sure if I buy some of these pans the food will stick and it will be annoying to use.

Lollipop2

I ended up buying the ozeri professional, it's hand made in germany and the anti adherent has none of the usual chemicals and works pretty good. Im sure if I buy some of these pans the food will stick and it will be annoying to use.
That Ozeri looks interesting. How are you liking it?

Lollipop2

It's pretty good. Feels solid, the food doesn't stick. However people that don't want antiadherents will not like it. But I didn't find a convincing alternative.
I saw the reviews on Amazon - the biggest negative reviews were that it didn’t last with normal use. Others say is the best pan they have ever had :):

My dream is the copper core set from All Clad. But whew ? expensive. Sometime this summer I will make a decision on my next cookware.

Amazoniac

- Purity of food cooked in stainless steel utensils

1651961312876.png

1651961344392.png

Tapioca

I found a company that makes Nickel-Free Pots and pans. They are called Homichef. They aren’t overly expensive either, I bought a full set for $200+

The pans are nonstick so it is more annoying cooking with them.

Lollipop2

I found a company that makes Nickel-Free Pots and pans. They are called Homichef. They aren’t overly expensive either, I bought a full set for $200+

The pans are nonstick so it is more annoying cooking with them.
The Nickel free is interesting. I looked it up and read reviews on their site. People either love the Homichef or hate it - lol - very few middle of the road reviews. Other than annoying cooking with them, any other details of your experience?

Tapioca

The Nickel free is interesting. I looked it up and read reviews on their site. People either love the Homichef or hate it - lol - very few middle of the road reviews. Other than annoying cooking with them, any other details of your experience?

Mmm it is annoying compared to how we cook now. Honestly it’s not bad though, just want to be extra careful to not scratch them or else I would replace it. Which it isn’t expensive to replace 1 pot but it does add up if you need to constantly replace them.

Well you want to use utensils that won’t scratch stainless steel (this goes for all pots and pans though). I know there are Amish cooking utensils sold online where they are made with clean wood and no lacquer. Then there are bamboo, glass, and silicone. I don’t trust silicone. I went with bamboo for now but I plan on upgrading to Amish ones.

Cooking is a bit of a pain but honestly not too bad. If you care about having a spotless frying pan you might have a problem. No high heat, max medium. You do want to let refrigerated food warm up for 10 minutes before putting it onto the pan. And you want to make sure the pan is proper temp before oiling it. You do that by letting a droplet of water fall on the pan- if it beads up and bounces around your pan is ready!

I believe cooking with the pots is mostly the same as normal pots. You want to use max medium heat only. Again, no scratch utensils.
Oh and you must wait ~1 hour until the pots and pans cool down completely before running water over them.

Lifespan on these pots and pans I am expecting is less than Nickel infused ones. I don’t really know though.

Finally, Homichef recommends handcleaning only because dishwashers might leave water spots. I could care less about water spots.

From what I read online, chefs say cooking with Nickel-free stainless steel is mostly how a good cook cooks anyways. We are spoiled with nonstick pans and the ability to use high heat.

The only reason I can see people hating them is because the handles aren’t Nickle-Free………………………………………………. That does piss me off too

Last edited:

tastyfood

I've been using an All-Clad (name of the brand) copper core pot for a few weeks. Very expensive. Hard to clean. I use it to cook oat bran in the morning and some of it always gets stuck. It's a process.

I also purchased a stainless steel sauce pan from Cuisinart that had good reviews. I needed something cheaper for non-intensive cooking meals like hot chocolate, or boiling eggs.

There was a very comprehensive comment either in this thread or another one about the Nickel-free ones being less durable, so I opted for high quality brands 18/10 types instead.

I purchased some wooden utensils that don't have a finish as well.

Lollipop2

Mmm it is annoying compared to how we cook now. Honestly it’s not bad though, just want to be extra careful to not scratch them or else I would replace it. Which it isn’t expensive to replace 1 pot but it does add up if you need to constantly replace them.

Well you want to use utensils that won’t scratch stainless steel (this goes for all pots and pans though). I know there are Amish cooking utensils sold online where they are made with clean wood and no lacquer. Then there are bamboo, glass, and silicone. I don’t trust silicone. I went with bamboo for now but I plan on upgrading to Amish ones.

Cooking is a bit of a pain but honestly not too bad. If you care about having a spotless frying pan you might have a problem. No high heat, max medium. You do want to let refrigerated food warm up for 10 minutes before putting it onto the pan. And you want to make sure the pan is proper temp before oiling it. You do that by letting a droplet of water fall on the pan- if it beads up and bounces around your pan is ready!

I believe cooking with the pots is mostly the same as normal pots. You want to use max medium heat only. Again, no scratch utensils.
Oh and you must wait ~1 hour until the pots and pans cool down completely before running water over them.

Lifespan on these pots and pans I am expecting is less than Nickel infused ones. I don’t really know though.

Finally, Homichef recommends handcleaning only because dishwashers might leave water spots. I could care less about water spots.

From what I read online, chefs say cooking with Nickel-free stainless steel is mostly how a good cook cooks anyways. We are spoiled with nonstick pans and the ability to use high heat.

The only reason I can see people hating them is because the handles aren’t Nickle-Free………………………………………………. That does piss me off too
Hey thanks for this extra explanation! I appreciate you taking the time. I must say I am curious…

:M :B.

Ozeri vs. GreenPan

In my experience Ozeri failed big time. A friend of mine used one and the non-stick began coming off at the brim/lip of the pan. That was enough for me to demonize every pan they ever made. Although some people do seem to think they are good.

I have one GreenPan and it looks and feels exactly the same as it did when I bought it years ago which makes me think it is stable.

I gotta have something nonstick for oatmeal & eggs. Hopefully I am not poisoning my life away.

rayban

Ozeri vs. GreenPan

In my experience Ozeri failed big time. A friend of mine used one and the non-stick began coming off at the brim/lip of the pan. That was enough for me to demonize every pan they ever made. Although some people do seem to think they are good.

I have one GreenPan and it looks and feels exactly the same as it did when I bought it years ago which makes me think it is stable.

I gotta have something nonstick for oatmeal & eggs. Hopefully I am not poisoning my life away.
which ozeri? mine look good so far. There are handcraft ones and other cheaper ones I think made in china so look out.