Peat Safe Cookware?

Lilac

How about a copper pan?

In Generative Energy, Ray writes about using a copper pan "to increase . . . copper intake and to avoid iron absorbed from an iron pan." (He was doing a hair-color restoration experiment on himself.) The experiment wound up, and he stopped using the copper pan. "The taste gets very tiresome."

So: copper pan, safe but tiresome.

Ideonaut

Benni, welcome to the forum!

Thats a great list, thank you!

I need something to fry eggs in. What do you guys and gals think of these "green pans"?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/orgree ... __&adtype={adtype}&Kpid=prod6090562&sst=410fedeb-ea4f-3409-52ab-00004140332c&SL_ClientGroup=1
Glass sauce pans are nice but new ones are expensive! Peat said he cooked in a copper pan to get extra copper but quit because it gave the food an off taste. If I could find a copper pan that didn't cost an arm and a leg I'd try it. I mean copper on the inside, of course

marko9437

If I could find a copper pan that didn't cost an arm and a leg I'd try it. I mean copper on the inside, of course
I have access to one that is cheap but I'm afraid maybe that means it would have impurities and traces of bad metals.

But I'm not a metallurgist, I don't know the process how they are made or if coppers binds with these other substances.

Amazoniac

- Rivets vs Welds | CenturyLife.org

Rivets are unnecessary and annoying, exposure to them should be discouraged as drugs. I don't think that people will be cooking and lifting Jorge's brain to be worried about welds detaching. And like they mentioned, in case it happens, there are multiple points of attachment that prevent an accident. Industrial pans with decades of warranty are made this way. You can ask manufacturers to pierce their nipples instead of the containers that you're going to use.

LA

these are the set i have and that were recommended as peat friendly and this was the cheapest place I could find them online.

Farberware Millennium Tulip Shaped 10-Piece Set, Stainless
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042H ... B0042H8SJM

the kitchen magnet sticks to them inside and out i just tested it again. the quality is really good and i am extremely happy that i bought them.
Looks like a good find Charlie. Thanks for the heads-up

LA

I think the ceramic coating Green Pan is convenient and probably safe.
Maybe not we have 2 of them and when the smaller one we were using the most started making the meat taste 'weird' first we blamed it on the meat - the second time I started looking around - and found this"

GreenPan Class Action Says Non-Stick Pans Contain Toxins
A class action lawsuit claims that The Cookware Company advertises its non-stick GreenPans as being “completely toxin free,” when they actually emit toxins.

Plaintiff Anna Saldivar states that the GreenPans are also falsely advertised as being “healthy ceramic non-stick,” and containing “no PFO, PFAS, lead or cadmium.”

However, “GreenPan Products are not, in fact, ‘COMPLETELY TOXIN FREE!’, but contain compounds that are known to be toxic,” contends the GreenPan class action lawsuit. “Upon information and belief, the patent for ‘Thermolon™’ coating, which is applied to every GreenPan Product, contains several known toxins.”

According to the GreenPan class action, GreenPans contain several known toxins; silane, aluminum oxide, tetraethoxysilane, methyltrimethoxysilane, and potassium titanate. These substances, says the plaintiff, are known to cause health problems.

The Cookware Company makes several other false claims about its line of GreenPan cookware, according to the plaintiff.
[snip and view full article on link below]

We basically stopped using the pans that day. Here is another link from that day of searching. I have not done any searches since:

marko9437

Maybe not we have 2 of them and when the smaller one we were using the most started making the meat taste 'weird' first we blamed it on the meat - the second time I started looking around - and found this"

Thanks for the find. That's exactly the pan I got a few weeks ago. Gonna read these articles to see if I threw $35 down the drain.

LA

What is the consensus on some safe cookware that we can use?
Since many people have different choices it might be best to read through the various postings on this thread, other cooking-ware threads and also here:

Mostly we use a 302-18-8 Pluramelt Flavorseal by Cory. Zirconium Stainless Steel skillet. The problem with those pans is that the smaller ones we have need replacement handles, which was a flaw I guess as many hardware stores used to sell replacement handles for them
The easiest to store and use are our vintage squarish shaped Corning Ware with the see through clear Pyrex tops . For larger meals we use the one that has this printed under the handle: A-34-B Quart, Range - Oven Microwave - Corning NY. USA 378 and medium and smaller ones if needed .
Once in a while we use the Amber Vision Corning made in France (more pinkish color) and or the browner tinted ones made in New York. They are kind of wobbly and we do not prefer them.
Lately I have remembered about how great it was when my mom cooked bacon in those old iron cowboy-type pans. Although iron pans are supposed to be very bad for us according to Dr. Peat.

bagotage

If anyone is using clay cookware (I recommend Miriam's Earthen Cookware, they do lab testing of all their clay for heavy metals, etc.), I just discovered that knit hemp rags work really well for cleaning (you need to use natural materials, with baking soda instead of soap, to scrub them, but I've noticed that natural sponge scrubbers tend to degrade really quickly). There's some on Amazon (probably elsewhere too) for not too much.

bagotage

Discovered Miriam's in the comments here:

Article is worth a read IMO.

Mary Lyn

Vajra

So unless I'm mistaken, 18/0, nickel-free stainless steel is the only safe grade? Finding such cookware, let alone without any coatings/nonstick has been a real pain.

Last edited:

SuperStressed

I have a teflon non-stick pan, peat says it should be ok as long as it isnt scratched.

The question is, whats the safest utensil to use to flip burgers without scratching the pan?

Metal will scratch it, so you have Nylon, Wood or Silicone. Which is the safest?

Vajra

I have a teflon non-stick pan, peat says it should be ok as long as it isnt scratched.

The question is, whats the safest utensil to use to flip burgers without scratching the pan?

Metal will scratch it, so you have Nylon, Wood or Silicone. Which is the safest?
Untreated/unpainted wood is safer than nylon or silicone in terms of heat, but I do suppose it could maybe scratch a pan easier.
This link, and the whole site, is super useful for cookware and the topics ITT.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals