Peat Safe Cookware?

Discussion in 'Cookware, Microwave' started by narouz, Jul 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. marcar72

marcar72 Member

I prefer Corning Visions or whatever it's called; glass cookware made by Corning back in the 1990's and earlier. It's not on the market anymore because too many peeps were doing crazy stuff with it like taking it out of the freezer then microwaving it. Caused some of them to blow up due to thermal shock. Use them normal and with some common sense though and they're awesome! I got a 10" skillet with lid and like a 2 or 3 quart pot with lid. That's all I need.

I'm making some Hamburber Hash in them as I speak... :D

2. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

3. burtlancast

burtlancast Member

Thanks for your research.
    Concerning The Lodge, i've read some of the negative comments on Amazon, and it seems there's a reason it's sold at such low price...

4. BingDing

BingDing Member

I read that study quite awhile ago, it was more on point than anything I had found. I'm not gonna second guess RP based on that post, though. Ignoring the several illogical statements in it, the abstract from this study shows that nickel is leached from stainless steel.

And even if food does contain some nickel, ingesting more of it doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Chromium is a trace element that we need, it is important in glucose/insulin metabolism. I have no idea if chromium from cookware is usable biologically.

My 18/00 pot that I boil water in every day is showing some rust. I found one reference that says it is the ferric form, not ferrous, and unavailable to the body. I have to do more research on it.

5. sm1693

sm1693 Member

This glass cookware marcar has recommended is the cat's pajamas. It's true what they say, once you go glass, you'll never go back.

6. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

7. HealthisWealth

HealthisWealth Member

How about ceramic and porcelain pans?

8. zztr

zztr Member

Just don't use the stove and this isn't much of a problem. Ceramics or pyrex in the microwave and in the oven. Problem solved.

I never cook anything on the stove top. Eggs cook fine in the microwave. I put two in a bowl, scramble them a bit and add a piece of cheese, and micrwave on 3 for six minutes. They come out fine. No pan cleanup, either, just toss the bowl in the dishwasher.

9. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

10. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

11. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

12. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    Great insight. Thank you for sharing.

HOMI CHEF has nickel-free 18/0 stainless steel cookware, and they have the best prices.

13. HealthisWealth

HealthisWealth Member

i read here in the forum but having a hard time finding the post about luminarc that is made from france is much better because of the different material use than other luminarc sold in the other countries?

how do you know if its made from france?

14. smith

smith Member

Would be nice if there were nickel-free WOKS or just safe large, deep and smoothly-curved pans that existed, rather than these shallow skillets and weird 90 degree-angle edge pans. Really difficult to stir-fry 2 cups of rice and veggies in a steep 8-inch pan that's 2 inches high or a skillet with no curve, but it's not impossible i guess

15. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

16. smith

smith Member

It's back on the market, though there is some suspicion that the USA versions have tested positive for lead, while the French (and obviously original) versions are lead-free.
    not sure if advertisement

17. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Member

I used to use Corning Visions until one day cooking something the pot exploded like a bomb. Good thing I was not hit by the glass. When I looked into the problem it turned out this had happened to other owners of Visions. I am once bitten twice shy now to use it again, but before that I really liked the pots. Maybe someday I will try them again, but I want to look into that issue first.
    Another thing I own and like is the VitaClay cooker, which is an automatic cooker that uses a natural clay pot, so no chemicals to be leached.

18. postman

postman Member

Doesn't clay get its red color from iron? That can't be good. Were you doing anything funny to your visions cookware or did it just explode for no reason

19. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Member

On the Visions, no, I was just cooking as usual and bam, it was like a bomb went off. That was years before the internet, but since that time I had read that other people were experiencing that problem. I really like the Visions and was disappointed, maybe the problem has been corrected, I should look into it. From the information I had read, the clay is inert and doesn't leach anything into the food, but I don't have extensive knowledge about that, and maybe I should dig a bit deeper into that question. I would assume that the VitaClay, if it did have iron, it would have much less than cast iron cookware.

20. HealthisWealth

HealthisWealth Member

how about just plain cast iron?