Peat Safe Cookware?

:M :B.

which ozeri? mine look good so far. There are handcraft ones and other cheaper ones I think made in china so look out.
Dang. Good call. The one I was talking about is cheap and says that the coating is from Germany but it is assembled in China. So that could very well explain it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Link to the one NOT to get:
Amazon product ASIN B00W8FM8UAView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8FM8UA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

ddjd

Good article on stainless steel issues

I almost bought an instant pot🙆

baron

I searched the whole internet to find the answer to this, as surprisingly, nobody here gives the full answer. Finally I found it, so I thought I'd come back here and post my findings.

First of all, Peat's information to buy stainless steel that sticks with a magnet is nothing but provacative and is frustratingly uninformative. 18/10 (300 series) and 18/0 (400 series) cookware both stick to magnets (they're made that way to work on induction cooktops), however the 400 series sticks much stronger because of the lack of nickel. Because of Peat's concern for nickel, you'd assume he means to get the 400 series, which has 0% nickel, instead of the 300 series, which is 10% nickel. However, after significant research, I'd get the 300 over the 400.

Here's what you need to know:
Probably the safest cookware isn't Stainless Steel- it's enameled cast iron. Enameled Cast Iron is perfectly safe as long as the interior of the dish is white - the lack of color very likely indicating a lack of lead in the enamal (colored enamels more often have lead). Le Creuset makes a model but it's super expensive. The Lodge makes one that's nearly as good at 1/6 the price. http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D43-Enam ... ql_qh_dp_t

Second best option is Stainless Steel. Obviously you can't buy the cheapo 200 series, which releases a bunch of metal. So you're left choosing between the 300 (18/10) and 400 (18/0) series. The 400 series can have as low as >1% Nickel, which sounds like a great option. But here's the problem... it's much more corrosive than the 300 series, and although there's no nickel to leach in the 400 series, it has higher total release rates of metal than the 300 series, with the vast majority of the release being iron. (This info can be found in page 30 of the study provided in the forthcoming link.) Lastly, it's very hard to find pans that are 18/0 on the exterior and interior. Typically they'll be 18/0 on the exterior (for induction) and 18/10 on the interior. The only one I found that MIGHT be 18/0 on the inside and out is the Farberware Millenium Set, but honestly I don't care. A good quality 300 series (like All-Clad) is a better option. Once the sets are scratched, pitted, corroded and damaged, the release rates of metals is much higher. A quality 300 series set could last multiple lifetimes with little wear. The 400 series isn't likely to last 10 years without damage.

The remainder of my response is lifted from the comments section of gnowfglins.com's article on The Scoop on Stainless Steel Cookware, written by user Holly Gates. It sums it all up nicely:

300 series stainless is generally speaking more corrosion resistant than 400 series, meaning that less of the metal would get into your food).

Here is a very pertinent survey conducted by the government of Finland in 2010:

http://www.ttl.fi/en/publications/elect ... _steel.pdf

The study, titled “Review on Toxicity of Stainless Steel” is 87 pages long, with several dense pages of references at the end. For each potential area of concern with stainless affecting human health in every situations, the findings of numerous scientific studies are assessed and evaluated in light of EU guidelines for toxic material exposure. Whether or not you put any stock in the EU guidelines, the amounts and types of material which are found to transfer from stainless to food are interesting to think about.

As pointed out by others here, the main constituents of the stainless steels used in foodware are (300 and 400 series) are iron, nickel, and chromium. The materials of potential concern would be the nickel and chromium. In these alloys, the availability of nickel is found to be less than 0.1% of what it would be from a similar proportion of bulk nickel metal. The exception is alloy variants with sulfur added, typically to enhance machinability. These are not used for foodware. Even people hypersensitive to nickel (i.e. skin allergy) experience no reaction from intimate and lengthy contact with 304 or 316 stainless.

The availability of chromium however is approximately equal to what would be predicted given its proportion of the alloy. The question is how much chromium is coming off the metal during typical food preparation and storage activities.

The Finnish report finds that for medium to high pH range, even at cooking temperatures and with prolonged storage, essentially nothing transfers from the stainless to the food. Low pH materials result in some transfer.

One study cited in the report looked at storage of pickled lemon in stainless, which is lower pH than almost anything else you would think of using in the kitchen (pH 2.1). Kombucha is 3-4, pure white vinegar is 2.4. Other studies looked at prolonged boiling of low-ish ph foods in stainless. What was generally the result was that while some chromium and nickel transferred to the food, the actual amount was something like 10 times less than typical intake of these metals from the food itself (25ug/kg food is typical).

Exceptions are with the first few uses of new pots, and with some types of welds.

Many surgical implants and medical devices are made from 316L. This is because it is among the least reactive materials with biological systems that can be produced and worked at a reasonable cost.

To me, knowing that my food itself contains 10x the amount of what is coming off my pot makes me feel quite comfortable with the safety of my 304 stainless.

------

I hope this lays this issue to bed once and for all. For those of you wondering, here's the set I wound up purchasing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00421 ... UTF8&psc=1
Pretty funny that in 2014, a stainless steel industry shill infilatrated this forum and posted 1 message, DEBOONKING Peat and at the end shilling his shitty nickel containing pans. The lengths these people go to.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals