Peat Principles for Dog Health

shanny

Forum Supporter
I am posting this thread not only to help our precious four-legged friends, but also as a reminder to never stray away from "perceive, think, act." I recently had a stressful few months caring for my dog, which was a result of me not listening to my instincts and unfortunately allowing mainstream health initiatives to cloud my thinking. The back story is that when I got my dog as a puppy, the situation he came from wasn't the greatest. They had given him a bunch of quaxines at a very young age and were feeding him high-PUFA, rancid smelling puppy food. I immediately started feeding him better food, including mostly a homemade diet with some raw food and bones included and he seemed very healthy. Fast-forward 6 months, and my state requires a rabies booster. Every fiber of my being told me that this was a bad idea, and I was advocating for a titer (most dogs actually have immunity passed down from their mothers) but my vet was very convincing that this was necessary and he'd be fine. This is where I went wrong, I should have taken my dog and walked out of that office because I knew better. Instead, I allowed him to give my dog the jab.

About a week later, he had his first seizure. Mercury, aluminum, etc are in the jabs they give dogs, just like the ones they give humans. I knew that this was why he was having seizures, so I jumped into action and did what I knew to do with diet and supplementation and he seemed to be doing much better. Then I made my second bad choice, and listened to people in the dog world that advocate for an "all meat" dog diet. This included organs, venison, beef, duck, etc., some raw, some cooked. About a month after having him on this strict meat diet, I started to notice strange behaviors, almost like a child with ADHD. He had no attention span, would get really wound up and not be able to calm down, and then once again had some mini seizures, and then one final major seizure that made me realize something was really wrong. I won't go into the many vet visits I attended, and the lack of help/knowledge that's out there, because anyone that's on this forum is well aware of that at this point.

I am thankful for a dear forum friend @Peatful that encouraged me to right the ship with Ray Peat principles and reminded me to turn to the people we can trust. Go back to basics, reduce endotoxin, increase energy production and rest. Dogs and humans have very similar digestive tracts and energy production, probably why they are "man's best friend." We coexist because we need the same things. A week of bone broth, root veggies, cooked fruit, gelatin, egg yolks, raw goat's milk and a bit of antibiotics and he's sleeping soundly, calmer, eliminating three times per day and is back to his energetic self. I'm hoping that he continues to improve and heal, and that I can avoid any more neurological episodes, especially seizures.

I welcome any other thoughts as to how to continue to help him heal and prevent any further seizure activity.

Peatful

Following.

qminati

i have a 4 month old who has been having muscle spasms since I got her 2 months ago. The vets have said everything from hiccups to acid reflux, its clear they dont know what they are talking about. I believe these vaccines cause a lot of issues for a lot of puppies while we are told they are just born that way. I am switching to the BARF diet with plenty of fruits and honey added. I used a service that made a mixture of carrots, chicken and beef bone broth that has almost stopped all nasty farts almost immediately and she cant get enough of it and seems way more coherent and less "animal like" in her energy spurts. I used cooked grass-fed ground beef as treats and she even loves it frozen which allows me to not worry about it getting old. I use an anxiety pad that they lick on to feed her mashed papayas which she also loves.
The lady on the farm that I buy my honey from told me that she has a client that gives her dog honey every day because it is the ONLY thing that prevents seizures. Im convinced dogs need sugar just like we do. They also vary from dog to dog just like we do so there is no one size fits all. There are dogs out there that seem very happy with no sugar in their diet, yet others that seem like their bodies are starving for sugar as they are full of medical issues.
Fruits and honey for the win basically. And if i do use processed food i only use Taste of the Wild which seems to be the least toxic i can find.

Fred

I sometimes give my dogs a choice of food at one sitting, assuming their instincts will guide them to make the appropriate choice. Also, beef liver is cheap and easy to serve (just chop it up while it's still semi-frozen) ... possibly one of the best supplementary foods for animals/people. You can also shine some red or incandescent light on your dog for a half an hour, maybe while he's sleeping. Light helps with seizures, according to Ray.

qminati

I sometimes give my dogs a choice of food at one sitting, assuming their instincts will guide them to make the appropriate choice. Also, beef liver is cheap and easy to serve (just chop it up while it's still semi-frozen) ... possibly one of the best supplementary foods for animals/people. You can also shine some red or incandescent light on your dog for a half an hour, maybe while he's sleeping. Light helps with seizures, according to Ray.

I believe red light can help seizures but its very important to be careful not to overdose as it can crash blood sugar and make things worse. I would shoot for 3 minutes of red light rather than 30 or use a BR40 and do 30 minutes with that one, but there is a threshold. I did 10 minutes on my puppy once who has some hypo issues apparently and she woke up wobbly headed and it was clear to me she was experiencing a blood sugar crash. 3 minutes on the other hand i haven't had any issues. I only do it close to when they just ate to be safe from crashing blood sugar as red light is known to do.

Fred

I believe red light can help seizures but its very important to be careful not to overdose as it can crash blood sugar and make things worse. I would shoot for 3 minutes of red light rather than 30 or use a BR40 and do 30 minutes with that one, but there is a threshold. I did 10 minutes on my puppy once who has some hypo issues apparently and she woke up wobbly headed and it was clear to me she was experiencing a blood sugar crash. 3 minutes on the other hand i havent had any issues.

You're right. Light seems to be a pretty powerful metabolic stimulant, so if the nutrition is not there to support the increased metabolic activity, it could be a problem.

Green Dot

i have a 4 month old who has been having muscle spasms since I got her 2 months ago. The vets have said everything from hiccups to acid reflux, its clear they dont know what they are talking about. I believe these vaccines cause a lot of issues for a lot of puppies while we are told they are just born that way. I am switching to the BARF diet with plenty of fruits and honey added. I used a service that made a mixture of carrots, chicken and beef bone broth that has almost stopped all nasty farts almost immediately and she cant get enough of it and seems way more coherent and less "animal like" in her energy spurts. I used cooked grass-fed ground beef as treats and she even loves it frozen which allows me to not worry about it getting old. I use an anxiety pad that they lick on to feed her mashed papayas which she also loves.
The lady on the farm that I buy my honey from told me that she has a client that gives her dog honey every day because it is the ONLY thing that prevents seizures. Im convinced dogs need sugar just like we do. They also vary from dog to dog just like we do so there is no one size fits all. There are dogs out there that seem very happy with no sugar in their diet, yet others that seem like their bodies are starving for sugar as they are full of medical issues.
Fruits and honey for the win basically. And if i do use processed food i only use Taste of the Wild which seems to be the least toxic i can find.
Hmm, it is common knowledge that all living things need glucose, I wonder where the notion of certain animals being strictly carnivorous, for example, is based on then.

qminati

Hmm, it is common knowledge that all living things need glucose, I wonder where the notion of certain animals being strictly carnivorous, for example, is based on then.
the same industry that tells hypoglycemic people to avoid sugar. They didn't avoid the lucrative pet market at all. Most vets will tell you that sugar is bad and can hurt your pet.

HighT

Would have been great if the only problem in pet foods was the lack of sugar. These foods are literally made from euthanised dogs cats road kills etc. And all the pufas you know it.

Ericphilly

Great post! Thanks for starting this.

So what do most dog owners feed their doggies? I have a two year old goldendoodle and have bounced between the 80/20 raw diet and half that half orijen kibble mixed in with fruits and pumpkin.

OP
S

shanny

Forum Supporter
What is the food service that you use? I have basically been making batches of "stew" that sound a lot like that, but it would be nice to have a back-up in the freezer for when I'm in a hurry or traveling!

Thank you for the quote about honey. I've actually never offered him honey, but there is a local bee keeper on my street and I'm going to grab some today and see if he likes it.

Is your dog still having muscle spasms? I truly believe that these neurological mishaps or excitatory responses are from heavy metal toxicity. I did a few things for heavy metal detox that I believe helped with the mercury that is most common in quaxines but also most commonly high with neurological events such as seizures.

OP
S

shanny

Forum Supporter
Great post! Thanks for starting this.

So what do most dog owners feed their doggies? I have a two year old goldendoodle and have bounced between the 80/20 raw diet and half that half orijen kibble mixed in with fruits and pumpkin.
If your dog tolerates the raw diet, that is definitely best with the addition of root vegetables, squashes/pumpkin and fruit. I also use gelatin if he's not getting bones in his diet, and raw goat's milk.

I personally don't give my dog any kibble because of the fish oils/seed oils. There are a few companies that make freeze-dried foods that don't have the bad oils.

qminati

What is the food service that you use? I have basically been making batches of "stew" that sound a lot like that, but it would be nice to have a back-up in the freezer for when I'm in a hurry or traveling!

Thank you for the quote about honey. I've actually never offered him honey, but there is a local bee keeper on my street and I'm going to grab some today and see if he likes it.

Is your dog still having muscle spasms? I truly believe that these neurological mishaps or excitatory responses are from heavy metal toxicity. I did a few things for heavy metal detox that I believe helped with the mercury that is most common in quaxines but also most commonly high with neurological events such as seizures.

I live in Colombia and use a BARF service here that delivers every 2 weeks. The transition food was a combo of bone broth, chicken and carrots which looked like orange mashed potatoes. My puppy LOVED it and surprisingly witihin 2 days her bowels were better formed, her farts were less and not as smelly and her mood was better. today was the first day of raw beef. It has pieces of veggies, chicken and heart in it. I was instructed to give her a spoonful of plain greek yogurt once a day as well for 10 days. The puppy loved it as well and kept asking for more. Plus i got a side bonus of pig heart in dried jerky form. Thankfully this company has years of experience and I am learning a lot from them, they have a history of satisfied customers.
As for the spasms, they are all convinced its hiccups, i guess its possible to have hiccups in your sleep. Im not so convinced but may be overreacting but im keeping my eyes on it.

qminati

since you are curious about the BARF diet, ill copy and paste the menu the company i use had me choose from, i went with the beef package, but here are the others. It is translated from spanish to english so there may be some mistakes:

We share the feeding proposal for LILA with which we will take care of her physiological needs and as we go along we will enrich her health and well-being.

DAILY RATION: 600g.
Suggested feeding TIME: 3 times, divided into breakfast, noon and afternoon.

As he adapts to the food, the ration will be adjusted to find the perfect balance according to the stage the dog is in:

1. Essential PIG formula, composed of:
ground chicken meaty bone, muscle meat and pork heart. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables without carrot.
Total $104.832 before tax
Weight per serving: 400g
Servings: 24 units
Duration: 14 days.

2. Essential CHICKEN formula, composed of:
ground chicken meaty bone and chicken muscle meat. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables.
Total $104.8832 before VAT
Serving Qty: 24 units
Shelf life: 14 days

3. Essential BEEF formula, composed of:
ground chicken meaty bone, heart and muscle beef. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables.
Total $105.84 before tax

4. Essential formula of PORK MONOPROTEIC, composed of:
ground meaty bone, heart, muscle meat and pork viscera. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables without carrot.
Total $177.760 before VAT.
Duration: 16 days

5. LAMB essential formula, composed of:
ground meaty bone, heart, muscle meat and lamb viscera. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables.
Total $193.600 before VAT
Weight per portion: 400g
Servings: 12 units
Duration: 8 days

6. Essential formula of RABBIT, composed of:
ground meaty bone, heart, muscle meat and rabbit viscera. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables.
Total $237.600 before VAT

WE RECOMMEND to supplement their diet to support their immune system and provide essential micronutrients by means of:
Bone broth
Spirulina
Salmon capsules
Goat milk kefir
Bone jelly

TO PREMIUM IT, with high value protein sources:
Dehydrated trout
Dehydrated pork heart.
Dehydrated lamb leg.
Recreational beef femur bones 2 times a month.

AT HOME:
- In between or at one of the meals provide a pureed fruit accompanied by unsweetened Greek yogurt interspersed with some of our cow and goat kefir.
- The weeks that formulas 1, 2, and 3 are provided, supplement their daily rations with our pâté of fine chicken viscera or with the viscera that you have at home, it should be between 15 and 10% of their daily ration.
- 1 time a week deliver a piece of trout, salmon, anchovies or tilapia.

🦠internal deworming perform them if the coprological indicates it.

🧠👅 Perform environmental stimulation and enrichment activities at least 5 times a week. They can be:
- Stuffed toys
- Linky mat
- olfactory ball
- olfactory mat.

♥️ Once a day perform a constant exercise for 30 minutes, it can be with the element of preference: ball, frizby, stuffed animal or stick.

With this proposal we want to approach the interpretation of an ancestral food for a carnivore and which will deploy some very good results in health, development and sustainable over time.

How do we work?
Our food is prepared for each furry, for this reason we do not keep cold stock of products. For this reason you can choose to take 2 service alternatives:
1. Subscription mode: where we contact you every 7, 14 or 28 days (depending on your storage capacity) to schedule orders in advance and coordinate how will be the menu for your furry of the month or week.
On request: you control the feeding time of your dog and contact us 4 working days in advance so that we can coordinate the elaboration of the food.

* For both modalities the payment must be made to approve and generate the order.
The payment methods we have available are: cash, Bancolombia transfer or Payu Colombia.

All our formulas are prepared with inputs for human consumption and we take care of the origin of the raw material, guaranteeing the quality; we take care that these are free of injection, brines, stabilizers, preservatives and added proteins.
We do not use industrial waste, additives or preservatives.
We remain attentive to your comments and we will be willing to resolve any concerns that may arise. You can visit our networks where we publish information of your interest and we have enriched with our experience around the welfare of dogs and cats.
@MOLOSO. FOOD

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

OP
S

shanny

Forum Supporter
I live in Colombia and use a BARF service here that delivers every 2 weeks. The transition food was a combo of bone broth, chicken and carrots which looked like orange mashed potatoes. My puppy LOVED it and surprisingly witihin 2 days her bowels were better formed, her farts were less and not as smelly and her mood was better. today was the first day of raw beef. It has pieces of veggies, chicken and heart in it. I was instructed to give her a spoonful of plain greek yogurt once a day as well for 10 days. The puppy loved it as well and kept asking for more. Plus i got a side bonus of pig heart in dried jerky form. Thankfully this company has years of experience and I am learning a lot from them, they have a history of satisfied customers.
As for the spasms, they are all convinced its hiccups, i guess its possible to have hiccups in your sleep. Im not so convinced but may be overreacting but im keeping my eyes on it.
My dog had similar muscle twitches when he would try to relax or sleep that were diagnosed as head tremors and I was told it was "genetic" (insert eye roll). I don't think you're over reacting, and hopefully with the good diet your dog will continue to heal.

With my dog, the iron etc. in beef was too much for him I think, it made his symptoms worse. He's been doing much better with protein sources from dairy, eggs and gelatin.

OP
S

shanny

Forum Supporter
since you are curious about the BARF diet, ill copy and paste the menu the company i use had me choose from, i went with the beef package, but here are the others. It is translated from spanish to english so there may be some mistakes:

We share the feeding proposal for LILA with which we will take care of her physiological needs and as we go along we will enrich her health and well-being.

DAILY RATION: 600g.
Suggested feeding TIME: 3 times, divided into breakfast, noon and afternoon.

As he adapts to the food, the ration will be adjusted to find the perfect balance according to the stage the dog is in:

1. Essential PIG formula, composed of:
ground chicken meaty bone, muscle meat and pork heart. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables without carrot.
Total $104.832 before tax
Duration: 14 days.

2. Essential CHICKEN formula, composed of:
ground chicken meaty bone and chicken muscle meat. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables.
Total $104.8832 before VAT
Serving Qty: 24 units

3. Essential BEEF formula, composed of:
ground chicken meaty bone, heart and muscle beef. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables.
Total $105.84 before tax

4. Essential formula of PORK MONOPROTEIC, composed of:
ground meaty bone, heart, muscle meat and pork viscera. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables without carrot.
Total $177.760 before VAT.
Duration: 16 days

5. LAMB essential formula, composed of:
ground meaty bone, heart, muscle meat and lamb viscera. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables.
Total $193.600 before VAT

6. Essential formula of RABBIT, composed of:
ground meaty bone, heart, muscle meat and rabbit viscera. Accompanied by our mix of shredded vegetables.
Total $237.600 before VAT

WE RECOMMEND to supplement their diet to support their immune system and provide essential micronutrients by means of:
Bone broth
Spirulina
Salmon capsules
Goat milk kefir
Bone jelly

TO PREMIUM IT, with high value protein sources:
Dehydrated trout
Dehydrated pork heart.
Dehydrated lamb leg.
Recreational beef femur bones 2 times a month.

AT HOME:
- In between or at one of the meals provide a pureed fruit accompanied by unsweetened Greek yogurt interspersed with some of our cow and goat kefir.
- The weeks that formulas 1, 2, and 3 are provided, supplement their daily rations with our pâté of fine chicken viscera or with the viscera that you have at home, it should be between 15 and 10% of their daily ration.
- 1 time a week deliver a piece of trout, salmon, anchovies or tilapia.

🦠internal deworming perform them if the coprological indicates it.

🧠👅 Perform environmental stimulation and enrichment activities at least 5 times a week. They can be:
- Stuffed toys
- Linky mat
- olfactory ball
- olfactory mat.

♥️ Once a day perform a constant exercise for 30 minutes, it can be with the element of preference: ball, frizby, stuffed animal or stick.

With this proposal we want to approach the interpretation of an ancestral food for a carnivore and which will deploy some very good results in health, development and sustainable over time.

How do we work?
Our food is prepared for each furry, for this reason we do not keep cold stock of products. For this reason you can choose to take 2 service alternatives:
1. Subscription mode: where we contact you every 7, 14 or 28 days (depending on your storage capacity) to schedule orders in advance and coordinate how will be the menu for your furry of the month or week.
On request: you control the feeding time of your dog and contact us 4 working days in advance so that we can coordinate the elaboration of the food.

* For both modalities the payment must be made to approve and generate the order.
The payment methods we have available are: cash, Bancolombia transfer or Payu Colombia.

All our formulas are prepared with inputs for human consumption and we take care of the origin of the raw material, guaranteeing the quality; we take care that these are free of injection, brines, stabilizers, preservatives and added proteins.
We do not use industrial waste, additives or preservatives.
We remain attentive to your comments and we will be willing to resolve any concerns that may arise. You can visit our networks where we publish information of your interest and we have enriched with our experience around the welfare of dogs and cats.
@MOLOSO. FOOD

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Wow. This is amazing! These people know what they're doing.

OP
S

shanny

Forum Supporter
I believe red light can help seizures but its very important to be careful not to overdose as it can crash blood sugar and make things worse. I would shoot for 3 minutes of red light rather than 30 or use a BR40 and do 30 minutes with that one, but there is a threshold. I did 10 minutes on my puppy once who has some hypo issues apparently and she woke up wobbly headed and it was clear to me she was experiencing a blood sugar crash. 3 minutes on the other hand i haven't had any issues. I only do it close to when they just ate to be safe from crashing blood sugar as red light is known to do.
I want to try some red light with him, given we are in the depths of winter in the north. What sort of apparatus are you using? Do I need to order one from one of those fancy companies or can I just go to the hardware store and make my own?

qminati

I want to try some red light with him, given we are in the depths of winter in the north. What sort of apparatus are you using? Do I need to order one from one of those fancy companies or can I just go to the hardware store and make my own?
I used to be a red light junkie before I learned about Ray Peat, now i know all those fancy ones that are high priced are completely unnecessary and the more balanced BR40 incandescent is what Ray Peat uses and only cost about $25, they can cause fires so be careful where you use it, but they are more balanced because they contain yellow and orange light as well. it is less concentrated so you will need to use it for longer periods, i put it on while i am at my desk working and keeps my temps nice and high without fail. I would suggest putting it on your dog while he is sleeping about 6 feet away and not too far away from meals as it can crash blood sugar as well just not as easy as a red light

Last edited:
OP
S

shanny

Forum Supporter
I used to be a red light junkie before I learned about Ray Peat, now i know all those fancy ones that are high priced are completely unnecessary and the more balanced BR40 incandescent is what Ray Peat uses and only cost about $25, they can cause fires so be careful where you use it, but they are more balanced because they contain yellow and orange light as well. it is less concentrated so you will need to use it for longer periods, i put it on while i am at my desk working and keeps my temps nice and high without fail. I would suggest putting it on your dog while he is sleeping about 6 feet away and not too far away from meals as it can crash blood sugar as well just not as easy as a red light
Thanks for that! I always questioned all of those devices. Also, the fact that the carnivore tribe is obsessed with it made me REALLY question it. Headed to Home Depot :)

Interesting to note, I took my dog to the beach first thing this morning at sunrise (when all of those red, orange and yellow's you speak of are optimal) and he's noticeably calmer today. Nature is amazing

qminati

Thats awesome, my manic and crazy french bulldog was rebellious since she was born but after about 3 weeks of honey she is a calm and obedient sweetheart. i also put coconut oil in her meals to keep her from getting overweight and some nice clean yogurt for snacking. I also used cooked grassfed lean ground beef cooked in coconut oil as traning snack

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals