Peat + Old School Bodybuilding? An Experimental Quest

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've gained muscle in the last month, but can only gain so much while staying at the same bodyweight!
It's important to keep in mind that muscle growth often occurs after 8-10 weeks of starting a program, so "delayed" gains will still kick in.
Someone has mentioned this already, but digestive enzymes can help a lot to improve assimilation of nutrients.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

It's important to keep in mind that muscle growth often occurs after 8-10 weeks of starting a program, so "delayed" gains will still kick in.
Thank you, didn't know that!

Will try to be a little more patient, and add in thyroid and/or these digestive enzymes in the meantime.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update

(Today, June 3rd)

Training: ~45 minute fully body workout! ONLY did exercises that I find enjoyable. Also gonna do some calisthenics supersets later today.

Lets:
'Platz'-style paused squats (triplets up to max) - New PR!

Back:
Weighted pullups (heavy) - New PR!
DB rows (heavy)

Chest:
DB chest press - New PR!
Dips (bodyweight)

Arms:
BB curls (light)
BB lying tricep extension
DB curls (Colbert-style)
DB tricep extension

Other:
Reeves shrug

Nutrition: Planning for the usual 5000+ calories. Milk, beef, collagen powder, dried fruit, OJ

Sefton10

Yeah I do a lot of compounds...have not done deadlifts for a few weeks, tho, since the zercher DL's hurt my back.

The problem seems to be my high metabolic rate, as opposed to any exercise routine.

I've gained muscle in the last month, but can only gain so much while staying at the same bodyweight!
Honestly man, unless you plan on getting on stage, if I were you I’d consider WHY you want to add so much size. You’re already in the shape the vast majority of people on the forum would love to be in and your biggest issue is your metabolism is too high! My advice would be to kick back and just enjoy being young, healthy and lean without the need to force feed calories and supplemental hacks to pack on size. That stuff if a stressor long term, let alone the training. Take the hurt back as a warning, if that was a bad injury you’d have given anything to go back to how you were in the seconds before you did it.

youngsinatra

Would love to see some pictures of your meals brother! Like a full day of eating.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Honestly man, unless you plan on getting on stage, if I were you I’d consider WHY you want to add so much size. You’re already in the shape the vast majority of people on the forum would love to be in and your biggest issue is your metabolism is too high! My advice would be to kick back and just enjoy being young, healthy and lean without the need to force feed calories and supplemental hacks to pack on size. That stuff if a stressor long term, let alone the training. Take the hurt back as a warning, if that was a bad injury you’d have given anything to go back to how you were in the seconds before you did it.
This is a very good point.

I'm not planning on getting on stage or anything...just wanted to see what my body was capable of, kind of like this quote by Socrates alludes to:
"It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

Perhaps I also got a little caught up in the typical bro-quest of getting as massive as possible lol.

Might just stick with where I'm at this summer and try gaining weight again in the winter...not sure yet. Regardless, I appreciate your input!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update

(Yesterday, Sunday June 6th)

Training: Another day doing only exercises I enjoy! Won't be going back to other types of training, I don't think...

Chest:
DB press (quadruplets up to max)
Incline DB press (higher reps)

Back:
Seated cable row
Reeves shrug

Arms:
Cheat curls (thick bar)

Legs:
BB lunges (light)
DB lunges (heavy)

Arms:
Bicep curls/tricep extensions (supersetted)

Nutrition: About 4,400 calories. Lots of milk, eggs, steak, some OJ and dried fruit.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Nope I didn't. It's also not the norm I'd say. But you might be right that it's actually a sign of a young healthy metabolism.
Could be wrong...

But I think this used to be the norm for young guys,

Seems like epigenetic damage, with each generation getting metabolically sicker & fatter than the last, has made high calorie consumption more of a rare thing.

AndrogenicJB

Update

(Yesterday, Sunday June 6th)

Training: Another day doing only exercises I enjoy! Won't be going back to other types of training, I don't think...

Chest:
DB press (quadruplets up to max)
Incline DB press (higher reps)

Back:
Seated cable row
Reeves shrug

Arms:
Cheat curls (thick bar)

Legs:
BB lunges (light)
DB lunges (heavy)

Arms:
Bicep curls/tricep extensions (supersetted)

Nutrition: About 4,400 calories. Lots of milk, eggs, steak, some OJ and dried fruit.
Reeves shrug is also for shoulders and as golden era bookworm would say, widening the clavicles. Try Larry Scott's behind the head kneeling tricep extension, phenomenal tricep exercise, look up golden era bookworms video on it, jm press is good to

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Reeves shrug is also for shoulders and as golden era bookworm would say, widening the clavicles. Try Larry Scott's behind the head kneeling tricep extension, phenomenal tricep exercise, look up golden era bookworms video on it, jm press is good to
Yeah I wasn't really sure where to place the Reeves shrug within workouts. Maybe at the very end, along with pullovers? Both are 'expansion' type movements that aren't very difficult.

Kneeling tricep extension - thanks, I'll try this one today!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update on weight gain (and loss!)

For the last week I've been eating more to appetite. It's gotten pretty hot & humid here and I just can't tolerate 5200+ calories/day since it makes me overheat so much! Averaging probably 4600 cals/day instead.

As a result I've dropped back down to 172ish pounds. Kinda disappointing...

...on the plus side, however, I still look bigger than when I was on the way up from 170 to 178. Bodyfat is very low right now - maybe 7% ? Shredded! I'm just as strong as I was at 178 too.

In a way I'm really happy with my current physique, tho I was really hoping to get bigger. May have to wait until next winter for that...

About to order some thyroid powder from Lifegiving store. Maybe that will allow me to partition the calories more efficiently? Hoping so.

AndrogenicJB

Yeah I wasn't really sure where to place the Reeves shrug within workouts. Maybe at the very end, along with pullovers? Both are 'expansion' type movements that aren't very difficult.

Kneeling tricep extension - thanks, I'll try this one today!
Dumbell pullovers are a great and highly underrated exercise, however i put my reeves shrug after OHP

smojuv

I am interested in your eating pattern, as in do you find yourself eating your carbs, proteins or fat more during a specific period of the day ?
Maybe you instinctually eat more carbs in the morning or later in the evening ? Something akin to that