Peat + Old School Bodybuilding? An Experimental Quest

AndrogenicJB

Update 29

(Saturday May 29th)

Training: Intense full body workout.

3 x 8 squats / calf raises
3 x 8 heavy rows / shrugs
3 x 8 OHP / lying DB press
4 x 8 zottman curl + Leroy Colbert-style concentration curls / lying tricep extensions

Was pretty dead after this session for some reason. The supersets are TOUGH!

Nutrition: 4,800 calories. Was busy today and just ate to a little above appetite. I feel way better eating less than 5000 cals/day, but can't gain weight that way...
Have you tried the reeves deadlift shrug for widening the shoulders

Have you tried exercising outside in the sun around solar noon? Eric Bugenhagen (natural bodybuilder on Youtube) recently realized how much that helps and got enthusiastic about it. Also, (moderate) sun gazing? Watching the sunrise (and up to about 30 minutes from the horizon) consistently is one of the most pro-androgen hormones things you can do; the effects increase gradually so if you're consistent with it for months that'll show you best what it can do. The Golden Era bodybuilders laid in the sun on the beach after working out in the morning, but sun gazing in the morning starts a cascade of hormone reactions that would be even better (but still good to get UVB in the middle of the day too). Doing bodyweight squats while sun gazing every morning's a good way to warm up for the day and strengthen the hormone rhythms.

Last edited:

Andman

Have you tried exercising outside in the sun around solar noon? Eric Bugenhagen (natural bodybuilder on Youtube) recently realized how much that helps and got enthusiastic about it. Also, (moderate) sun gazing? Watching the sunrise (and up to about 30 minutes from the horizon) consistently is one of the most pro-androgen hormones things you can do; the effects increase gradually so if you're consistent with it for months that'll show you best what it can do. The Golden Era bodybuilders laid in the sun on the beach after working out in the morning, but sun gazing in the morning starts a cascade of hormone reactions that would be even better (but still good to get UVB in the middle of the day too). Doing bodyweight squats while sun gazing every morning's a good way to warm up for the day and strengthen the hormone rhythms.
Eric Bugenhagen aint natty bro

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update 30

(Sunday, May 30th)

Training: Shorter full-body workout. Experimented with doing fewer supersets, and did lunges instead of squats. Simple + effective!

OHP (singles up to max)
2 x 20 BB lunges
3 x 4 weighted pullup / weighted dip
3 x 4 bodyweight pullup / dip

Nutrition: 4,400 calories. I have kind of hit a mental block with food - just sick of eating. Gotta get back to my normal 'bulking' diet soon...

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Yes, I have! On rest days I do all my core work and mobility stuff outside in full sun. Need to get a little better about the morning sun, but I do get at least 2 hours of sun a day.

Some day I'd actually like to start an outdoor gym. Just the thought of working out indoors under crappy lighting is frustrating lol.

Love Eric B's stuff, tho I don't know how he's not totally burnt out by now.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Eric Bugenhagen aint natty bro
You don't think so? He admitted to briefly trying testosterone in high school/college...but I don't think he's on anything now.

IMO his physique might just be achievable with top-tier 'genetics.' He walks around at a moderate bodyfat % too, it's not like he's 230 pounds a 5% BF.

AndrogenicJB

Update 30

(Sunday, May 30th)

Training: Shorter full-body workout. Experimented with doing fewer supersets, and did lunges instead of squats. Simple + effective!

OHP (singles up to max)
2 x 20 BB lunges
3 x 4 weighted pullup / weighted dip
3 x 4 bodyweight pullup / dip

Nutrition: 4,400 calories. I have kind of hit a mental block with food - just sick of eating. Gotta get back to my normal 'bulking' diet soon...
Do you find that low reps builds muscle better than higher reps, I think strength training is very androgenic and puts on muscle just as well as higher reps if the intensity is there

smojuv

Update 24

(yesterday May 24th)

Training: Rest day. Little bit of unweighted core, a few minutes of Turkish get-up practice.

Nutrition: Just about 6,000 calories lol. Attached is the day's cronometer.
You are eating a LOT of protein, so I'm interested.
Have you tried eating lower protein before ? Either way I am curious to know what effects pushing the protein higher had on you ? Any benefits to sleep, water retention etc ?

Andman

You don't think so? He admitted to briefly trying testosterone in high school/college...but I don't think he's on anything now.

IMO his physique might just be achievable with top-tier 'genetics.' He walks around at a moderate bodyfat % too, it's not like he's 230 pounds a 5% BF.
seriously? the mans a WWE pro
cool guy and all but def on the juice (not hating or anything, but i think in 2021 stuff like that should be obvious)

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Do you find that low reps builds muscle better than higher reps, I think strength training is very androgenic and puts on muscle just as well as higher reps if the intensity is there
Not sure, and I'm no expert...

...but I'm leaning towards low rep stuff.

And you can always begin a workout with heavy compounds and then use high rep isolation movements as a finisher.

On another note, I tried the Reeves Shrugs you suggested and they were great! Definitely gonna keep doing those. Thanks!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

seriously? the mans a WWE pro
cool guy and all but def on the juice (not hating or anything, but i think in 2021 stuff like that should be obvious)
Maybe so, and yeah there must be lots of pressure on him to perform better...

But I think somewhere out, someone could attain his physique naturally. Why not him?

He and Reg Park have roughly the same height/weight.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

You are eating a LOT of protein, so I'm interested.
Have you tried eating lower protein before ? Either way I am curious to know what effects pushing the protein higher had on you ? Any benefits to sleep, water retention etc ?
Keep in mind this was an above-average day...

But yeah, I have tried eating less protein, I just like this way of eating better. Between the meat and milk it adds up fast lol.

Benefits: I think keeping protein high and avoiding starches has allowed me to avoid bloating, water retention, etc. It might help with muscle gain, especially whey protein (might add that back in).

My sleep is really good, but then again it always has been.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update (the Challenge of Gaining Weight!)

After over a month of averaging 5,200+ calories a day...

I'm still at the same weight. 175-178 depending on glycogen status.

Kind of unsure what to do now. Should I try to break through this plateau by spending even more money on food and risking being overheated all summer...
...or should I just be content with how God/genetics/epigenetics made me and try gaining weight again some other time?

What do you guys [and girls lol] think?

On one hand, I'm pretty happy with how I look now. Quite a bit leaner than a few months ago, and more muscled...
...on the other hand, I'd really just like to be bigger.

Pretty certain I could gain more weight if I added PUFA and starch into my diet, but that wouldn't exactly be Peaty.

Here's where I'm at:

Attachments

• IMG_3235.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 51

Hans

Forum Supporter

Kind of unsure what to do now. Should I try to break through this plateau by spending even more money on food and risking being overheated all summer...
...or should I just be content with how God/genetics/epigenetics made me and try gaining weight again some other time?

On one hand, I'm pretty happy with how I look now. Quite a bit leaner than a few months ago, and more muscled...

Pretty certain I could gain more weight if I added PUFA and starch into my diet, but that wouldn't exactly be Peaty.

Here's where I'm at:
Perhaps you can try a little thyroid in order to utilize the energy better. That's how Peat was able to significantly reduce his calorie intake.

AndrogenicJB

m

Here's where I'm at:
are you doing the compounds, heavy deadlifts? Look into alpha destiny he has great unconventional advice for advanced lifters and lifters in general to increase strength and size, maybe up sat fat and cholesterol intake

Stick with what you're doing (generally) and be patient. You might have plateaus as your nerves and fascia have the strength settle in, for lack of a more specific sciency term, and then when that becomes more like the default you can build more on that. That's something Eric Bugenhagen has said (and I do think he's natural; his most important supplement is being crazy), that in his experience natural progress can have longer plateaus while the strength sets in but when it is set in then it also takes more time to undo it and it's more stable day to day regardless of slight diet/supplement changes, so you have slower but also steadier improvements. And slower can mean several months of only slight improvements. So maybe a plateau(-ish) of consolidation is where your body's at now after the drastic changes in the previous months.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Perhaps you can try a little thyroid in order to utilize the energy better. That's how Peat was able to significantly reduce his calorie intake.
Thanks for the suggestion! Seems like a good idea at this point.

Sefton mentioned this idea earlier in the thread, and after essentially hearing that "the human diet almost always contained thyroid" in the latest Generative Energy podcast...

...I'm going to go ahead and order some!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

are you doing the compounds, heavy deadlifts? Look into alpha destiny he has great unconventional advice for advanced lifters and lifters in general to increase strength and size, maybe up sat fat and cholesterol intake
Yeah I do a lot of compounds...have not done deadlifts for a few weeks, tho, since the zercher DL's hurt my back.

The problem seems to be my high metabolic rate, as opposed to any exercise routine.

I've gained muscle in the last month, but can only gain so much while staying at the same bodyweight!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Stick with what you're doing (generally) and be patient. You might have plateaus as your nerves and fascia have the strength settle in, for lack of a more specific sciency term, and then when that becomes more like the default you can build more on that. That's something Eric Bugenhagen has said (and I do think he's natural; his most important supplement is being crazy), that in his experience natural progress can have longer plateaus while the strength sets in but when it is set in then it also takes more time to undo it and it's more stable day to day regardless of slight diet/supplement changes, so you have slower but also steadier improvements. And slower can mean several months of only slight improvements. So maybe a plateau(-ish) of consolidation is where your body's at now after the drastic changes in the previous months.
Thank you!

I will keep at it, perhaps trying to channel a little of Eric B's craziness myself. Slow improvements are better than nothing!