Peat + Old School Bodybuilding? An Experimental Quest

OccamzRazer

Hi all!

First let me say that I've LOVED being on this forum the past few months.

You all are the most intelligent, thoughtful, and kind (for the most part hehe) group of internet-users I've ever come across!

So...thanks for being you. Thanks for being freethinkers, at a time when this type of thinking seems to be increasingly looked down upon.

~ ~ ~

That prologue aside, onto the purpose of this log.

I'm going to try and combine Peat principles with old-school bodybuilding in an attempt to gain muscle without sacrificing health or healthspan.

My entire life I've had this innate desire to be physically healthy and mentally free. Since the time I was about 4 years old, I've had the sense that the diseases of humanity were optional and not genetically determined. Weird, right?

Anyways...recently I've been learning more and more about old school bodybuilders. The way they lived...the way they trained...it's fascinating stuff!

Many of them followed principles that we'd now recognize as being 'Peaty' - or at least bioenergetically-friendly - and these principles produced incredible results.

I think their methods can be further improved by combining their training principles with Dr. Peat's metabolic principles.

In this log I'll do my best to document whether this union of Peat + Silver Era bodybuilding succeeds or fails.

Hope you all get something out of whatever happens next!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

A couple things to note, in no particular order:

~ I'll be using this log to document nutrition, training, subjective health, and objective health markers

~ I won't be going into hyper-detail about training - I realize this isn't the bodybuilding forum lol

~ I used to be a pro athlete, so I know my body and how it responds to training stress very well

~ I'm a 26-year-old guy. 6 feet tall, 175 pounds, @ ~10% bodyfat.

~ While healthy and energetic, I do have some health complaints:

~ Cold / dry hands

~ Senitive teeth

~ Receding hairline

(This happened during a period of high stress from the ages of 23-25. No regrowth yet, but the hairloss has definitely stopped)

Last edited:
OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Finally...

...any and all ideas are welcome. If you think what I'm planning is good/bad/kinda dumb/super idiotic, feel free to share!

I try to be a pretty open-minded person and may very well adjust this plan on an ongoing basis.

youngsinatra

Definitely in! I am thinking about opening my own log, because I have a similar pursuit.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Definitely in! I am thinking about opening my own log, because I have a similar pursuit.
Thanks brother! If you do I'll definitely follow it!

Part of the reason I'm starting this is actually so I don't hijack threads like your "anti-aging stack" one out of over-enthusiasm lol.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Dietary Details

I've always eaten a lot and stayed pretty thin. When I 'retired' from pro cycling in 2014, I only weighed 130 pounds!

In order to continue gaining weight, I need to eat 4000-5000 calories a day, maybe more in the future. I'm already pushing way past my body's natural 'set point.'

After much experimentation, it seems like I've settled on a high fat, high protein, lowish carb approach. The carbs are really only low in relative terms, however, courtesy of the high total calorie intake. Eating higher carb leads to sluggishness and facial and abdominal bloating.

Here's a cronometer snapshot:

crono .jpg

Last edited:
OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Training Details

I plan on training twice a day, 6 days a week.

Each morning, I'll be doing a set of 20 "Hise Squats" and then 20 pullovers. This is a very short, sub-max workout.

Each afternoon, I'll be doing either a push or pull-based workout. One day a week, the pull workout will entail heavy deadlifts and heavy weighted pullups. This is also a short workout.

Beyond this, I'm a big fan of low-intensity movement, so there'll be about 2 miles of walking and 2 miles of slow biking each day. Lotsa stretching too.

Here is some more detail on the logic behind such high training frequency:

Reg Park – A Hercules for Our Time – Reg Park

REG PARK'S TECHNIQUE FOR PERFORMING THE 20 REP SQUAT!! THE JON JON PARK INTERVIEWS!! - YouTube

Am I concerned about overtraining?

Not really. I only really overtrained once, back in 2011, when I was doing 2 intense lactate-heavy workouts per day as part of USACycling's junior track program. I know what overtraining feels like, and I will reduce training frequency the moment sleep quality starts and/or workout performance start going downhill. I think a young[ish] person with good nutrition can positively adapt to much more training stress than one might think.

Following with interest.

Do you have a source of low PUFA eggs (one of the holy grails of Peating), or do you think the nutritional benefits of eggs are worth the PUFA? I feel better with eggs than without, and I doubt the "pastured" eggs I get have especially low PUFA.

mayku-T-meelo

Milk

Selection_072.png

Attachments

• Hercules II - Hercules II bodybuilding system - bodyweight exercise physical fitness course-He...pdf
    9.1 MB · Views: 177
OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Those macros make no sense, High Carb + High Fat will set you up for a lot of fat gain.
I've been eating lots of fat and lots of carbs for a long time now, and I'm still 10% bodyfat max. Fast metabolism I guess lol

Will upload a starting picture soon.

Korven

Looking forward to hearing about your progress! Strength training was one of my favourite things before, I hope to get back to the gym when my health has recovered.

Have to mention Armand Tanny, the guy had a great physique and ate a 100% raw diet:

"Like many trainers of his era, Tanny didn’t follow a strict dieting plan but rather ate whenever he felt necessary. That being the case, in later years Tanny estimated that he ate between ¾ (0.34 kg) to 1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) of raw meat daily, an amount he believed supplied him with creatine in its purest form.

Generally speaking Tanny consumed ample amounts of raw fish such as tuna, lobster and even clams that he would collect at the Santa Monica Pier. Additionally he consumed beef, liver and a healthy amount of nuts, fruits and vegetables to round out his diet."

armand_tanny1.jpeg

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Supplement Details

~ vitamin K2 from Idealabs
~ aspirin
~ pau d'arco tea
~ red light (2-3 x 1 min/day)
~ nondenatured whey protein
~ bee propolis
~ mag citrate
~ potassium citrate

May also add in progesterone or pregnenolone again (just ran out of Stressnon)

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Following with interest.

Do you have a source of low PUFA eggs (one of the holy grails of Peating), or do you think the nutritional benefits of eggs are worth the PUFA? I feel better with eggs than without, and I doubt the "pastured" eggs I get have especially low PUFA.
Thank you, appreciate the interest!

I get pastured eggs from a local farm. Unsure of the PUFA content, tho I do think they're worth it for the anabolic factors.

My hope is that cooking them in a few tbsp of coconut oil will offset the drawbacks of the PUFA...we shall see. I've always done pretty well with eggs in the past, unless shooting for Gironda's 36 egg/day.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Looking forward to hearing about your progress! Strength training was one of my favourite things before, I hope to get back to the gym when my health has recovered.

Have to mention Armand Tanny, the guy had a great physique and ate a 100% raw diet:

"Like many trainers of his era, Tanny didn’t follow a strict dieting plan but rather ate whenever he felt necessary. That being the case, in later years Tanny estimated that he ate between ¾ (0.34 kg) to 1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) of raw meat daily, an amount he believed supplied him with creatine in its purest form.

Generally speaking Tanny consumed ample amounts of raw fish such as tuna, lobster and even clams that he would collect at the Santa Monica Pier. Additionally he consumed beef, liver and a healthy amount of nuts, fruits and vegetables to round out his diet."

View attachment 23162
Thanks for sharing, I love Tanny! This excerpt is from the Weston A Price article, right? So much good info in that one.

May try some more raw meat this summer when it feels too hot for cooking.

Good luck with getting back in the gym! It can be a very fun activity when the body is health enough to supercompensate.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Yes! Thanks for sharing.

Milk is great stuff. I drink about 4 cups of raw milk a day. Might try to drink more, tho large amounts seem a little inflammatory.

These guys did so much right it's kind of incredible. Steve Reeves had a shake with orange juice and gelatin. His favorite 2 supplements were dessicated liver and wheat germ, for the vit E.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Current Physique

6 feet tall, 175 pounds, 8-10% bodyfat (estimate)

20210427_145251_(1).jpg