Peat Has No Understanding Of Glycolysis

Hugh Johnson

Everyone that's been around Peat stuff long enough knows that he has been using the term glycolysis to mean anaerobic lactate formation. I believe this is an historical term, like if some really old person called vitamins "vital amines."

Aerobic glycolysis, the conversion of glucose to lactic acid even in the presence of oxygen. The presence of oxygen normally restrains glycolysis so that glucose is converted to carbon dioxide instead of lactic acid.​

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/lactate.shtml

Kyle M

Aerobic glycolysis, the conversion of glucose to lactic acid even in the presence of oxygen. The presence of oxygen normally restrains glycolysis so that glucose is converted to carbon dioxide instead of lactic acid.​

Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer

It's semantic. If the pyruvate isn't shuttled to O2 dependent enzyme systems to produce CO2, then it's functionally anaerobic. Aerobic can be referring to the presence of O2 or actually using O2, or both. The production of lactate in the presence of adequate O2, however, seems important.

OP
Colin Nordstrom
I appreciate all the people who comment constructively. I love interacting with the most intelligent people in what I feel is the mecca of health information. The rest is just a sea of sh** dis/misinformation.

Xisca

That's right. It's not uncommon for "glycolysis" to be used as a shorthand for "glycolysis that leads to lactic acid fermentation." For example, the type of muscle fibers which perform a great deal of lactic acid fermentation are called "glycolytic fibers."
Yes but then I sounded stupid when talking with a friend who is a biology teacher!
And could not get more informations...
And if a scientist talks to non scientists people, he should not make shortcuts!
The definition of a language is a common code.

Lurker

I even see the terms glycolysis and glycogenolysis interchanged.

Colin, I agree with you that glycolysis term gets tossed around here as a "bad" thing when it's simply the first step in glucose metabolism to pyruvate. It does make it hard to understand people when they don't fully explain their terms. I've come to assume they mean without sufficient oxygen leading down the lactate fermentation path. Even that isn't "bad" per se. Maybe suboptimal but it sure beats no energy production.

That said, saying Peat doesn't know what he's talking about is a little ridiculous. Especially on the RPF. Some simple etiquette would go far if you want some help explaining your misunderstanding of the situation. Peat's language and word usage takes some getting used to.

OP
Colin Nordstrom
Hey dude, seriously. We are way past whatever you're saying. Let it go man. You're a tad late to the party.

GelatinGoblin

RAY PEAT: Yah. Looking at us in our environment, we are really sort of sandwiched between the sugar energy we get from plants and the carbon dioxide that we make as the final product of the energy from the sugar. A series of changes in the sugar molecule, each oxidation of that molecule adds a little chemical energy to the cell, that the cell can use to make proteins. As it degrades the sugar, it builds up amino acids and proteins and fats. When you are unable to oxidize the sugar all the way down to carbon dioxide, and produce lactic acid instead, halfway, you are losing the greatest part of the energy stored in the glucose molecule. And that lack of energy has its repercussions. But when there is really a lack of oxygen to continue the oxidation, that NADH, which allowed pyruvic acid to take this shortcut off into the semi-toxic lactic acid, that has to be renewed before you can even make another lactic acid. So, without oxygen, you need some kind of oxidant to even continue producing that kind of low energy from the sugar to pyruvate and lactic acid. And to do that, cells can produce fat and get rid of their electrons by building them into fat. So building fat in a way is an alternative (very bad one) to using up oxygen and making CO2. So, interestingly, cancers, which get stuck in the exclusive use of converting glucose or amino acids to lactic acid as their energy supply, they also get stuck making fat. Fat becomes their oxygen in effect. And then, when they still have mitochondrial function, the cell burns fat as its energy. So it's really a deranged and crazy kind of metabolism to produce an irritant lactic acid, and to do that it has to make fat which is then used as fuel with its own consequences.
I love the way he speaks man

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals