Peat Friendly Nasal Sprays?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm thinking possibly atrovent (ipatropium) could be one nasal spray to investigate further. I only say that because it is considered an anticholinergic and I've read on the forum and in a newsletter by Peat that he has mentioned certain anticholinergic substances as protective in specific situations. I believe it was posted by a forum member (wilfred?) in regards to cancer, that in his communication with Peat, anticholinergic substances would be a good area of focus. Maybe they provide some protective inhibition? I didn't see atrovent on the farmicia website but I sure would personally use that over inhaled steroids, I'm sure some of the steroids get into the circulation. That's just my personal opinion on what I would use if I needed an allergy nasal spray. I'm not sure how perfectly peaty it is though.

aguilaroja

You might look for the cromolyn sodium (Nasalcrom) nasal sprays, if the indication is pollen/allergic rhinitis. It is not a steroid. Cromolyn lowers histamine by reducing mast cell release. Its disadvantages are that its action builds up over days (the full relief is not instant) and it is more effective used several times per day. It works for most people but not all.

It is far safer than the cortisone type nasal sprays (Nasocort) and the epinephrine-like (neo-synephrine type) "decongestant" sprays. I have never heard Dr. Peat discuss it. It is over-the-counter in most places, I think.

Azelastine in an anti-histamine spray, fitting into a category where some agents have been recommended at certain times (Benadryl, Cyproheptatine).

cjm

Anyone had any use with Cromolyn sodium?

I go through a couple bottles of Nasalcrom a year.

I'd use it more often if it were cheaper but the 200 sprays in a bottle is close to $25 and it only works in excess of the prescribed dose.

It is acutely effective for panic attacks. (Just had a minor panic attack, lol.)

My dose was 20 sprays (104 mg total).

I've used it like this before. With some shame, I'll tell you it helped me get back on top of a panic attack during a night of heavy cocaine use and drinking. Something you would use a benzo for.

It probably works wonders for season allergies, I just don't really feel mine acutely.

Or it could be a sign of a brain allergy.

There were instant clarifying effects on thinking and perception. Vision has brightened up a lot.

Makes me curious about the supposed "build-up" period. I've never taken it longer than a week at a time.

Edit: cromolyn sodium is also sold as an eyedrop and an oral medication called Gastrocrom. Make of that what you will!

Last edited: