Peat-friendly Gut Healers?

hoppimike

I know gelatine and colostrum are both highly regarded, but what else is recommended or permissable on a Peat diet for healing leaky gut?

I have been taking calendula and slippery elm recently for leaky gut / gut damage but am also aware that vitamin E and castor oil are good healers supposedly, and aloe vera. I may well drop one or both of my previous ones in favour of gelatine, but prefer to stick to only 1 or 2 at once.

So... where do we/Peat stand on all this?

Hoppi

cliff

daily raw carrot or better yet peat salad(carrot, coconut oil, vinegar) is good.

Avoiding allergenic substances found as fillers or additives in supplements and foods is a biggie too.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

cliff said:
daily raw carrot or better yet peat salad(carrot, coconut oil, vinegar) is good.

Avoiding allergenic substances found as fillers or additives in supplements and foods is a biggie too.

ah ok, they could be hindering my gut's healing a lot? really? I never really think about that very much.

cliff

hoppimike said:
ah ok, they could be hindering my gut's healing a lot? really? I never really think about that very much.

Excipients in supplements can be very problematic, as well as emulsifiers/gums in foods. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is over supplementing with low quality supplements.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

cliff said:
hoppimike said:

Excipients in supplements can be very problematic, as well as emulsifiers/gums in foods. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is over supplementing with low quality supplements.

hm... I used to have lots of things like guar gum. I actually have some sitting around somewhere. What's wrong with it? O.O

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Attachments

• Cow and moon another 2.jpg
    Cow and moon another 2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 56
Try to avoid gluten and fibers.. I would even avoid starch for some time, because it can irritate, feed bacteria in the gut that could produce endotoxin and some lil starch particles can even clog arteries. I would drink a lot of milk and get sure to get enough saturated fat, for example with cheese, because its very protective. Colostrum is probaly worth to try, because its a natural substance that helps in the building of gut wall, but be sure that u get it from cows that have a natural nutrition. When I asked Peat some time ago, he said its probably ok to supplement, but more important is a good nutrition.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

Close to Nature said:
Try to avoid gluten and fibers.. I would even avoid starch for some time, because it can irritate, feed bacteria in the gut that could produce endotoxin and some lil starch particles can even clog arteries. I would drink a lot of milk and get sure to get enough saturated fat, for example with cheese, because its very protective. Colostrum is probaly worth to try, because its a natural substance that helps in the building of gut wall, but be sure that u get it from cows that have a natural nutrition. When I asked Peat some time ago, he said its probably ok to supplement, but more important is a good nutrition.

I'm actually a bit lactose intolerant. Is lactose-free milk ok?

And yeah I already have cut gluten and my starch intake is... unbelievably low hehe

It's all helping I think :)

Drink the lactose-free milk with some white sugar or honey if there is a good one available in your environment. In the Long Run I would drink every day a lil bit of normal milk, so that your body has a possibility to adapt to the lactose (and produce more lactase).

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

Close to Nature said:
Drink the lactose-free milk with some white sugar or honey if there is a good one available in your environment. In the Long Run I would drink every day a lil bit of normal milk, so that your body has a possibility to adapt to the lactose (and produce more lactase).

I totally agree with this approach thank you!

I shall do this! :)

cmoore85

beef bone brtoh from grass fed cows. gelatin from great lakes, never Knox and when ordering the gelatin online get the green can of bovine gelatin that you can add to cold liquids. i would try broth three times a day in 8oz servings before enlisting the help of any supplements. watch out for cultures, enzymes, and rennet in cheese which can cause issues and most cheeses have this. if going to do dairy only do haggen daz as this is the only dairy most can find without carageenan and even most of whole foods food has carageenan in ti so if it doesnt say it doesnt mean it is not there. look online to see wht companies use or ask ray peat. stress managament helps

cmoore85

it is hard for someone with gut issues to break down supplements and it is already hard for anyone. if you take herbs make sure they are not the cheap crap but even if good quality if you can break them down due to gut issues you will probably store them in your small intestine as endotoxin and perpetuate the process. if you have to use supplements get the best quality period. i will look for the vitamin e online that is the best to order, cant remember the name. so start with food...and if that doesnt work use what you have to

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Here is the list of supplements. Unique E seems to be the best one and it is listed on there.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=226

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

Thing is, Great Lakes and Knox means absolutely nothing to me as I don't live in America I live in England.

I buy this stuff:

SGN1126.jpg

It's the cheap stuff but I'm poor lol..

Combie

hoppimike said:
Thing is, Great Lakes and Knox means absolutely nothing to me as I don't live in America I live in England.

I buy this stuff:

SGN1126.jpg

It's the cheap stuff but I'm poor lol..
Snap! I think it's ok. Gelatin seems hard to get in decent quantities for a decent price. Anyone know where u can get it in kilo quantities in the UK? I'm aiming to get 70g a day, so need big bags of it really.

Rachel

Combie said:
Gelatin seems hard to get in decent quantities for a decent price. Anyone know where u can get it in kilo quantities in the UK? I'm aiming to get 70g a day, so need big bags of it really.
NOW foods has a 5 lb. bag that I order from a local health food store here in the US for about 28 bucks. Cheap! It's this: http://www.nowfoods.com/Foods/Real-Food ... 044533.htm
These guys are the UK distributors for NOW: http://www.jgsupplements.com/brands/NOW-Foods.html
Maybe they'll get it for you. :)

peat415

This might be too late for you to use but I've been doing something delicious and easy with my gelatin. I don't want to have to buy ice cream often.

Panna Cotta
2 C milk
1/4 C sugar
splash vanilla (optional)
2 t gelatin softened in 3 T cold water

Add gelatin to cold water and let it hydrate while you do the rest.
Heat milk just enough to melt the sugar. Add vanilla

Add gelatin to warm milk and stir until dissolved. Strain into jars and leave in the fridge until it gels. It's a cross between pudding and jello. Very nice and light.

You can make it with milk and coffee, honey, brown sugar, spices, chai, green tea powder, cocoa powder... Just about anything. Just adjust the sugar to your taste if you add something unsweetened or bitter.

4peatssake

Jenn said:
Aloe vera is EXCELLENT for healing the gut. It contains all the vitamins except vit D and is like liquid gelatin. It is a carrier and helps the intensitines assimilate other nutrients.

Hi Jenn,

Can you recommend a particular brand? I've heard the juice is rather inferior so wonder what product may be best for the gut.

Thanks!