http://jn.nutrition.org/content/16/6/511.full.pdf

coincidence???

4peatssake

jb4566 said:
That the diet
was of the extremely 'low-fat,' rather than the 'fat-free,'
The chief source of fat in the diet was the
skimmed milk.

This is not a study of Ray Peat's dietary recommendations although he does discuss this study extensively in

Sugar Issues

In 1936, a man in Burr's lab, William Brown, agreed to eat a similar diet for six months, to see whether the "essential fatty acid deficiency" affected humans as it did rats.
The diet was very similar to the rats', with a large part of the daily 2500 calories being provided at hourly intervals during the day by sugar syrup (flavored with citric acid and anise oil), protein from 4 quarts of special fat-free skimmed milk, a quart of which was made into cottage cheese, the juice of half an orange, and a "biscuit" made with potato starch, baking powder, mineral oil, and salt, with iron, viosterol (vitamin D), and carotene supplemented.
Brown had suffered from weekly migraine headaches since childhood, and his blood pressure was a little high when he began the diet. After six weeks on the diet, his migraines stopped, and never returned. His plasma inorganic phosphorus declined slightly during the experiment (3.43 mg./100 cc. of plasma and 2.64 on the diet, and after six months on a normal diet 4.2 mg.%), and his total serum proteins increased from 6.98 gm.% to 8.06 gm.% on the experimental diet. His leucocyte count was lower on the high sugar diet, but he didn't experience colds or other sickness. On a normal diet, his systolic blood pressure varied from 140 to 150 mm. of mercury, the diastolic, 95 to 100. After a few months on the sugar and milk diet, his blood pressure had lowered to about 130 over 85 to 88. Several months after he returned to a normal diet, his blood pressure rose to the previous level.
On a normal diet, his weight was 152 pounds, and his metabolic rate was from 9% to 12% below normal, but after six months on the diet it had increased to 2% below normal. After three months on the sugar and milk diet, his weight leveled off at 138 pounds. After being on the diet, when he ate 2000 calories of sugar and milk within two hours, his respiratory quotient would exceed 1.0, but on his normal diet his maximum respiratory quotient following those foods was less than 1.0.

OP
J

jb4566

I didn't mean to imply that Ray Peat conducted the study, I just thought it was interesting that the diet used in the study is a "peat" diet...

OP
J

jb4566

Also, I didn't realize that peat mentioned it in one of his articles, still interesting though...

4peatssake

jb4566 said:
Also, I didn't realize that peat mentioned it in one of his articles, still interesting though...
You will see earlier in his article that he takes a big swipe at the Burrs and their methodologies.

4peatssake

jb4566 said:
I didn't mean to imply that Ray Peat conducted the study
Heck, that's exactly what I thought when I read your headline. :lol:

Or that he or someone else was going to conduct one and I would love to volunteer for that! :P

Also, I wouldn't say this is exactly as Peat diet - it's certainly not what I eat and I'm pretty strictly Peat.
Key things missing are gelatin and coconut oil.
I couldn't imagine eating this diet for very long. And that powder concoction. :eek:
No hagen dazs either! :(

But it is very interesting to read some of the older studies that have influenced him. Clearly he isn't a fan of the Burrs.