Peat Diet On $196 A Month

belscb

My wife and I go through about 10 Tbsp/5 oz of coconut oil daily, so 5 gallons should last us a little over 4 months. (I eat 3,000 calories a day, and about 23% of those calories come from coconut oil. It's the cheapest food I can get, apart from white sugar!)

Besides, normal coconut oil has a shelf life of 1-2 years, so I assume this hydrogenated oil must have an even longer shelf life.

OP
B

belscb

My coconut consumption helped me get my personal Peat diet down to $196/month including supplements (not easy on 3,000 calories), and only 7 minutes of food prep time daily. And I actually enjoy the food! This forum has also been helpful to me, though I've only lurked until now.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My coconut consumption helped me get my personal Peat diet down to $196/month including supplements (not easy on 3,000 calories), and only 7 minutes of food prep time daily. And I actually enjoy the food! This forum has also been helpful to me, though I've only lurked until now.
Do tell more please.

OP
B

belscb

Each morning I spend a couple minutes making half a gallon of "orange milk". I drink it a pint at a time, breakfast/lunch/snack/supper. Ingredients: 6.5 cups of milk, a 12 oz can of frozen orange juice concentrate, 0.5 tsp baking soda to prevent it from curdling throughout the day, 4 tsp glycine, 1 tsp alanine, and 1 tsp proline. (I used to eat gelatin, but it was too inconvenient so I started using glycine/alanine/proline powder instead. I don't know if the alanine and proline actually do much good, but Ray Peat makes positive side comments about them, and they're significant components in gelatin. They also help give the glycine a more wholesome sweet taste instead of an artificial sweet taste.)

I also have 3 mugs of mocha throughout the day, breakfast/lunch/dinner. Ingredients in each mug: 1 cup of skim milk, 2 Tbsp coconut oil, 1.5 Tbsp sucrose or fructose powder, 0.5 Tbsp cocoa powder, and 9 grams of instant coffee crystals. The drink is pretty concentrated, but I love it. Prep time is about a minute per mug. I mix it up with the Capresso, which simultaneously emulsifies, froths, and heats the mocha.

Each lunch I have something different in the weekly rotation: a 3.75 oz can of smoked oysters 4x a week, a soft-boiled egg 2x a week, and 1x a week I'll have 50 grams of raw liver grated into 8 oz of tomato juice. The oysters and eggs require essentially no prep time. The liver requires about 12 minutes but thankfully it's only once a week.

I also have 110 grams of organic raw carrot throughout the day (i.e., 1 1/2 medium-large carrots). Not peeled or rinsed or anything.

I only take three supplements: 1 gelcap daily of Life Extension Super K complex, 1 gelcap weekly of Unique E, and half of a 10mg manganese tablet weekly.

OP
B

belscb

Notes:
-I've been eating this way for about 5 months so far and I love it more and more with each passing day
-I have been very slowly losing weight on this diet while maintaining a body temperature of 98.6, which is good. I'm 6' 2" and weighed 245 lbs when I started out. Now I'm about 235 lbs. I think the primary reason it's helping me lose weight is because I don't absent-mindedly eat excess calories I don't need. 3000 calories a day seems to be good for me, and when I eat pretty much the same stuff every day it helps me keep track of calories without even trying. I estimate I'm probably burning 250 calories of bodyfat each day.
-All ingredients and supplements above cost a little under $200/month on average. This is the personal limit I've set for myself, and I adhere to it strictly.
-No starch
-Prep time of between 5 and 17 minutes daily depending on whether it's 'liver day' or not. :):
-Right now the 6.5 cups of milk I put in my "orange milk" is 4.5 cups of whole milk and 2 cups of skim milk. I've tried using a lower fat content but it gives me blood sugar spikes/lows. So I guess that means I'm slightly insulin resistant. In the future I'll lower the fat content of my milk and increase the sugar content of my diet as I'm able to do so.
-In the meantime, 46% of my calories come from sugar, 37% from fat, and 17% from protein
-Even despite my fat calories being this high, thanks to fully hydrogenated coconut oil my diet will only contain 3.2 grams of PUFAs daily, i.e., just a little under 1% of my total calories.
-I seem to have extremely high zinc needs; if I don't eat 4 cans of oysters weekly than I get white spots on my fingernails. I imagine others wouldn't need to eat as many oysters as I do.
-I buy my coconut oil and amino acid powders in bulk online, which saves a lot of money.
-The "Pampa" brand of instant coffee available at Wal-Mart is by far the cheapest source of coffee I've located so far.
-The "Old Orchard" brand of frozen orange juice tastes the best to me. I think they must remove the pulp using a simple filter rather than enzymes because occasionally I'll find a few *tiny* pieces of pulp remaining.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Notes:
-I've been eating this way for about 5 months so far and I love it more and more with each passing day
-I have been very slowly losing weight on this diet while maintaining a body temperature of 98.6, which is good. I'm 6' 2" and weighed 245 lbs when I started out. Now I'm about 235 lbs. I think the primary reason it's helping me lose weight is because I don't absent-mindedly eat excess calories I don't need. 3000 calories a day seems to be good for me, and when I eat pretty much the same stuff every day it helps me keep track of calories without even trying. I estimate I'm probably burning 250 calories of bodyfat each day.
-All ingredients and supplements above cost a little under $200/month on average. This is the personal limit I've set for myself, and I adhere to it strictly.
-No starch
-Prep time of between 5 and 17 minutes daily depending on whether it's 'liver day' or not. :)
-Right now the 6.5 cups of milk I put in my "orange milk" is 4.5 cups of whole milk and 2 cups of skim milk. I've tried using a lower fat content but it gives me blood sugar spikes/lows. So I guess that means I'm slightly insulin resistant. In the future I'll lower the fat content of my milk and increase the sugar content of my diet as I'm able to do so.
-In the meantime, 46% of my calories come from sugar, 37% from fat, and 17% from protein
-Even despite my fat calories being this high, thanks to fully hydrogenated coconut oil my diet will only contain 3.2 grams of PUFAs daily, i.e., just a little under 1% of my total calories.
-I seem to have extremely high zinc needs; if I don't eat 4 cans of oysters weekly than I get white spots on my fingernails. I imagine others wouldn't need to eat as many oysters as I do.
-I buy my coconut oil and amino acid powders in bulk online, which saves a lot of money.
-The "Pampa" brand of instant coffee available at Wal-Mart is by far the cheapest source of coffee I've located so far.
-The "Old Orchard" brand of frozen orange juice tastes the best to me. I think they must remove the pulp using a simple filter rather than enzymes because occasionally I'll find a few *tiny* pieces of pulp remaining.
Thanks for the detailed reply!

bobbybobbob

hydrogenated oil must have an even longer shelf life.

I'd be interested in hard data on this from the perspective of putting together a survivalist food stash. It's dirt cheap insurance.

I think between hydrogenated coconut oil, aluminum canned coke, nitrogen packed casein, and maybe some multi-vitamin pills, you'd be OK for a year or so.

Something you could literally bury in steel barrels under the frost line under ground for eight years, dig up, and eat, is the point. Storing food for a year or two is not hard. I'm curious about things you can hide somewhere secret and know it'll be good for maybe a decade, should you need it.

DaveFoster

Coffee, orange juice, milk, coconut oil, and sugar. Yeah, it's pretty simple and cheap, except for the orange juice.

m_arch

Orange milk tastes a bit like sherbet, worth a try. I don't like it myself but I have them separately.

Thanks for sharing! Cheap and efficient ftw

tara

Rafe

Wow. Beautiful. Does it seem rigid? Because it sounds like you and your family's food-life is very functional, less drama than me when I want to eat too much ice cream. Awesome execution and analysis. Thank you! How did you meet RP?

Makrosky

Thanks for sharing!! Sounds interesting. I don't like these kind of approaches because I feel I'm treating myself like a laboratory rat. But it certainly is cheap, easy and Peat friendly.

Anyway, I think that is too much coconut oil. Didn't Ray wrote about how large ammounts of coconut oil can lead to PUFA deposits over time ? Since coconut oil still has some PUFA.

And now for some kabbalah, I can also recall a KMUD or something like that were a Caller asks : "is it ok to eat 4 tablespoons of coconut oil per day ?" And Ray answers : "haha, no, more like 4 teaspoons."

My 2cents!

sladerunner69

If I dont have a convienent afforable access to milk and orange juice can i substitute with lechee syrup and whey curds?

Lightbringer

Each morning I spend a couple minutes making half a gallon of "orange milk". I drink it a pint at a time, breakfast/lunch/snack/supper. Ingredients: 6.5 cups of milk, a 12 oz can of frozen orange juice concentrate, 0.5 tsp baking soda to prevent it from curdling throughout the day,
I've been trying to figure out how to carry milk shakes to work. Do you put the blended shake in the fridge or are they ok to be left out at room temperature for 4-6 hours? I'm surprised that a mix with OJ holds throughout the day though ! I'll try this with baking soda to see if the curdling stops.

tara

I've been trying to figure out how to carry milk shakes to work. Do you put the blended shake in the fridge or are they ok to be left out at room temperature for 4-6 hours? I'm surprised that a mix with OJ holds throughout the day though ! I'll try this with baking soda to see if the curdling stops.
Cooler bag with an ice pack if it's going to be in the warm for a long time?
I don't know if you can stop the curdling, but it tastes good anyway even after several hours. When I took some on an overnight hike I added a tsp of yogurt just so those bacteria got a headstart in case it was too long in the warm. I may have had some sugar in there too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals