Peat Approved Sources Of Manganese

FunkOdyssey

Plugged into cronometer my current diet of milk, OJ, dates, beef, eggs, watermelon, etc and the only deficiencies are: vitamin E, K, and manganese. You only need 0.6mg of Vitamin E per gram of PUFA according to some published research, so that's fine. I'll probably do Thorne K2 for the K.

With manganese however, there are really no RDA-level supplements available, and you don't want to take too much manganese, as higher doses are quite toxic. I'd like to get it from food if possible.

So, what are your favorite Peat-approved food sources of manganese?

OP
F

FunkOdyssey

Maybe I should have done a search first -- after posting, the similar topics on the bottom revealed a thread very similar to this one, only two months old. Oysters and chocolate came up as peat-approved foods. Also, bananas and maple syrup if you are willing to "go rogue" and shun peat's advice in the pursuit of manganese.

Anything else?

Worst case scenario, I'll get this and cut it in 1/4's or take it only 1-2x weekly: http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Chelated-Manganese-100-Tablets/48554

J

j.

I consume chocolate regularly, though I haven't measured the amount of manganese.

pboy

chocolate satisfies manganese, I also do some herb teas that have manganese. 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup gives almost all a day's worth of recommended manganese, so I do that time to time also but Peat has warned some people might get allergies from the maple

Dutchie

FunkOdyssey said:
Plugged into cronometer my current diet of milk, OJ, dates, beef, eggs, watermelon, etc and the only deficiencies are: vitamin E, K, and manganese. You only need 0.6mg of Vitamin E per gram of PUFA according to some published research, so that's fine. I'll probably do Thorne K2 for the K.

With manganese however, there are
really no RDA-level supplements available, and you don't want to take too much manganese, as higher doses are quite toxic. I'd like to get it from food if possible.

So, what are your favorite Peat-approved food sources of manganese?
Dates contain vit.k too. Vit E sources im strugglinh with too,but i found out that cacaobutter contains quite some probably why i. sometimes crave white chocolate....too bad one bar has quite some pufa too,as have almost all dried fruits:(...except dates and candied ginger from what i saw.

I love maple syrup,could drink bottles of it...gives awesome energy. Though i lately come to think that the rush and exciliarated energy&mood i experience,migth actually be bad andbe a sign of stressed adrenals

JohnS

I had some coconut water (vita coco) the other day. According to Cronometer it's a good source for managanese, 1.7mg. Not sure if it's Peat approved or not.

Dutchie

JohnS said:
I had some coconut water (vita coco) the other day. According to Cronometer it's a good source for managanese, 1.7mg. Not sure if it's Peat approved or not.
Had it for the first time a couple of days ago....awesome thirstreliever on hot days and at least doesnt flush oput minerals as it contains lots of minerals.
I expected it to taste like coconut but doesnt at all,though i still wouldnt be able to describe the taste to someone

Mittir

Pineapple has more serotonin than banana and less than plantain. But i have seen RP recommending " pineapple in moderation", not sure what he defined as moderation. 100 grams of pineapple has about 1.7 mg of serotonin and 1.6 mg of manganese ( 80 % of DV) . I usually drink half a cup of pineapple juice and did not notice any adverse affect.
I do add baking soda to neutralize the acid.

Dutchie

Mittir said:
Pineapple has more serotonin than banana and less than plantain. But i have seen RP recommending " pineapple in moderation", not sure what he defined as moderation. 100 grams of pineapple has about 1.7 mg of serotonin and 1.6 mg of manganese ( 80 % of DV) . I usually drink half a cup of pineapple juice and did not notice any adverse affect.
I do add baking soda to neutralize the acid.
Does thr acid contain the serotonin? Maybe with lack of meat,muscle meat ot isnt so much. of a problem?serotonin is also a hormone required ny the body....just not too much,as is the case with everything.

dxh100

Hi all,

I don't know if canned hearts of palm are Ray Peat approved, but 3 "sticks" or pieces have about 69% of the daily requirement for manganese according to Cronometer. And they are super tasty (if expensive).

Dxh

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dxh, welcome to the forum. :welcome

dxh100

Thanks for the welcome, Charlie! I've been lurking for awhile and seeing what life is like eating as a Peatarian does. Feeling pretty good so far. I guess it helps that I adore milk and orange juice.

Dxh

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
dxh100 said:
I guess it helps that I adore milk and orange juice.

You and me both! :rockout

Dutchie

dxh100 said:
Hi all,

I don't know if canned hearts of palm are Ray Peat approved, but 3 "sticks" or pieces have about 69% of the daily requirement for manganese according to Cronometer. And they are super tasty (if expensive).

Dxh
Hi dXH,
Welcome:) what are palmhearts?are they a fruit and from the palmtree?if so,do they taste like coconut?

OP
F

FunkOdyssey

I just discovered grape juice is a great source of manganese (25% RDA per 8oz), and white grape juice in particular has no sorbitol and an easily digested glucose:fructose ratio. Found an organic one with no sulfites added.

dxh100

Dutchie said:
dxh100 said:
Hi all,

Dxh
Hi dXH,
Welcome:) what are palmhearts?are they a fruit and from palmtree?if so,do they taste like coconut?

Hi Dutchie,

Hearts of palm are the tender core of certain palm tree species. I guess they would be considered a vegetable. Here's a link from Wikipedia with a picture of them in the can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_palm

Not sure how to describe the taste, but it is not like coconut. It is very mild tasting and reminds me a little bit of artichoke hearts, but milder and not bitter. They are nice to eat on a hot day, cold and straight out of the can. I would love to know if Peat thinks they are ok/beneficial.

4peatssake