Peat Approach For My Cat

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
narouz said:
Such_Saturation said:
I find all wet foods and dry foods have from 3% to 6% oils. There is a modest tendency to be on the lower side for higher priced food. The ones who brag about added omega-3 still have the same percentages. So PUFA cannot be avoided with commercial food. Higher priced food has in the grand scheme of things an insignificantly higher vitamin E content, so I give the cat two to three drops of EstroBan per day.

Yeah, probably the bragging advertisement of added omega-3 is, thankfully, just more hot air.
Now on the oil content...
or fat content...

I would think if you get the kinds that have beef as a primary ingredient
instead of chicken or fish
then more of the fats would be saturated, hopefully.

I try to find the kinds that have less chicken and fish
and more beef or beef by-products.
I avoid the ones that show added soy oil or fish oil.

But I agree...far from perfect options in the commercial world.

I wonder whether it would be a good idea to feed a cat some whole milk and egg.
Not as the main part of their diet,
but something unpolluted and nutritious to offset the consumption of commercial food...

If you notice, the only difference between what's written on the tin is usually 4%. I'm serious, they write salmon or beef because 4% comes from salmon or beef. The rest is always... let's call it seasonal content. From Almo Nature upwards it starts to become significant and the food looks like actual food.

We yanks don't have that brand over here, I don't think.
Seems like to me the expensive brands try to put a selling point on:
-grains in some cases, like rice, as a primary ingredient,
appealing to the vegetarian human owners
-real meat...but the real meat always seems to be chicken and fish--PUFA

A cheap brand like Friskies, in some of their versions,
the ones leading with beef,
have beef and/or beef by-products as the primary ingredient.
Fancy/expensive brands want to try to sell you on the point that it in not just "by-products."
By which is likely meant organs, gristle, etc.
That is, the Peatish beef stuff.
It's cheap, and the fancy brands don't think they can fluff that up for sale.
But it's probably the best part of the cow for cats (even humans).

But it is radically different, which is why the cat won't eat said by-products so voraciously if you just throw them in the plate from the butcher. I think any kind of dry food is devastating on the kidneys but people try to convince you it is "needed".

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
But it is radically different, which is why the cat won't eat said by-products so voraciously if you just throw them in the plate from the butcher. I think any kind of dry food is devastating on the kidneys but people try to convince you it is "needed".

It continually surprises me how much cats generally love dry food.
I'm surprised their instincts spot it as an appetizing food.

And just the other way around
you're right about raw meat scraps from butcher--
they barely give it a taste.

I think if we avoid feeding them primarily dried grains and bad oils,
then we're making a big improvement.

XPlus said:
I think cats are like women, difficult to understand but they definitely wouldn't need too much water if they're mostly on a raw (wet) diet (i.e. meat is about 70-80% water)

I think men are like dogs....oh wait, no. Nope, dogs are more loyal and they definitely don't need as much attention. :lol:

narouz said:
Such_Saturation said:

It continually surprises me how much cats generally love dry food.
I'm surprised their instincts spot it as an appetizing food.

And just the other way around
you're right about raw meat scraps from butcher--
they barely give it a taste.

I think if we avoid feeding them primarily dried grains and bad oils,
then we're making a big improvement.

It became clear to me when I met the veterinarian. He explained that dry food (especially lower-end which is then tastier) is sprayed with fat, chicken fat in Purina I think he said.

narouz

Yeah, exactly.
Like corn meal and or soybean meal sprayed with hardcore pufa!

Maybe the human analog is chips fried in pufa.
potato chips or corn chips fried in pufa and salted.

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
XPlus said:
I think cats are like women, difficult to understand but they definitely wouldn't need too much water if they're mostly on a raw (wet) diet (i.e. meat is about 70-80% water)

I think men are like dogs....oh wait, no. Nope, dogs are more loyal and they definitely don't need as much attention. :lol:

This is an unfair metaphorical advantage to women.
-women=cats doesn't sound perjorative
-men=dogs...probably perjorative

humfree75

I feed my cat red meat and raw milk from a local farmer, kitty seems to do just fine. I also add some organ meat once a week, mostly liver and heart. Same for my dog but I also throw in some white rice, I just can't afford an all meat diet for him.

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
Seriously? I'm gonna just go cough up a hairball....I know, I know....just another catty remark.

Ha!
Yeah, you could put some of that hairball emulsion
on the back of your hand
and then lick it off
for a nice treat. :D

gretchen

My cat only eats sardines, salmon and a little bit of other canned food right now. Pickiness seems to be a big issue. The kitty was a stray so I'm thinking it maybe hasn't eaten a lot of different kinds of foods. It wouldn't eat Fancy Feast liver pate, for ex....
It eats a little ghee. I'm not sure what to do.

XPlus

thebigpeatowski said:
XPlus said:

I think men are like dogs....

How's that working for you

Stilgar

gretchen said:
My cat only eats sardines, salmon and a little bit of other canned food right now. Pickiness seems to be a big issue. The kitty was a stray so I'm thinking it maybe hasn't eaten a lot of different kinds of foods. It wouldn't eat Fancy Feast liver pate, for ex....
It eats a little ghee. I'm not sure what to do.

Maybe try mixing new foods in with salmon gradually - like just a tiny bit to start with and build up. My rescue cat was very picky and that is the only way I got her to eat raw meat or try anything new. She will eat anything now.

Peat's_Girl

narouz said:
thebigpeatowski said:
XPlus said:

Hm... You would probably not like my "men are like plants" metaphor either ;D

narouz

Peat's_Girl said:
narouz said:
thebigpeatowski said:
XPlus said:

It might be okay.
I'm working my way towards Peat's
"soft-firm male animal-flower" thing.... :D

Peat's_Girl

narouz said:
Peat's_Girl said:
narouz said:
thebigpeatowski said:
XPlus said:

It might be okay.
I'm working my way towards Peat's
"soft-firm male animal-flower" thing.... :D

I've been meaning to ask you Narouz, since I've read all of TheBigPetowski's log and you commented a lot. How come you always write in a poetic stanza format? ;D
If you have some hidden poetic talent you need to share it with us, dont fight it ;)

tara

Peat's_Girl said:
If you have some hidden poetic talent you need to share it with us, dont fight it ;)
Hidden. :?: Fight. :?: :)

He needs Garamond to reach his full potential.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals