Peat And Prostate And PSA

PecosRiver

I'm 65, and have had prostate problems for over 10 years. My most recent trans-rectal ultrasound measured my prostate to be the size of a tennis ball.

In typical middle class American ignorance, 10 years ago I followed my Drs. advice and tried Flomax, Avodart, etc. for over 5 years. I added in Saw Palmetto and stinging nettle root. I hated the pharmaceuticals, and for the last 5 years have been free of them. I never did take Finasteride (thank heavens!). With dietary changes and lots of Saw Palmetto my symptoms (2-3 wakeups a night, peeing every 2 hours during the day, etc.) got no worse and I felt dramatically better. January 2016 bloodwork showed a PSA of 5.0 and my urologist got nervous. We did a 4KScore test, which said I had a 7% chance of developing cancer. So I told my urologist "no surgery and no finasteride, let's wait and test".

After finding sites like AnabolicMen.com and PeakTestosterone.com, I became convinced that high estrogen was a large part of the problem, and began taking pine pollen and other pro-androgen substances like tongkat ali and added in several anti-inflammatories like Quercertin, turmeric/curcumin. My January 2017 PSA was 4.2 (and my total T was > 700), and I felt I was on the right track. But having read the testosterone sites negative opinions about Saw Palmetto, I stopped it. I had bloodwork done back in July 2017 and my PSA had gone back to 5.0. SAD!

I discovered Peat and this forum about the same time I had the July blood work done (I was considering bio-identical TRT for my ED). I also discovered the amazing threads talking about PFS and linking Saw Palmetto and supplements with Beta-sitosteral compounds to a milder version of PFS. So now I'm questioning my use of Curcumin, Quercertin, etc. yet panicked that if I do stop them my PSA will go up even higher!

So here are the questions for Peat community:

1. don't worry about the PSA, just be happy?
2. stop taking supplements that interfere with 5-AR and replace with Idealabs 5a-dhp, Diamant, etc.? I would greatly appreciate @haidut 's opinion on this ...
3. aggressively move into tryptophan depletion, lowering serotonin and estrogen, etc. by using Idealabs supplements and Peat dietary changes?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice,

Paul

lampofred

Peat has an article on prostate cancer on his website. I think prostate cancer is a pretty complex issue (just like MPB), but probably the most immediately helpful action to take would be to supplement large doses of progesterone and do the carrot salad to reduce intestinal inflammation.

TreasureVibe

Do you suffer from a varicocele? A varicocele is an abnormal enlargement of the vein bundle in the scrotum.

You can check by comparing the left bundle with the right one. If the left one is dilated compared to the right, you have varicocele. If both are dilated (They're supposed to be very thin and small) you have bilateral varicocele.

There was a guy on a BPH forum who said that he heard about a guy who had his varicocele fixed with surgery, which caused a 70% reduction in size of his BPH. BPH stands for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.

The reason for this is that a varicocele causes testosterone to leak back, into the prostate, causing its enlargement. This has been well documented in scientific studies.

If you have one you could consider getting it fixed through surgery, to improve your prostate treatment outcome.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/iju.12583
Factor Impacting Prostate and Urinary Problems in Older Men Possibly Identified - BPH News
Prostate Cancer: A Newly Discovered Route For Testosterone To Reach The Prostate: Treatment By Super-selective Intraprostatic Androgen Deprivation

Also see Vitamin K: Vitamin K: the missing link to prostate health. - PubMed - NCBI

And this bombshell 2018 study: Varicocele is the root cause of BPH: Destruction of the valves in the spermatic veins produces elevated pressure which diverts undiluted testosterone... - PubMed - NCBI

Bilateral varicocele was found in all 901 patients by at least one of three diagnostic methods. Of those subsequently treated by sclerotherapy, prostate volume was reduced in more than 80%, with prostate symptoms improved. A straightforward pathophysiologic connection exists between bilateral varicocele and BPH.

K2prostatehealth.jpeg

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

TreasureVibe

I am wondering how the OP is doing currently! Also, I've updated the information of my previous post somewhat, in this topic: What Would You Suggest For BPH Prostate Trouble?

And this Ray Peat article:

"...simultaneous treatment of intact...rats with testosterone and estradiol-17beta for 16 weeks consistenly induced a putative precancerous lesion, termed dysplasia, in the dorsolateral prostate of all animals. Since treatment of rats with androgen alone did not elicit the same response, we concluded that estrogen played a critical role in the genesis of this proliferative lesion." Shuk-mei Ho and M. Yu, in "Selective increase in type II estrogen-binding sites in the dysplastic dorsolateral prostates of Noble rats," Cancer Research 53, 528-532, 1993.

Source with full text and recommendations for the prevention of prostate cancer: Prostate Cancer

And an interesting thread: Androgens (DHT, T) Treat Prostate Cancer, Especially When Combined With Vitamin D

The doctor was asked why the avodart prescription, and why "too much testosterone" is the problem when younger men have more. His answer, for the record, was that the swollen prostate provides more testosterone receptors due to its larger size, hence effectively more testosterone reaching and acting on the prostate. He is a leading urologist (spell predictor keeps wanting to say ufologist and maybe that's more accurate) so there's the official line for you. o_O

Source: Summary Of Prostate Improvements

Also interesting information: Cortisol: A Hormone Associated With Prostate Cancer

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals