Pea Protein Powder

Ritchie

What is the consensus on this from a Peat perspective? On paper it looks great, the amino acid profile seems very well balanced with relatively low tryptophan, methionine and higher amounts of glycine, threonine, tyrosine, phenylalanine among others (I've attached a pic of the amino acid table). Any foreseeable issues with absorption and/or endotoxin? I'm thinking it could be an excellent Peat friendly vegetable protein supplement if i'm not missing something..

Pea 1.jpg

Pea 2.jpg

Mage

I've never seen such a low fat pea protein powder!! Where did you buy this???

Plant protein powders normally have a lot of PUFA, but it doesn't seem to be the case with this one

Tenacity

most of the fat is unsaturated.
It's so low in fat anyway that it shouldn't matter in most contexts.

I'd be more worried about the quality of amino acids and contamination. Peat mentioned whey powder being negative due to oxidised tryptophan, I wonder if the same is true for pea protein too.

Mage

But it's 0.2g of unsaturated fat for 20.9g of protein, a pretty decent trade-off.

Mage

Peat mentioned whey powder being negative due to oxidised tryptophan, I wonder if the same is true for pea protein too.
Now that's a valid point! (sorry for double posting =P )

Anyone knows about this?

Buttercup

I wouldn't bother with it.

I've tried a couple of brands, and it definitely feeds endotoxin.

I recently bought dried pea pasta too (which definitely has the same kind of taste/flavour, and is also higher in protein), and again an endotoxin response that made my evening quite unpleasant.

It's just nasty, IMO. The pea is not good food for the gut. Well, not for mine. On the 'no' pile with beans, lentils, wheat and all that other starchy third world garbage (that all these immortal 'long lived cultures' seem to flawlessly digest).

That's just my account, however.

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 39
OP
Ritchie

Ritchie

I've never seen such a low fat pea protein powder!! Where did you buy this???

Plant protein powders normally have a lot of PUFA, but it doesn't seem to be the case with this one
Yes it's very low in fat. The brand is "Vital Protein", just google it. I use the unflavoured one, add it to smoothies etc and am finding it to be very gentle on the stomach so far, feels like very good absorption of the protein too. I've only been using it a few weeks so it's still early days so I'll keep you posted, I don't use much, maybe a table spoon or two a day but so far so good..

OP
Ritchie

Ritchie

It's so low in fat anyway that it shouldn't matter in most contexts.

I'd be more worried about the quality of amino acids and contamination. Peat mentioned whey powder being negative due to oxidised tryptophan, I wonder if the same is true for pea protein too.
The tryptophan is extremely low.. Do you think there still could be an issue regardless? Is that the same of all protein powders?

Mage

The tryptophan is extremely low.. Do you think there still could be an issue regardless? Is that the same of all protein powders?

Thanks for the info on the powder name.

As haidut's once said "There are no rules in Peatland, except avoid PUFA". It's a fair amout of protein with almost no PUFA, If you're liking it, I don't see any reasons why not.

Also, peas are not THAT high in lignans/phytoestrogens, so I don't think it's a problem if you can handle starch well... (just my opinion, please do your own research!)

Last edited:

Motif

I wouldn't bother with it.

I've tried a couple of brands, and it definitely feeds endotoxin.

I recently bought dried pea pasta too (which definitely has the same kind of taste/flavour, and is also higher in protein), and again an endotoxin response that made my evening quite unpleasant.

It's just nasty, IMO. The pea is not good food for the gut. Well, not for mine. On the 'no' pile with beans, lentils, wheat and all that other starchy third world garbage (that all these immortal 'long lived cultures' seem to flawlessly digest).

That's just my account, however.

Hi. Is there any protein powder you tolerate well?

Jib

I've been using a blend of pea protein and rice protein. 70% pea, 30% rice. Great results. One of the keys, and one of the reasons I never experience digestive discomfort from it, is because I always mix in a couple caps of MRM Digest All. I was inspired to do so after reading this study:

Digestive enzymes reduce quality differences between plant and animal proteins: a double-blind crossover study

Conclusion: "Co-ingestion of a plant protein specific digestive enzyme blend (Digest-All® VP) and a pea/rice protein blend increases time to peak, peak concentrations, and amount of amino acid appearance in the blood (AUC) in comparison to pea/rice protein alone, and reduces previously significant differences between WPC and PRPC."

Perhaps it helps prevent endotoxin by more fully breaking down the proteins as well. Just a guess, but when I have the pea protein without enzymes, I seem to get a lot of gas and bloating and general feelings of malaise. These are completely nonexistent when I co-administer digestive enzymes. I simply open the caps and pour the powder into the smoothie mixture in my Ninja blender before running it.

My protein smoothie is: 3 scoops pea/rice protein, cocoa powder, two caps of Digest-All, two bananas, water or milk, and 1 tsp to 1 tbsp C8 MCT oil ("Brain Octane" is what I'm using currently). Blend. Add 1 or 2 tbsp hydrolyzed collagen and blend again.

I usually use 3 scoops of the pea protein mix, and 1 or 2 tbsp of collagen. The collagen I have just started using for the past couple days, after not replenishing my supply for months. I have absolutely noticed mass gain over the past month or two of strength training and supplementing with this.

The enzymes make a very marked difference for me in terms of digestibility: without, I get gas/bloating. With, no ill effects whatsoever.

It is a very cheap and convenient protein source for me, and I'm sticking with it. I would absolutely recommend the MRM Digest All enzymes. They have a pleasant flavor, unlike most digestive enzymes, and absolutely seem to go a very long way with making this protein better absorbed.

boxers

I've been using a blend of pea protein and rice protein. 70% pea, 30% rice. Great results. One of the keys, and one of the reasons I never experience digestive discomfort from it, is because I always mix in a couple caps of MRM Digest All. I was inspired to do so after reading this study:

Digestive enzymes reduce quality differences between plant and animal proteins: a double-blind crossover study

Conclusion: "Co-ingestion of a plant protein specific digestive enzyme blend (Digest-All® VP) and a pea/rice protein blend increases time to peak, peak concentrations, and amount of amino acid appearance in the blood (AUC) in comparison to pea/rice protein alone, and reduces previously significant differences between WPC and PRPC."

Perhaps it helps prevent endotoxin by more fully breaking down the proteins as well. Just a guess, but when I have the pea protein without enzymes, I seem to get a lot of gas and bloating and general feelings of malaise. These are completely nonexistent when I co-administer digestive enzymes. I simply open the caps and pour the powder into the smoothie mixture in my Ninja blender before running it.

My protein smoothie is: 3 scoops pea/rice protein, cocoa powder, two caps of Digest-All, two bananas, water or milk, and 1 tsp to 1 tbsp C8 MCT oil ("Brain Octane" is what I'm using currently). Blend. Add 1 or 2 tbsp hydrolyzed collagen and blend again.

I usually use 3 scoops of the pea protein mix, and 1 or 2 tbsp of collagen. The collagen I have just started using for the past couple days, after not replenishing my supply for months. I have absolutely noticed mass gain over the past month or two of strength training and supplementing with this.

The enzymes make a very marked difference for me in terms of digestibility: without, I get gas/bloating. With, no ill effects whatsoever.

It is a very cheap and convenient protein source for me, and I'm sticking with it. I would absolutely recommend the MRM Digest All enzymes. They have a pleasant flavor, unlike most digestive enzymes, and absolutely seem to go a very long way with making this protein better absorbed.

I have been using the exact same smoothie and so far have good results too

Jib

Awesome! It's a great recipe. The added collagen lately is a nice addition as well, been keeping up with that for the past week plus.

MSH

I would also like to know if Pea Protein is safe to use term as I feel my best when I consume it daily. Does anyone here know the answer to this?

D

Deleted member 5487

What is the consensus on this from a Peat perspective? On paper it looks great, the amino acid profile seems very well balanced with relatively low tryptophan, methionine and higher amounts of glycine, threonine, tyrosine, phenylalanine among others (I've attached a pic of the amino acid table). Any foreseeable issues with absorption and/or endotoxin? I'm thinking it could be an excellent Peat friendly vegetable protein supplement if i'm not missing something..

View attachment 5205
View attachment 5206
I would also like to know if Pea Protein is safe to use term as I feel my best when I consume it daily. Does anyone here know the answer to this?

I use it after protein meals and workouts smacks the Tryptophan out of the brain and competes. Makes me feel much better

D

Deleted member 5487

That sounds great! Which brand do you use? Thanks

365-wHOLE FOODS

"The fatigue produced by “over-training” is probably produced by a tryptophan and serotonin overload, resulting from catabolism of muscle proteins and stress-induced increases in serotonin. Muscle catabolism also releases a large amount of cysteine, and cysteine, methionine, and tryptophan suppress thyroid function (Carvalho, et al., 2000). Stress also liberates free fatty acids from storage, and these fatty acids increase the uptake of tryptophan into the brain, increasing the formation of serotonin. Since serotonin increases ACTH and cortisol secretion, the catabolic state tends to be self-perpetuating. This process is probably a factor influencing the rate of aging, and contributing to the physiological peculiarities of aging and depression."-RP

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals