PCOS and No Amylose Diet

lindsay said:
Good to note about the blood sugar when taking it!! I will keep that in mind :) What are PCOS symptoms?? I only have one ovary now, but I keep wondering if maybe I fall into that category..... then again, I'm supposedly post-menopausal, so maybe that's my issue - don't know. :(

Close to a year and a half ago I was at my doctor visit explaining for the zillionth time all of my symptoms which were: acne, facial hair weight gain, elevated androgens and uncontrolled blood sugar. She looked at my labs and my beard and asked me if I had PCOS. I didn't know what that was at the time and was quite irritated that SHE was asking me. I was turning into Chaz Bono, only with lots of zits. :eek:
gty_chaz_bono_dm_120326_wblog.jpg

Like Jennifer, I was able to get rid of of all of my PCOS symptoms with massive doses of Progest-E. More thyroid meds and more carbs in my diet. Getting gut flora in check has also helped tremendously.

Jennifer

Oh gosh, BP! I so understand! It's so unbelievably frustrating to have doctors look at you for answers to what they should be trained to know. Seriously, it's like personally having to get a medical degree just to go to an office visit.

Jennifer

lindsay said:
I was planning to have more blood work before getting whammed with the appendicitis bills. I could have bought two brand new cameras for my work with what I spent on getting my appendix removed. Sheesh.

Yeah, I can so relate. Within the first two years of getting hurt, I went through $40,000 of my savings just in medical bills alone.

Lindsay said:
My personal experience with NDT (Thiroyd brand) was that it did nothing for me. I felt terrible - like I might as well have not been taking anything. I felt a slight change at 4 grains of Thiroyd, but I thought that dose was ridiculous. So I went back to Cynoplus - a much better product, IMO.

Yeah, I've been thinking for a while now that I should probably try Cynoplus. Can you get it with a prescription?

Jennifer, I buy my Cynoplus and Cynomel from Mexico, no scrip necessary. I was on Armour thyroid for years and I like Cynoplus better than Armour. :2cents

lindsay

Jennifer said:
Yeah, I've been thinking for a while now that I should probably try Cynoplus. Can you get it with a prescription?

I'm not sure if Cynoplus is available on the American pharma market. But you can order it from Farmacia Del Nino for $15 a bottle (so not super pricey). It takes about one month to arrive, so keep that in mind. But I will be one to attest (along with bigpeatowski) that I am still around after taking the stuff :) You can also get Cytomel from the same place. I don't use much cytomel - I just keep a bottle on hand for when I need the extra boost.

http://www.farmaciasdelnino.mx/eng/inde ... 0mcg-50tab

If you don't want to order from Mexico, you can ask your doctor about getting another T4/T3 combo - the ratio in Cynoplus is 4:1.

OP
D

Dutchie

Little late to the game of replies...

@BigPeatowski Thanx for the recommendations of the oliveleaf extract,but I'm curious what was the reason you took it? bc I asked at the store and they mentioned that it's used to treat high cholesterol....
But if it has such severe die-off reactions...I'm not really prepared to go there again after having spent at least 10years of die-off and regrowth (of Lyme and all it's 'friends'.) of which the last 3 years have been the peak. I've had such strong die-off reactions,where at times I felt like I was a walking decaying zombie begging to just die already!
I'm glad that for the last year I started to feel like a 'human' again and enjoying life.
It's not just the physical burden,but moreso the burden it lays on you as a human,a person.....God,the millions of figths I've been in with doctors and other authority figures!...but most importantly the big gap that it created between my mom&sister and me.
I migth be able to clench my teeth and go through the physical stuff,but I can't handle going through all that emotional drama again that the die-off creates....so,I guess the oliveleaf is off the table.
As for garlic...I can't handle that at all...geez it makes me look like I'm pregnant from a Triplet!

But I so recognise what you've said about your emotions stemming from gutimbalances! Thinking of all the years of therapy (though a good part was legitimately necessary) that I wasted....feeling like an alien bc I couldn't easily cope with things that others would easily be done with in a second etc.
And then yes,there's the waterretention/fatgain and black facial and other male pattern hairgrowth which has (and still does) made me feel so ugly&unfeminine...wanting to hide myself,etc.
It's all bc I can't seem to keep my bowels moving through (fast) enough&regularly.

@Jennifer Yeah,I asked at the store for Vitex and they mentioned that it has a longer name and is some kind of herb that's used to balance hormones? They had it in some kind of oil extract? It isn't crazy expensive but I'm just wondering if it migth be something useful to me....bc 'balancing hormones' is kind of a broad vague term to me.

lindsay

Dutchie said:
It's all bc I can't seem to keep my bowels moving through (fast) enough&regularly.

Dutchie - have you tried cascara sagrada or Senna?? I don't know what RP thinks of Senna, truth be told (but I've used a tea with Senna in the past). Now I take small doses of cascara regularly, because nothing is worse to me than being constipated. Keeping my gut clean allows me to naturally go more regularly (which was why antibiotics worked fantastic).

Also, have you had your thyroid levels checked?? Not that it's a cure all, but if you've had any blood work in the past that would even suggest hypothyroidism, it's really hard to solve anything without getting the thyroid in place and it's harder for women because of the darn estrogen issue.

And regarding vitex, it's suppose to help boost progesterone - or balance progesterone and estrogen.

Jennifer

Yeah, J, what Lindsay said. Vitex angus-castus also goes by chasteberry. It's the fruit of the chaste tree and is supposed to support the body's ability to produce progesterone so it's helpful for those suffering with hormonal disturbances/PCOS just like progest-e. There's a quote from Ray where he recommends it so he apparently thinks it's helpful in certain contexts. Anyhow, Vitex would be helpful if you were still having hormonal issues, but since you got your period back, it seems your body is improving all by itself. YAY!

Oh and I hear you about the die-off and feeling like a walking decaying zombie. That's how I've felt and even the most spirited of people would surely feel like rubbish. At that point, you can have the best relationship in the world with family/friends, but it really takes a toll on the relationship because those who are healthy can't always understand what a fight it is just to get up in the morning when you're that sick or why you can't just be your normal self and they feel bad because they don't know how to help you. It's like having the cold, flu or migraine from h*ll that never goes away and yet you still desperately try to function and participate in life so loved ones won't worry about you and this just creates more frustration. Or at least that's how it was for me in the past.

@BP, Thank you for sharing your experience with NDT and Cynoplus/Cynomel. I appreciate it!

@Lindsay, Thank you for the info and link for the Cynoplus. That's good to know about the 4:1 ratio. Ideally I'd get a prescription because my insurance covers the cost, but since cynoplus is really cheap anyways, it won't be a big deal if I pay out of pocket for it. It's just progest-e that's costing a small fortune. :( I probably should see about getting a Prometrium prescription, but I'm hoping I won't have to go that route if we can figure out from all the tests I'm having done, what is causing me the negative symptoms.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Regarding the olive leaf extract, not sure what to make of this:

It was the phenol oleuropein that was responsible for this, they discovered later. [J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2008 Oct;54(5):363-70.] Oleuropein boosted the secretion of adrenalin and noradrenalin in rats, and made the brown fat cells burn more fatty acids.

http://www.ergo-log.com/oleuropein-boos ... olism.html

Edit to add:

5.2. Anti-inflammatory effect

Visioli et al. [36] showed that oleuropein increases nitric oxide (NO) production in macrophages challenged with lipopolysaccharide through induction of the inducible form of the enzyme nitric oxide synthase, thus increasing the functional activity of these immunocompetent cells. It is well known that oleuropein elicits anti-inflammatory effects by inhibiting lypoxygenase activity and the production of leukotriene B4 [48].

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002804/

OP
D

Dutchie

lindsay said:
Dutchie said:

Dutchie - have you tried cascara sagrada or Senna?? I don't know what RP thinks of Senna, truth be told (but I've used a tea with Senna in the past). Now I take small doses of cascara regularly, because nothing is worse to me than being constipated. Keeping my gut clean allows me to naturally go more regularly (which was why antibiotics worked fantastic).

Also, have you had your thyroid levels checked?? Not that it's a cure all, but if you've had any blood work in the past that would even suggest hypothyroidism, it's really hard to solve anything without getting the thyroid in place and it's harder for women because of the darn estrogen issue.

And regarding vitex, it's suppose to help boost progesterone - or balance progesterone and estrogen.

Yes,I've asked at the store for it actually in the beginning when I stumbled upon Peat's work and first read that name. They couldn't find,thus order,anything by that name.
I wish it was just thyroid,or this or that so you'd just have one thing to concentrate on.....but I guess the problem;s that it's a delicate intertwined system of the thyroid/adrenals/liver&gutfunctioning,so it doesn't have a bulletproofsolution like "it's about this or that mineralratio",high/lowfiber etc. When one of them has the sligthest malfunction,it all goes downward.

In the past I've had so many bloodtests and such done....and everything always comes back as 'normal' .so I get replies like:' Learn to live with it/probably hereditary/we don't know,we're gonna sent you back to ..."
Sp,I'm not about wasting my money anymore on things that don't help my any further,especially since the healthrates are going up even more coming this year.

@Jennifer Yes,my period's been back ligthly for one day (though honestly speaking I'd sign up for that deal),only having it to be one day very mildly).

Charlie said:
Edit to add:

5.2. Anti-inflammatory effect

Visioli et al. [36] showed that oleuropein increases nitric oxide (NO) production in macrophages challenged with lipopolysaccharide through induction of the inducible form of the enzyme nitric oxide synthase, thus increasing the functional activity of these immunocompetent cells. It is well known that oleuropein elicits anti-inflammatory effects by inhibiting lypoxygenase activity and the production of leukotriene B4 [48].

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002804/

I'm not smart enough to understand what this second article is saying, can someone else summarize for me please?

Dutchie said:

@BigPeatowski Thanx for the recommendations of the oliveleaf extract,but I'm curious what was the reason you took it? bc I asked at the store and they mentioned that it's used to treat high cholesterol....
But if it has such severe die-off reactions...I'm not really prepared to go there again...

Hi Dutchie, I am taking the olive leaf extract because I seem to have some sort of recurring gut infection. I have struggled with various gut issues my entire life. I noticed that when my guts are functioning properly that my other health issues (hormonal and mental) abate as well. Olive leaf extract is supposedly anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral. Since I cannot spend the rest of my life on pharmaceutical drugs, I'm experimenting with herbal equivalents. Raw garlic works quite well for me, but makes me stink to high heaven and is quite unpleasant to ingest. Olive leaf extract seems to work as good as the raw garlic without the nauseating stink, but it's early in the experiment, so we shall see what the long-term effects are...

OP
D

Dutchie

thebigpeatowski said:
Dutchie said:

But if it has such severe die-off reactions...I'm not really prepared to go there again...

Hi Dutchie, I am taking the olive leaf extract because I seem to have some sort of recurring gut infection. I have struggled with various gut issues my entire life. I noticed that when my guts are functioning properly that my other health issues (hormonal and mental) abate as well. Olive leaf extract is supposedly anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral. Since I cannot spend the rest of my life on pharmaceutical drugs, I'm experimenting with herbal equivalents. Raw garlic works quite well for me, but makes me stink to high heaven and is quite unpleasant to ingest. Olive leaf extract seems to work as good as the raw garlic without the nauseating stink, but it's early in the experiment, so we shall see what the long-term effects are...

Thanx....that's interesting. When I asked about the liveleaf if it has any of those effects,they told me it didn't mention any of those effects and that it is to battle high cholesterol.

tomisonbottom

thebigpeatowski said:
Dutchie said:

How do you feel about the olive leaf now?
I tried the garlic yesterday.....and omg, massive bloating.
I'd also taken cascara and other things though, so I con't be sure that was the cause.

I love olive leaf for many reasons, but I quit taking it three weeks ago because it made me ravenously hungry. I had to eat all day long or else it felt like my blood sugar would drop. My intestines have been doing fine on my own since quitting...so far so good. Same thing happened after the raw garlic, it worked wonders and I was fine for many months. I hope it sticks this time.

Raw garlic has some sort of pre-biotic fiber in it that can ferment and cause bloating/gas depending on what kind of gut bacteria you personally have. I wish we knew more about gut flora.

OP
D

Dutchie

thebigpeatowski said:
I love olive leaf for many reasons, but I quit taking it three weeks ago because it made me ravenously hungry. I had to eat all day long or else it felt like my blood sugar would drop. My intestines have been doing fine on my own since quitting...so far so good. Same thing happened after the raw garlic, it worked wonders and I was fine for many months. I hope it sticks this time.

Raw garlic has some sort of pre-biotic fiber in it that can ferment and cause bloating/gas depending on what kind of gut bacteria you personally have. I wish we knew more about gut flora.

Yeah,I get the same problem too....garlic makes me look like I'm pregnant from a triplet! Andreas Moritz once made an entire video about the dangers of garlic. He was the first healthguru I ever saw that was strongly against garlic.

Things have defenitely complicated and it's hard for me to see and unravel which is the root evil. From what it looks like now fructose&lactose malabsorption/intolerance,so in short carbintolerance&insulinresistance possibly causing all kinds of hormonal imbalances&deficincies,overburdened liver etc. But I suspect,when I look back over the years,fructose&lactose malabsorption have always caused problems and will probably never be ok. And I guess,sadly,eating along the Peat nutritional lines have worsened things again....I'm probably destined to a bland-foods diet if I don't want to go through life as a "bloated,pudgy edema,bearded lady".
Yet emotionally I've never experienced a libido and exilliarated moods like I've had eating this way,but judging by all my (some returning) physical symptoms it's not good for me at all.:'(