Paternal Use Of SSRI Increase Risk For ADHD In His Children

haidut

Forum Supporter
By now even the general public has gotten a wind of just how bad the SSRI drugs are. But most of the studies demonstrating negative effects from SSRI use are focused on the health of the patient taking them or the health of the baby whose mother is taking SSRI while pregnant or during breastfeeding. This new study is interesting because it looks at how SSRI usage by the father impacted his future children. As such, it provides direct evidence invalidating the so-called Weismann Doctrine:
Weismann's doctrine - Dictionary definition of Weismann's doctrine | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary

In other words, medication taken by the father should not be able to influence the risk of disease in his children beyond what his genes already code for. Since taking SSRI increased the risk of ADHD it is obvious that disease risk (in this case) can be changed AND passed on to the next generation without any mutations taking place. But instead of stating that most obvious explanation, the authors say that the reason for the increased risk is due...to the father's pre-existing conditions that necessitated SSRI use in the first place. I don't know how to call this other than pathetic, corrupt muddling of science in defense of profit and status quo!
Hey @GAF, if you want to get riled up even more after the orlistat story, see below.

Prenatal Paternal Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors Use and Risk of ADHD in Offspring
Paternal SSRI Use Before Conception Linked to Offspring ADHD

"...Paternal use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) before conception is associated with increased risk of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in offspring, according to a study published online December 11 in Pediatrics. Fen Yang, from Fudan University in Shanghai, and colleagues conducted a cohort study involving 781,470 singletons born between 1996 and 2008 who were followed through 2013. Children whose fathers used SSRIs during the 3 months preceding conception were identified as exposed..."The mildly increased risk of ADHD in offspring associated with paternal SSRI use before conception could probably be due to the underlying indications related to SSRI use," the authors write."

GAF

It's a good thing I loved getting riled up. Playing golf with a well off gentleman last Sunday whose 17 yr old son is a pothead/dabs who took adhd meds as a kid who was diagnosed with some sort of "genetic" enlarged heart malformation, so naturally the kid adopted an "I am going to die early anyway" mentality and so the kid is basically a worthless pot potato. Meanwhile, the dad feels hopeless and helpless and back in day he was drunk a lot of the time (probably about the time he was injecting sperm into his wife).

Anyway, I blurted out the genetic explanation by the docs is BS and the supposed heart problem is probably just a niacinamide shortage and the kid needs real medical attention and hope for a future as something other than a short-lived sofa dweller.

All that in about 6 holes. I excluded the part about his 2 year effort to save his marriage.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I blurted out the genetic explanation by the docs is BS and the supposed heart problem is probably just a niacinamide shortage

How did that comment go?

GAF

Passed directly through the empty spaces between his ears. "Regular" people my age and up have no context to compute such off the wall comments. That's why I make them. Hoping, one day, someone will actually ask a follow-up question.

DaveFoster

This study's particularly interesting because of the widespread emphasis on the maternal impact of fetal development, but there's this separation of the male's health and that of his gamete.