Pasteurisation

Kemby

Hi guys,

Has anyone got any info on the extent of damage to say orange juice from pasteurisation?

I am aware that minerals are not effected but what about vitamins?

Im pretty sure all enzymes will be fully denatured by pasteurisation.

Drinking it will still give you the full mineral benefit and some of the vitamin benefit but I was wondering what the extent of damage is.

Cheers.

nwo2012

MartinBrown said:
Hi guys,

Has anyone got any info on the extent of damage to say orange juice from pasteurisation?

I am aware that minerals are not effected but what about vitamins?

Im pretty sure all enzymes will be fully denatured by pasteurisation.

Drinking it will still give you the full mineral benefit and some of the vitamin benefit but I was wondering what the extent of damage is.

Cheers.

Vitamin C

Vitamins are more vulnerable to heat destruction than are sugars and minerals. Pasteurization may cause low-level loss of some of these micronutrients. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is the most vulnerable of the vitamins to heat degradation during pasteurization. Fresh-squeezed orange juice contains approximately 124 milligrams of vitamin C per cup; pasteurized orange juice contains approximately 84 milligrams, nearly one-third less.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/54348 ... z26tuaBO35

pete

Ray Peat on the loss of vitamin C in cooked fruits and juices
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AV-Skeptics/message/5519

The loss is slight, and everything except grains will provide vitamin C. Even with everything cooked, I still excreted more than 1000 mg of vitamin C every day. When the grains are excluded, the vitamin C intake is similar to what Linus Pauling called the jungle diet, providing thousands of milligrams per day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals