Parkinson's Disease

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Hi been a long time since I posted so I thought I would give an update to anyone who is interested.

So unfortunately she has historically not been very good at following my supplement recommendations for a long period of time. She flat out refused or would take them only when I was there to give them to her. This is understandable as she is very worried that things will make her symptoms worse and this has happened a few times as she is very sensitive to anything that increases serotonin.

About 6 months ago she went to a neurological doctor who put her on rotigotine which is a dopamine agonist, however it has one side effect which I knew was going to be devastating that is it is a 5-ht1 (serotonin) agonist. When she started on rotigotine she had some initial improvements but it would always start with her being very shaky, nervous and uncomfortable for 4-5 hours and afterwards she would be a lot calmer. So it appears when the serotonin increase died down she would get the positive effects of the dopamine.

However as the months went on the symptoms from the increase in serotonin became worse and worse to the point where it was unbearable. She could not sit still for more than 5 minutes, was constantly sweating with hot flashes, this made her very sad and depressed. The only thing that seemed to give her some relief was when I gave her topically cyproheptadine but it was not enough.

Finally a few weeks ago I got her to stop the patches altogether and gave her ORALLY 4mg of cyproheptadine and topically 100mcg of Lisuride. This was a GAME CHANGER! She instantly had an improvement like flipping a switch. She also started at the same time on a new diet that eliminates any PUFAs (something i've been trying to get her to do forever) also eliminating processed foods and grains that could irritate the gut which is where most serotonin is produced.

I think taking cyproheptadine orally has been MUCH more effective then topically for her, this really has been transformative, she is much calmer, can sleep easier, is much less anxious and her hot flashes and sweats which were almost constant have virtually gone. She also had a very bad back which has greatly improved, i've long suspected the bad back is in large part due to Parkinson's possibly with a connection to high gut serotonin and endotoxin and the oral cypro and change in diet is helping to combat that.

Her current regime is Cyproheptadine in doses of 3-4 mg three times per day and 100mcg of lisuride twice per day.

My next plan is to give her low doses of pregnenolone starting at 10mg and slowly build up. The reason for this is the multifaceted and obviously there is a lot of research on it for its neuroprotective effects but there are studies posted by @haidut that show it being beneficial for back problems.

I have also purchased some Quinine which I will eventually try for its anti-serotonin properties as I believe this may offer other benefits that Cypro does not.

brocktoon

Hi been a long time since I posted so I thought I would give an update to anyone who is interested.

So unfortunately she has historically not been very good at following my supplement recommendations for a long period of time. She flat out refused or would take them only when I was there to give them to her. This is understandable as she is very worried that things will make her symptoms worse and this has happened a few times as she is very sensitive to anything that increases serotonin.

About 6 months ago she went to a neurological doctor who put her on rotigotine which is a dopamine agonist, however it has one side effect which I knew was going to be devastating that is it is a 5-ht1 (serotonin) agonist. When she started on rotigotine she had some initial improvements but it would always start with her being very shaky, nervous and uncomfortable for 4-5 hours and afterwards she would be a lot calmer. So it appears when the serotonin increase died down she would get the positive effects of the dopamine.

However as the months went on the symptoms from the increase in serotonin became worse and worse to the point where it was unbearable. She could not sit still for more than 5 minutes, was constantly sweating with hot flashes, this made her very sad and depressed. The only thing that seemed to give her some relief was when I gave her topically cyproheptadine but it was not enough.

Finally a few weeks ago I got her to stop the patches altogether and gave her ORALLY 4mg of cyproheptadine and topically 100mcg of Lisuride. This was a GAME CHANGER! She instantly had an improvement like flipping a switch. She also started at the same time on a new diet that eliminates any PUFAs (something i've been trying to get her to do forever) also eliminating processed foods and grains that could irritate the gut which is where most serotonin is produced.

I think taking cyproheptadine orally has been MUCH more effective then topically for her, this really has been transformative, she is much calmer, can sleep easier, is much less anxious and her hot flashes and sweats which were almost constant have virtually gone. She also had a very bad back which has greatly improved, i've long suspected the bad back is in large part due to Parkinson's possibly with a connection to high gut serotonin and endotoxin and the oral cypro and change in diet is helping to combat that.

Her current regime is Cyproheptadine in doses of 3-4 mg three times per day and 100mcg of lisuride twice per day.

My next plan is to give her low doses of pregnenolone starting at 10mg and slowly build up. The reason for this is the multifaceted and obviously there is a lot of research on it for its neuroprotective effects but there are studies posted by @haidut that show it being beneficial for back problems.

I have also purchased some Quinine which I will eventually try for its anti-serotonin properties as I believe this may offer other benefits that Cypro does not.
Thanks for the update, Soren. My fiance has had PD for several years, although she isn't on any PD meds at this time. I note that she often sweats profusely, even with minimal exertion. Is high serotonin associated with excessive sweating, do you know?

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the update, Soren. My fiance has had PD for several years, although she isn't on any PD meds at this time. I note that she often sweats profusely, even with minimal exertion. Is high serotonin associated with excessive sweating, do you know?

There is definitely an association with high serotonin and excessive sweating, the stress hormones estrogen, serotonin, cortisol and adrenaline all can reinforce each other and create a feedback loop. I know for my mother since starting on the oral cyproheptadine her sweating has decreased dramatically almost completely gone. The only issue with cypro is getting the right dose because it can be very sedating.

There is a good article by Ray Peat talking about hot flashes

Hot flashes, energy, and aging

Someone else on the forum posted a thread from years ago saying how Cypro completely stopped her hot flashes.

Cyproheptadine killed my hot flashes

ironfist

Interested in this thread. My father might be showing symptoms of parkinsons, and my aunt (his sister) and their dad had it. He is likely very stressed due to years of unhealthy experiences with his spouse.

aliml

Lisuride appears to be an agonist of 5-HT1 receptors as well as α-adrenergic receptor antagonists. Alpha blockers have been shown to help treat Parkinson's disease by enhancing glycolysis.

Lisuride TargetAction
5-HT1A receptorFull agonist
5-HT1B receptorPartial agonist
5-HT1D receptorPartial agonist
5-HT2A receptorPartial agonist
5-HT2B receptorAntagonist
5-HT2C receptorPartial agonist
5-HT6 receptorPartial agonist
5-HT7 receptorFull agonist
D1 receptorPartial agonist
D2 receptorPartial agonist
D3 receptorPartial agonist
D4 receptorPartial agonist
D5 receptorPartial agonist
α1A-adrenoceptorAntagonist
α2A-adrenoceptorAntagonist
α2B-adrenoceptorAntagonist
α2C-adrenoceptorAntagonist

Regina

Wow! Thanks for the update. It's so great that you can implement better strategies.
I can try to send this to my nephew. His father, my oldest brother, was moved into an ALF with parkinson's. No willingness to try something not coming from a Doctor or mainstream article.
Wishing you and her continued success.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Lisuride appears to be an agonist of 5-HT1 receptors as well as α-adrenergic receptor antagonists. Alpha blockers have been shown to help treat Parkinson's disease by enhancing glycolysis.

Lisuride TargetAction
5-HT1A receptorFull agonist
5-HT1B receptorPartial agonist
5-HT1D receptorPartial agonist
5-HT2A receptorPartial agonist
5-HT2B receptorAntagonist
5-HT2C receptorPartial agonist
5-HT7 receptorFull agonist
D1 receptorPartial agonist
D2 receptorPartial agonist
D3 receptorPartial agonist
D4 receptorPartial agonist
D5 receptorPartial agonist
α1A-adrenoceptorAntagonist
α2A-adrenoceptorAntagonist
α2B-adrenoceptorAntagonist
α2C-adrenoceptorAntagonist

Thanks for this Aliml, it is very helpful! Yes Lisuride seems to agonise Serotonin to some degree but in my mum's case anyway it does not appear to produce the same negative effects as rotigotine and the cyproheptadine seems to counter any increase.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think thiamine works so well for some people with Parkinson's is because thiamine helps against lead poisoning, and also copper toxicity, which can cause Parkinson's like symptoms.

Birdie

After I watch this video I'm going to send it to my father, who we think has it.
I would recommend her book too. I've had my husband on thiamine for a couple of years.

Birdie

I think thiamine works so well for some people with Parkinson's is because thiamine helps against lead poisoning, and also copper toxicity, which can cause Parkinson's like symptoms.
That's interesting.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals