Parkinson Disease Is An Energetic/metabolic Disorder

haidut

Forum Supporter
This seems to be one of the more confirmatory studies I've seen recently and the team is already working on providing proof that compounds that fix the activity of "Complex I" (e.g. CoQ10, vitamin K2, T3) will reverse Parkinson disease. By proof I mean in vivo studies using mice.

http://www.vib.be/en/news/Pages/New-dis ... sease.aspx

"...She was able to demonstrate that the defect in Pink1 resulted in the so-called ‘Complex I’ – a protein complex with a crucial role in the energy production of mitochondria – not being phosphorylated adequately, resulting in decreased energy production. When Moraïs and her colleagues ensured correct phosphorylation of Complex I, the Parkinson’s symptoms decreased or disappeared in mice and in patient-derived stem cell lines. The scientists thereby demonstrated that the lack of phosphorylation causes Parkinson’s disease in patients with a defect Pin1 gene."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
One day the truth will finally surface that every disorder is an energetic/metabolic disorder. Ray Peat right again! I need to get a sign like Charlie.

4peatssake

Blossom said:
I need to get a sign like Charlie.
He makes his own. :lol:

[glow=red]Just use the highlighted Red A in your text options (it's called Glow Text) and make your font size as big as you like and voila your very own sign.[/glow]

[glow=red]
Ray Peat Right Again!!​
[/glow]

aguilaroja

An interesting research team. Check these abstracts which include Moraïs as an author. The topics sound a little familiar :-> :

PLoS One. 2013 Nov 11;8(11):e78562. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0078562. eCollection 2013.
Near-infrared 808 nm light boosts complex IV-dependent respiration and rescues a Parkinson-related pink1 model.
Vos M1, Lovisa B, Geens A, Morais VA, Wagnières G, van den Bergh H, Ginggen A, De Strooper B, Tardy Y, Verstreken P.

"...irradiating isolated fly or mouse mitochondria with 808 nm light that is absorbed by ETC-Complex IV acutely improves Complex IV-dependent oxygen consumption and ATP production, a feature that is wavelength-specific....
improvement of mitochondrial function using infrared light stimulation is a viable strategy to alleviate pink1-related defects."

Science. 2012 Jun 8;336(6086):1306-10. doi: 10.1126/science.1218632. Epub 2012 May 10.
Vitamin K2 is a mitochondrial electron carrier that rescues pink1 deficiency.
Vos M1, Esposito G, Edirisinghe JN, Vilain S, Haddad DM, Slabbaert JR, Van Meensel S, Schaap O, De Strooper B, Meganathan R, Morais VA, Verstreken P.

"...mitochondrial dysfunction was rescued by vitamin K(2) that serves as a mitochondrial electron carrier, helping to maintain normal ATP production."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
aguilaroja said:
An interesting research team. Check these abstracts which include Moraïs as an author. The topics sound a little familiar :-> :

PLoS One. 2013 Nov 11;8(11):e78562. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0078562. eCollection 2013.
Near-infrared 808 nm light boosts complex IV-dependent respiration and rescues a Parkinson-related pink1 model.
Vos M1, Lovisa B, Geens A, Morais VA, Wagnières G, van den Bergh H, Ginggen A, De Strooper B, Tardy Y, Verstreken P.

"...irradiating isolated fly or mouse mitochondria with 808 nm light that is absorbed by ETC-Complex IV acutely improves Complex IV-dependent oxygen consumption and ATP production, a feature that is wavelength-specific....
improvement of mitochondrial function using infrared light stimulation is a viable strategy to alleviate pink1-related defects."

Science. 2012 Jun 8;336(6086):1306-10. doi: 10.1126/science.1218632. Epub 2012 May 10.
Vitamin K2 is a mitochondrial electron carrier that rescues pink1 deficiency.
Vos M1, Esposito G, Edirisinghe JN, Vilain S, Haddad DM, Slabbaert JR, Van Meensel S, Schaap O, De Strooper B, Meganathan R, Morais VA, Verstreken P.

"...mitochondrial dysfunction was rescued by vitamin K(2) that serves as a mitochondrial electron carrier, helping to maintain normal ATP production."

I wonder how they deliver the light to the brain. PD is a neurological disorder so they probably have some transcranial delivery method or use lasers pointed at the head from close distance. I think lasers penetrate up to 2in. when pointed through the skull, which is more than enough to reach some brain tissue.
Btw, I found a company in Taiwan that sells thousands of cheap laser pointers exactly in the wavelength range needed for activation of cytochrome C. Here is the link:
http://www.lazerpoint.com/sc-red-laser-pointers

I bought 15 of the 100mW ones (based on a Russian study) and used a rubber band to bundle them together into an improvised light therapy device that I can point towards my head or problematic areas that need concentrated treatment.
It works remarkably well for wound healing, and it gives me a strong mental boost when I point it to my forehead for about 30sec.

aguilaroja

haidut said:
Btw, I found a company in Taiwan that sells thousands of cheap laser pointers exactly in the wavelength range needed for activation of cytochrome C. Here is the link:
http://www.lazerpoint.com/sc-red-laser-pointers...

Thanks for the link. The Vos et al group paper is at this link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 078562.pdf

They describe the tunable lasers they used. It was done in flies and mice, so the depth of penetration needed was less. There's lots to be explored with generative use of light. I think Albert Szent-Györgyi was a prominent influence on Dr. Peat in regard to red light wavelengths.

tomisonbottom

haidut said:
I wonder how they deliver the light to the brain. PD is a neurological disorder so they probably have some transcranial delivery method or use lasers pointed at the head from close distance. I think lasers penetrate up to 2in. when pointed through the skull, which is more than enough to reach some brain tissue.

I bought 15 of the 100mW ones (based on a Russian study) and used a rubber band to bundle them together into an improvised light therapy device that I can point towards my head or problematic areas that need concentrated treatment.
It works remarkably well for wound healing, and it gives me a strong mental boost when I point it to my forehead for about 30sec.

That link doesn't work, can you point me to what you're talking about?
I have a would I'm trying to heal, post surgical, do you think that would work for that?
Thanks!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tomisonbottom said:
haidut said:

That link doesn't work, can you point me to what you're talking about?
I have a would I'm trying to heal, post surgical, do you think that would work for that?
Thanks!

This should work:
http://www.lazerpoint.com/sc-650nm-red-lasers

Yes, it does help with wound healing. I use my "bundle" on a wound for 5min twice a day and it heals without scars.

tomisonbottom

haidut said:
This should work:
Yes, it does help with wound healing. I use my "bundle" on a wound for 5min twice a day and it heals without scars.

Sweet, thanks!
You said you got the 100mw one.......is that this one?:

http://www.lazerpoint.com/p-100mw-inter ... on_0235674

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tomisonbottom said:
haidut said:
This should work:

Sweet, thanks!
You said you got the 100mw one.......is that this one?:

http://www.lazerpoint.com/p-100mw-inter ... on_0235674

I think that was it, but when I bought mine it was on sale for $10.99 and not it's twice that price. Another thing you can do is buy several less powerful ones and bundle them together. The nice thing about these lasers is that they all have adjustable focal point size, so when you make a bundle and you set them to the biggest focal point you get a beam the width of a flashlight, but with the nice properties of red light, and the intensity of a laser. When I use my bundle of 10 lasers set to the widest beam I get an aggregate beam about the size of my palm. Very helpful for larger skin areas that need treatment like spider and varicose veins, larger moles, burn sports, etc.

tomisonbottom

haidut said:
I think that was it, but when I bought mine it was on sale for $10.99 and not it's twice that price. Another thing you can do is buy several less powerful ones and bundle them together. The nice thing about these lasers is that they all have adjustable focal point size, so when you make a bundle and you set them to the biggest focal point you get a beam the width of a flashlight, but with the nice properties of red light, and the intensity of a laser. When I use my bundle of 10 lasers set to the widest beam I get an aggregate beam about the size of my palm. Very helpful for larger skin areas that need treatment like spider and varicose veins, larger moles, burn sports, etc.

I just realized I already have this at home:
http://www.theledman.net/

It's about the same nm, so that would work the same way, right?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tomisonbottom said:
haidut said:

I just realized I already have this at home:
http://www.theledman.net/

It's about the same nm, so that would work the same way, right?

Yes, it should work the same. I bought lasers b/c given the more intense light I think they would have deeper penetration and maybe more powerful localized effect. For instance if you want to irradiate a mole that is 1/10 of an inch in diameter, the laser would be better suited for that. For larger wounds / areas the LED is probably more economical and easy to use.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Kasper said:
@Haidut Does this work better than just incandescent light ?

I don't know if it works "better" but it contains only red light in the right wavelenght, which is what has been studied extensively for various medical issues. Search PubMed for "LLLT" and you will get some studies.

tomisonbottom

haidut said:
Kasper said:

I don't know if it works "better" but it contains only red light in the right wavelenght, which is what has been studied extensively for various medical issues. Search PubMed for "LLLT" and you will get some studies.

How much time per day should I point it on the wound?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tomisonbottom said:
haidut said:
Kasper said:

How much time per day should I point it on the wound?

If it is a red laser, the studies I have seen did 30sec exposure, 5 times a day. The studies claimed it worked on everything - from infected knife cuts to melanoma.

Dayman

haidut said:

I'm totally keen to give this a try. Lazerpoint.com doesn't seem to be working.
know any other good sources? how about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-650nm-660 ... 2c7b58e1d7
can you describe how you powered your lasers, and your basic set up?
Thanks

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peateat said:
haidut said:

I'm totally keen to give this a try. Lazerpoint.com doesn't seem to be working.
know any other good sources? how about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-650nm-660 ... 2c7b58e1d7
can you describe how you powered your lasers, and your basic set up?
Thanks

The ebay laser you listed looks very much like the ones I bought. Btw, lazerpoint.com works for me, and here is the page with all red lasers:

I got 10 of the 20mW ones and used a rubber band to bundle them together. When they are all bundled and set to the widest focal point the bundle forms a large red circle about 4in. in diameter. I point that to any area I want and do the 30sec exposure as described. Each laser takes two AAA batteries and they are supposed to last for 168 hours when continuously on. This gives enough power to have 30sec exposures for quite some time.