Paradoxine/grains Of Paradise Extract

BigChad

Are there any benefits or side effects to using this? It's part of the ginger family; paradoxine is the standardized extract. Supposedly it helps burn brown fat tissue and increases conversion of white fat to brown fat. I haven't found any side effects other than potential GI/urinary irritation.

shine

I think it can be quite liver toxic because of interactions with detox enzymes. I took it for a while, made my balls significantly bigger (increases testicular cholesterol) and increased my temps, but felt toxic after some time.

OP
B

BigChad

I think it can be quite liver toxic because of interactions with detox enzymes. I took it for a while, made my balls significantly bigger (increases testicular cholesterol) and increased my temps, but felt toxic after some time.

Do you think it works similar to black pepper extract (piper nigrum). Would it increase absorption of vitamins and minerals taken along with it.

Btw what was your dosage and frequency of use. You're sure it couldn't have been fillers in the product or anything else?

Last edited:

shine

I took 120mg 2x per day of Paradoxine® (Extract of grains of paradise standardised to 12.5% 6-paradol).
I was also taking prescription medications that get detoxified via the enzymes that it has an interaction with and was generally unhealthy at that time.
Didn't really know what I was doing back then.

I think it would increase absorption, yes. It seems so similar to black pepper (and even feels more irritating when you accidently breathe it in), I would assume they share that effect.

OP
B

BigChad

I took 120mg 2x per day of Paradoxine® (Extract of grains of paradise standardised to 12.5% 6-paradol).
I was also taking prescription medications that get detoxified via the enzymes that it has an interaction with and was generally unhealthy at that time.
Didn't really know what I was doing back then.

I think it would increase absorption, yes. It seems so similar to black pepper (and even feels more irritating when you accidently breathe it in), I would assume they share that effect.

Black pepper and its extract are listed as 5ar inhibitors and also lowering testosterone.
Wow, that's a big dose. I was going to take 50mg paradoxine 4x a week (alongside magnesium and several vitamins, taurine etc).

I wonder if the prescription meds would've been liver toxic on their own? For someone only using supplements and oils would 50mg paradoxine matter

Mauritio

Do you know which enzymes?
This study says its actually liver protective.

shine

Do you know which enzymes?
This study says its actually liver protective.

I think it inhibits some CYP3A's which are responsible for detoxing xenobiotics/drugs.
It is possible that it inhibited the detoxification of other stuff that I was taking at the time and the feeling of toxicity arose due to that.

Mauritio

I think it inhibits some CYP3A's which are responsible for detoxing xenobiotics/drugs.
It is possible that it inhibited the detoxification of other stuff that I was taking at the time and the feeling of toxicity arose due to that.
Thanks for letting me know It is actually true . Haven't read that before .
And I didnt see any peaty drugs on the list that gets metabolized through this enzyme but I dont know if the list on wiki is complete.

shine

Thanks for letting me know It is actually true . Haven't read that before .
And I didnt see any peaty drugs on the list that gets metabolized through this enzyme but I dont know if the list on wiki is complete.

Check out the table on the right.
Several steroids (sex steroids, progesterone, cortisol) get metabolized by these enzymes.
I was taking a synthetic cortisone at the time (this was years back before I knew about RP) and it was most likely hindering the excretion of it and making it more potent, leading to this feeling of toxicity.

Mauritio

Check out the table on the right.
Several steroids (sex steroids, progesterone, cortisol) get metabolized by these enzymes.
I was taking a synthetic cortisone at the time (this was years back before I knew about RP) and it was most likely hindering the excretion of it and making it more potent, leading to this feeling of toxicity.
I mean cortisone is bad even without the inhibition of thia enzyme , so its hard to say how you would have felt without taking GoP .
It would lead to more progesterone in this case which is good. The question is just how significant the effects are , niacinamide is also listed as an inhibitor of this enzyme, so figure...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals